Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 10:59 PM

23 posts, read 46,788 times

Advertisements

I moved recently to the Pittsburgh area and so far my experience has been good and I'm happy. However, I'm a single female in my mid 20s and I have no idea where to meet people and hopefully make a few friends. It's been the third weekend in a row that I've spent most of the time locked in my apartment after an intense week working. I'm not into sports, but I do like museums, concerts/music, coffee, going out for a few drinks, movies, road trips and things like that.

So, where do you meet people in Pittsburgh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 11:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Welcome to Pittsburgh!

Have you checked out Meetup.org for the Pittsburgh area?

Meetups near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - Meetup

Search and scroll through to find things that interest you. Join some groups and attend the events.

These groups are created with the intention of meeting people with similar interests.

You can even create your own meetup group if you want.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:25 PM

Here's are some meetup examples that might appeal to you:

Meetup group for women who are new to the area to meet each other.

The Non-Native Pittsburgher Women's Social Meetup (Pittsburgh, PA) - Meetup

Meetup goup for 20 somethings:

Twenty Something In The City (Pittsburgh, PA) - Meetup

Meetup group for 20 somethings who are new to the area:

Allegheny County's Newest Twenty-Somethings (Presto, PA) - Meetup

Meetup coffee shop group:

Coffee Shop Group (Pittsburgh, PA) - Meetup

Old 03-23-2013, 11:29 PM

Meetup Dinner and a Movie Group:

Pittsburgh Silver Screen Dinner & a Movie (Pittsburgh, PA) - Meetup

Meetup Cultural Arts Group:

The Pittsburgh Cultural Arts Meetup Group (Pittsburgh, PA) - Meetup

Meetup Pittsburgh Singles (not a hookup group)

Pittsburgh Singles (Pittsburgh, PA) - Meetup

Old 03-23-2013, 11:45 PM

You can also meet people volunteering.

Pittsburgh Volunteer Opportunities

The City Paper has a great events section. All categories are possibilities, but think the "other stuff" category has many possibilities for smaller events, like classes, where it's easier to strike up a conversation.

Pittsburgh City Paper | Events

Take a class in something. Like a cooking class or whatever strikes your interest.

Classes, Courses & Lessons in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA

CLASSES | Center for the Arts

CCAC Community Education

The way to meet people is to get out there and start living your life. Explore the city. Find events you like and attend them.

Whenever I moved, I met people via talking to my neighbors (harder when it's cold outside), coworkers, and doing things l enjoyed alone. Even sitting on a bench in a park and striking up conversation. I have a quite a few dear friends I met that way. Then I would meet more people through the people I met. So don't discount anyone of any age. You might meet someone older that you have a common interest, and through that person you could meet people who are closer to your age.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Don't be so quick to discount the sports, either, OP. When my BFF moved to DC she spent some time doing what you are doing. She told me sometimes she didn't talk to another person all weekend. She said her closets were immaculate. Then she joined a work-based ski club. When I raised my eyebrows, as she had never even been skiing, she said she was joining for the summer activities, e.g. picnics, etc. She found she loved skiing! Then her BFF (me) moved to CO and she had a reason for coming out here to ski.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:04 AM

75 posts, read 175,127 times
welcome to the Burgh!! You can never fail meeting new people at local sports bars.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:10 PM

23 posts, read 46,788 times
Thanks for the meetup groups suggestions, I'll check them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: