Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 10:36 AM

75 posts, read 175,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Unless the property is in an undesirable area, most decent/reasonably priced rentals actually almost rent themselves. Most of the independent landlords (those not working with/for the real estate agency) , that I know, would never place their rentals in the hands of an agency, for a couple of reasons. It takes away their (our) ability to effectively choose the best possible tenant and the unnecessary management/realtor commission fees. Many of the rental properties that become available through the agencies tend to be much higher priced, have rental issues, and/or are in/out of the process of being sold- additional factors that the prospective tenant needs to consider.
This above is the reason I am searching now. The reason for us looking is because our rental property has been sold and now the new owners ( Some Agency ) wants to up the rent and it doesn't help that we're out of lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 10:44 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Not having a school requirement is beneficial. What's your rental budget?

Old 03-24-2013, 10:49 AM

I would say 600 to 700 would be comfortable.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:02 AM

Can you do $725? My girlfriend is moving out of a $725/month 3 bedroom townhouse in Turtle Creek in a few months because the rent became too high for her. It's an end unit. It's safe. It looks like a townhouse community built in a pretty park setting. She can view a little playground from her sliding glass door. There are lots of kids playing outside all the time. She probably won't be moving until June, but maybe her property manager has something else available sooner if you can't wait until June.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:10 AM

Talk to everyone you know and ask them if they know of rentals available. That's how my girlfriend finally found a place for less than $725. She had lunch with a high school friend she hadn't seen in years. As luck had it her friend had a relative with a vacant house. She's really getting a deal for the new place. It's a bigger single family home and she'll be paying a couple hundred less a month.

In the meantime, I'll do some digging around. When I was helping my girlfriend find a cheaper place last year, I received lots of great ideas (on here!) that she couldn't do because of school district requirements and needing to live near an ex. Those ideas and places would probably work perfectly for you.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:15 PM

The beauty of the Green Sheet, Pennysaver and newspapers is that some landlords still advertise there and they include their phone numbers.

All of these options have phone numbers:

In this week's Green Sheet, there are two three bedrooms listed, one in New Ken and the other Spring Garden.

Pittsburgh Classifieds,for sale

In this week's Pennysaver, there is a 4 bedroom, 2 bath in New Ken for $650. There are a couple others too.

Pittsburgh Classifieds - Pittsburgh Pennysaver » Real Estate » House For Rent - Allegheny

Scroll down past the terrible non-user friendly map to see the listings in the Post Gazette.

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette | Pittsburgh, PA | Classifieds | For Rent

It seems most landlords in Butler still advertise in the Butler Eagle. Lots of rentals listed here:

Butler Eagle Online ::Butler County's great daily newspaper::

Washington, PA's Observer Reporter has TONS of rentals!

Apartment Rentals | Observer-Reporter Classifieds | observer-reporter.com | The Observer-Reporter | Washington PA news, sports, business, community, opinion, classifieds | Serving Washington and Greene counties, PA

This article was written in November 2012, but who knows, maybe it's still available. LOL

For Rent: 3 BDRM, 2 Bath, pregnant goats incl. | Off Menu | Pittsburgh City Paper

Who knew? The City Paper has property rental classified too!

pennsylvania - apartments for rent - pittsburghcitypaper.ws

Call all of the apartment management and apartment complexes in the yellow pages. The trick is finding ones that have 3 bedrooms.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The beauty of the Green Sheet, Pennysaver and newspapers is that some landlords still advertise there and they include their phone numbers.

All of these options have phone numbers:

In this week's Green Sheet, there are two three bedrooms listed, one in New Ken and the other Spring Garden.

Pittsburgh Classifieds,for sale

In this week's Pennysaver, there is a 4 bedroom, 2 bath in New Ken for $650. There are a couple others too.

Pittsburgh Classifieds - Pittsburgh Pennysaver » Real Estate » House For Rent - Allegheny

Scroll down past the terrible non-user friendly map to see the listings in the Post Gazette.

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette | Pittsburgh, PA | Classifieds | For Rent

It seems most landlords in Butler still advertise in the Butler Eagle. Lots of rentals listed here:

Butler Eagle Online ::Butler County's great daily newspaper::

Washington, PA's Observer Reporter has TONS of rentals!

Apartment Rentals | Observer-Reporter Classifieds | observer-reporter.com | The Observer-Reporter | Washington PA news, sports, business, community, opinion, classifieds | Serving Washington and Greene counties, PA

This article was written in November 2012, but who knows, maybe it's still available. LOL

For Rent: 3 BDRM, 2 Bath, pregnant goats incl. | Off Menu | Pittsburgh City Paper

Who knew? The City Paper has property rental classified too!

pennsylvania - apartments for rent - pittsburghcitypaper.ws

Call all of the apartment management and apartment complexes in the yellow pages. The trick is finding ones that have 3 bedrooms.

thanks HOPES THAT worked out great.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Can you do $725? My girlfriend is moving out of a $725/month 3 bedroom townhouse in Turtle Creek in a few months because the rent became too high for her. It's an end unit. It's safe. It looks like a townhouse community built in a pretty park setting. She can view a little playground from her sliding glass door. There are lots of kids playing outside all the time. She probably won't be moving until June, but maybe her property manager has something else available sooner if you can't wait until June.
I could say 725 if a utility was included in that. That's really at the top of our budget I believe.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homewood_Resident-15208 View Post
I could say 725 if a utility was included in that. That's really at the top of our budget I believe.
I believe water, sewage and garbage is included. I know for certain she pays gas and electric. Garbage is definitely included because there are dumpsters. I'll verify that water and sewage is included.

If it's still the top of your budget, I'll ask her to see if she knows of anything available in what will be her new neighborhood.

Good luck with those phone numbers in the links.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:00 PM

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh