Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 06:44 AM

3 posts, read 4,700 times

Advertisements

Wexfordmom-you did not offend me yourself. It was more the fact that you had this knowledge that offends me and while you do not seem to be outwardly put off by it I can absolutley guarantee you, from first hand discussions, that many of your neighbors are. IT sounds like your children are still young and so you have not had the chance to witness first hand the snobbishness that can be the PR parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 08:57 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I have 3 good friends that live in PR, they have chosen to home-school,
the have/have-not pressure is that bad.
The have/have not thing is more about perception and parenting. Looking at what the OP wrote, I don't even think that will be part of his experience at PR School. Goodness, there are always oddball parents that are WAY over the top.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:58 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
With your positive attitude, you're going to be fine here.
I agree. I think the OP is going to like it here and have a good experience.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:03 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRparent View Post
Wexfordmom-you did not offend me yourself. It was more the fact that you had this knowledge that offends me and while you do not seem to be outwardly put off by it I can absolutley guarantee you, from first hand discussions, that many of your neighbors are. IT sounds like your children are still young and so you have not had the chance to witness first hand the snobbishness that can be the PR parent.
People do know there is some snobbishness in about every school don't they? The dumb pecking order crap that is in grade/middle/high school. Some kids buy into that stuff, some don't. I have a feeling the OP could care less and really doesn't have time for such a thing.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:51 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRparent View Post
Well Speagle, since many people move to Pine specifically FOR its complete lack of "diversity" you can only imagine how upsetting it is for them to realize that what they are trying to avoid is quite possibly right in their midst. You probably have not had the pleasure of meeting this type of person to fully grasp their thinking. Its almost like they feel entitled to completely control their entire environment-everything gets micromanaged in Pine...esp when it has to do with their kids.

Here is the location of the section 8 housing in Richland: it is across from the Giant Eagle where Rt 8 and 910 meet. If you look up on the hill behind the carwash-those brown brick apartments that you can see are them.
Richland still has a lack of diversity. I happen to know which apartment complex you are talking about; Thomas Village; one of my good friends lives in Bakerstown and grew up in West Deer. You can't get any less diverse in my opinion unless you live in a cabin in Alaska.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:40 PM

4 posts, read 7,738 times
Thanks for the compliment Hopes! If that's what it was lol I took it as one. I'm so excited. I'm going to be spending the rest of my break after Sunday with my dad and my brothers are going to show me around a bit. I mentioned some of the places you guys did and my one brother is really familiar with the Mr. Smalls place! He said it's awesome, we're going to do a drive by when I'm down there.

And to neckbeard89, gang violence NEVER crossed my mind, I can't even imagine what kind of 'gangs' would reside around there. I actually giggled at that post. The fact that it's even rare is crazy to me, I mean, I think it'd be non existent! Either way that was really the least of my concerns. I want to make friends besides my brothers because they don't go to the high school, they both go to the vincentian (sp?) school. Whatever it's actually called, I just know it's Catholic.

To h_curtis: you're dead on about me not caring about how much someone doesnt/does have. I just want to meet chill, nice, fun people reguardless of what or where they come from. If I could go thru my whole experience in pgh without having a single conversation about what anyones parents do or how much they make that'd be golden haha. Also I am a she!

But again thanks a bunch you guys!

Old 03-30-2013, 09:48 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
You're welcome! I'm glad to hear your brothers already live here. That's great. They'll definitely be able to show you the ropes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh