Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 12:01 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,807,679 times

Advertisements

As we all know... Market Square underwent a major redesign a few years ago... and new businesses have blossomed in the vicinity.

However, I've noticed lately that a valet parking service has come to dominate the square during evenings. They seem very oppressive and have encroached far beyond their limits to occupy much of the square... making it impossible for a regular person to park. Additionally, there are unsightly cones everywhere blighting the square.

Now they've gone as far to shut down access to the square from Graeme St. by placing cones on the street. I had assumed this was a short-sighted city directive... but apparently this is the initiative of the valet service.

Of course... it turns out the owners of the valet service are political allies of Ravenstahl and Harper... how convenient... so of course they've been able to get away with whatever they want.

I hope this rogue valet service is reigned in (and preferably replaced) before they reverse the progress in this revitalized square.

Impact of Market Square valet-parking service on patrons begins to unfold | TribLIVE

Quote:

Traffic cones placed by valets working in Market Square block access to Graeme Street from Fifth Avenue.

Joe Smetana said he knew something was amiss when a valet told him they “owned” all the parking spots in Market Square.

“No one owns these spots down here. I told them this is not right,” Smetana told the Tribune-Review.

Last edited by Evergrey; 03-28-2013 at 01:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 12:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,614,039 times
That's just wrong.

If there is a valet service in Market Square, they should be driving those cars to the PPG parking garage.

They shouldn't be hogging up public streets, which are supposed to be for, well, THE PUBLIC.

Those cones are like parking chairs, only worse because someone is making a business of it.

I hope someone takes this issue to court.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:39 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,768,265 times
You know there are behind the scenes stuff going on with that scam. What else is new?

Old 03-28-2013, 12:41 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,997,185 times
If they're able to do this because they're buddies with Ravenstahl and Harper, then I would assume the end is in sight for them, or hopefully. Sounds like some audacious insanity to me.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:11 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,768,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
If they're able to do this because they're buddies with Ravenstahl and Harper, then I would assume the end is in sight for them, or hopefully. Sounds like some audacious insanity to me.
I doubt it. It will be business as usual no matter who gets in there. There is money involved, with connections, payouts and a host of other stuff we don't see. IMHO, they shouldn't be allowed ANY valet parking. Taxpayers pay for those streets and parking there. If they want valet parking, they better kick in one heck of a lot of money to take them away from folks spending money down there.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:02 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,997,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I doubt it. It will be business as usual no matter who gets in there. There is money involved, with connections, payouts and a host of other stuff we don't see. IMHO, they shouldn't be allowed ANY valet parking. Taxpayers pay for those streets and parking there. If they want valet parking, they better kick in one heck of a lot of money to take them away from folks spending money down there.
Yeah, the whole thing seems pretty twisted and wrong.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:15 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,822,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I hope this rogue valet service is reigned in
You mean "reined in," by whoever's holding the reins.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:17 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,107,908 times
What's to stop someone from throwing those cones out and parking? Under what law could they be towed?

Old 03-28-2013, 02:50 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,614,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
What's to stop someone from throwing those cones out and parking? Under what law could they be towed?
Good point. Go test it out and report back what happens.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:52 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,807,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Ask Joe Smetana...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh