Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 10:50 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,622,952 times

Advertisements

I've been buying rugs for my new place online. Four to be exact. Make that five. They initially sent the smaller size of the one I wanted. I called and Fedex brought the bigger version, but the Fedex driver said the smaller one would be picked up at another time. That was weeks ago. Shhhh, don't tell.

I've also bought stuff at the mall. But I never thought I'd buy a rug online because I couldn't touch it or see it to determine how I liked the colors, the softness, the quality. But, as long as web vendors have good photos and a good return policy I find it to be much easier than schlepping from store to store to find the perfect rug or many other household items for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 12:59 AM

6,597 posts, read 8,916,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
The first problem with Pittsburgh malls - except the Mall at Robinson - is that they are hard to access. In lots of other cities, malls have their own off/on ramps from the freeways/tollways. The second problem is they're all built in the old-style, with the stores being indoors instead of outdoors. Modern 'malls' imitate downtown business districts. Sometimes even incorporating hotels and townhouses.
I used to despise outdoor malls. I still do dislike most of them, but I realized that's because many of them are poorly done. I really like Tanger Outlets because even though it is outdoors, the shopping area is pedestrian only.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:15 AM

674 posts, read 1,406,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I used to despise outdoor malls. I still do dislike most of them, but I realized that's because many of them are poorly done. I really like Tanger Outlets because even though it is outdoors, the shopping area is pedestrian only.
And there is a lot of cover, which helps with the inclement weather. Now if only they would do something with that horrendous food court and develop the out parcels.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:35 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,816,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
I've been buying rugs for my new place online. Four to be exact. Make that five. They initially sent the smaller size of the one I wanted. I called and Fedex brought the bigger version, but the Fedex driver said the smaller one would be picked up at another time. That was weeks ago. Shhhh, don't tell.
Depending on what rooms and how upscale or practical you want to be, Ollie's gets some nice looking polypropylene Oriental style rugs. You may or may not find something high-end enough to suit you but if it's for a lesser BR or sewing room or something ...

Old 04-06-2013, 02:44 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,622,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
Depending on what rooms and how upscale or practical you want to be, Ollie's gets some nice looking polypropylene Oriental style rugs. You may or may not find something high-end enough to suit you but if it's for a lesser BR or sewing room or something ...
Thanks for the tip, but I went a little crazy buying rugs online and at discount places like Tuesday Morning. I now have plenty of rugs for when the remodeling's finished.

I was amazed at the great deals you can find on very good quality rugs.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:27 PM

146 posts, read 214,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
I grew up going to the 5 story Boscov's in downtown Binghamton with my mom. i always thought that place was a palace, i had never seen such an amazing store and downtown was booming (early 80s). Last time I was there it appeared to still be limping along amidst the wasteland of downtown. I can't imagine there will be any downtown retail left if/when that store closes.
I love the Boscov's in Binghamton. It's still there, and I usually pop in when I'm in town, which is once a month. I want to do my part to support a downtown department store. SUNY is building a lot of housing downtown, so maybe that will perk things up.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:38 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,499,336 times
Wow, I am very careful these days on what I buy online. That's because if I don't like it, I have to wrestle to send it back. If it is a voluminous or heavy thing, shipping might be pricey. Besides there might be re-stocking fees.

In general I prefer smaller stores. Get in and out. As a matter of fact that's one of the reasons I hate going to Giant Eagle as well.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:27 PM

87 posts, read 228,708 times
I didn't realize Pittsburgh Mills was experiencing problems. I shop at Pittsburgh Mills every time I'm in the Pittsburgh area. The last time I was there, I ate at a great Japanese/Korean restaurant, but from what I've read online, the restaurant may now be closed.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:29 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,110,328 times
shopping was the new religion and its temple the mall. its a dying religion. what with the shrinking economy and the internet shopper. the markup at mall stores is an insane price even for the crazed compulsive shopper living on credit. the country does not need malls it needs debtors anon 12 step.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:52 PM

144 posts, read 223,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
shopping was the new religion and its temple the mall. its a dying religion.
Funny you say this, because I once said tongue in cheek to my friend that a mall could be like a sanctuary to Ayn Rand and Objectivism. I wish she was still alive, so I could take her to Ross Park Mall, Robinson, and see if they stand her approval. I would also ask her to perform some kind of blessing on the Mills and a resurrection on Parkway Center Mall

Quote:
the country does not need malls it needs debtors anon 12 step.
Fiscal sobriety is a good thing. Open tabs, literal and figurative, have burned too many before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ancient Oracle View Post
I didn't realize Pittsburgh Mills was experiencing problems. I shop at Pittsburgh Mills every time I'm in the Pittsburgh area. The last time I was there, I ate at a great Japanese/Korean restaurant, but from what I've read online, the restaurant may now be closed.
I worked in the food court at the Pittsburgh Mills in Fall 2011, and the manager said that the food stand I was at was his largest, yet least profitable, out of the 20 or so he owned. It's a bad sign when the stand he owned at Westmoreland Mall was performing better. Come on, Allegheny County has way more people to patronize this mall! Apparently when the Mills opened in 2005, it had the newness factor on its side. The place got so much business that they had to hire enough workers to work like an assembly line, with two people on food, one on drinks, one cashier etc - per side. But yeah, I've seen some vacancies there... I don't mind the mall though, it's easy enough usually to park and get around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh