Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 10:35 AM

697 posts, read 777,796 times

Advertisements

We're looking to move this spring, likely to Fox Chapel or Hampton school districts because of their rankings, the commute times to downtown and proximity to some family.

Within Fox Chapel SD, we're likely looking for homes in Ohara or Indiana township or Aspinwall. Not sure about areas within Hampton. I realize we'll be giving up much of the diversity that we are used to but I will work to keep that in other ways.

In terms of the residential areas and school districts, I'm looking for some insight. I'm a single working mom. I have a friend who is a stay at home mom in the Fox Chapel SD. She said that she doesn't believe that there are many working mothers. I think it may be the circles she hangs in.

Is there a fair population of moms who work in both districts? I realize there are ranges of folks everywhere but am not interested in a general vibe that I'm an outlier for being a working mother!

I'm looking for a commute time of 1/2 hr or under to downtown so would entertain other good SDs in that general area if they fit that criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 10:39 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,535,105 times
Hampton is it's own school district. FC has FC, Indiana, O’Hara, Sharpsburg, Aspinwall, Blawnox.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:17 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
I'm a Hampton mom who grew up in Fox Chapel. I was a SAHM for most of my children's lives. Most SAHMs would become working mothers if they divorced. Don't worry about being an outlier. While these districts do have a higher percentage of SAHMs, there are plenty of working mothers too. You're not missing out on anything. The friendships with other mothers are superficial at best. Most don't survive a conflict between the children or when the children naturally grow apart.

You won't be shunned or excluded for working. Just don't rely on the SAHMs to take care of your children. If you need help with your kids, hire someone. This especially applies to Fox Chapel where a greater number of SAHMs have hired help even though they aren't working. For that reason alone, I'm thinking you might like Hampton better, but you can certainly be happy in Fox Chapel too.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:22 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,525,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy7773 View Post
We're looking to move this spring, likely to Fox Chapel or Hampton school districts because of their rankings, the commute times to downtown and proximity to some family.

Within Fox Chapel SD, we're likely looking for homes in Ohara or Indiana township or Aspinwall. Not sure about areas within Hampton. I realize we'll be giving up much of the diversity that we are used to but I will work to keep that in other ways.

In terms of the residential areas and school districts, I'm looking for some insight. I'm a single working mom. I have a friend who is a stay at home mom in the Fox Chapel SD. She said that she doesn't believe that there are many working mothers. I think it may be the circles she hangs in.

Is there a fair population of moms who work in both districts? I realize there are ranges of folks everywhere but am not interested in a general vibe that I'm an outlier for being a working mother!

I'm looking for a commute time of 1/2 hr or under to downtown so would entertain other good SDs in that general area if they fit that criteria.
Move to Aspinwall. Basically, it is the East End in the Burbs.

As far as working mothers in the Fox Chapel Area School District. It is hit or miss. We live in O'Hara and my wife works. Most of our friends are two income families. However, there are certainly a lot of mothers who stay at home.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:35 PM

4 posts, read 7,041 times
We're planning a move to the Fox Chapel Area for many of the reasons you mentioned. The school where my son will be starting (Fairview Elementary) canceled their After School program because there was not enough enrollment. From what I hear there are many SAHMs and/or nannies in that area.

Since I actually do need after school care, my son will be bussed to O'Hara elementary in the afternoon. Luckily he is very excited about the bus and that school is a little closer to my direction from the city so it all works out.

I do wonder if I will be one of the few working mothers around. I'm not sure how much that will matter. I likely won't be able to make afternoon meet-ups/book-clubs/playdates or volunteer very often so in that sense it can be isolating if everyone else is doing those things except for you. Perhaps I should start an online Meetup for busy moms who can't make it to meetups

Best of luck with your search and move!

Last edited by genxv; 04-03-2013 at 07:44 PM..

Old 04-03-2013, 08:18 PM

398 posts, read 701,834 times
There are plenty of working moms in the neighborhoods of the FCASD (although less so in Fox Chapel proper, in particular). I don't know exactly what the mix is, but it close enough to even that neither side is marginalized, everyone gets along fine, and I haven't seen a hint of the "mommy wars" that the media loves to play up. Good luck!

Old 04-03-2013, 08:19 PM

697 posts, read 777,796 times
Thanks to all of you for your helpful insight!

Genxv, Fairview is a great school! My colleague's children went there years ago and loved it. My friend's child will be at Fairview and I get the same sense that there is apt to be more working parents for kids at Ohara. You may meet other working parents there too.

I agree that it may not matter much. Right now, most of my SAHM friends do social things in the afternoons but we also do things with them at non-work times. Kids and parents connect with soccer and other activities too.

I have to wait til my house is listed/sells to know what we can afford in FC or Hampton SD. So we will likely be at Ohara elementary if we aren't in Hampton SD. Let me know if you start that meet up!

Old 04-04-2013, 09:10 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,525,310 times
Fairview is known as the "Academy". Basically, it is like going to a private school.

Laurie Ann West/Boyd Community Center also has a lot of after school programs.

The number of working parents is really "hidden" because a lot parents use nannies and family members for child care, or they work a flexible schedule, work from home or they work part-time.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:22 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline2 View Post
There are plenty of working moms in the neighborhoods of the FCASD (although less so in Fox Chapel proper, in particular).
True. Very few working moms in Fox Chapel Borough.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:09 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,022 times
We looked at both last year. My kids are in middle school and they did not like Hampton. We ended up in south fayette for their school scores, kids loved it and housing was extremely affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh