Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 03:44 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunade318 View Post
I guess I have to hope my dh finds a job that will offer more $$$. So how much is newer construction in a top school district? 350k? 400k?
So, what does your husband do? What kind of job is he looking for? Jobs galore in Cranberry Twp, as well as newer homes in your criteria.

Cranberry Twp is the fastest growing area in the US. Diverse population (as stated previously) due to Westinghouse, etc, kid friendly, lots of family activities, good restaurants (not only chain), tons of newer to new construction, and yes, you can get a home in your price range and square footage wishlist.

That is the Seneca Valley School District.

New Construction:

373 Wealdstone Road, Cranberry Township, Pennsylvania 16066 (MLS# 946783) - Coldwell Banker Real Estate Services - PittsburghMoves.com

Existing Construction, updated, nice yard, nice kid friendly neighborhood:

905 Glenwood Ct, Cranberry Township, Pennsylvania 16066 (MLS# 952477) - Coldwell Banker Real Estate Services - PittsburghMoves.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 05:25 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OniNoKen View Post
Oh, I meant that tsunade et al should rent responsibly, not to her wish list re: the home. I think we've made the point that her wants might exceed the means as she's represented them. I was just trying to suggest an intermediary step.
Me too.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:11 AM

674 posts, read 1,412,915 times
Quote:
Holy crap on the taxes on these homes!
Hence my comments earlier about whether or not $300K is really your budget for the house. Most out of staters don't realize how our property taxes work. Property taxes in South Fayette (I live in South Fayette, fyi) on a $300K house could be almost $9K a year (roughly).

South Fayette is a top school district, and there is some diversity with a fairly sizeable Indian population. You could get newer houses within your price range. Heck, I built a home with one of the better mass builders for just over your price range. We have a good sized yard, but it may not be as flat as you'd like. Very flat and level doesn't happen a lot around here, and if it does, it might be prone to flooding since flatter yards are sometimes in low-lying areas.

If you would be willing to go with an older house (not old, but 15-35 years old), you could get a decent sized house with a good yard in a good school district for well within your budget.

And since a "top" school district is of utmost importance to you- you're going to have to pay for it. The top school districts tend to have higher taxes.

As to your earlier comments about wallpaper- wallpaper can be replaced/removed. It is a pain, but it is minor in the scope of housing.

In short, as others have said, you may have to compromise.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:01 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OniNoKen View Post
Oh, I meant that tsunade et al should rent responsibly, not to her wish list re: the home. I think we've made the point that her wants might exceed the means as she's represented them. I was just trying to suggest an intermediary step. Like I said before, that is what this house is for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Me too.
I know. I wanted to stress that she needs to lower her expectations as a renter too.

It's important to note the difference between renting in NJ and here. In NJ it's cheaper to rent than to own. Here it's cheaper to own than to rent.

She doesn't seem to understand that homeownership begins in starter homes to gain equity for future newer homes. Any rent she pays is money that can be applied towards equity as a homeowner. Her "wanting it all NOW" is preventing her from seeing the actual process towards the goal. Instead of learning the process, her solution is her husband needs to make more money. He earns a respectable 100k, but it's not good enough for her. I feel sorry for the dude. Her expectations are unrealistic. Instead of accepting that, her solution is that he earns more. IMO two things can result from a wife like that: wealth or divorce.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:11 AM

22 posts, read 30,403 times
I'm not considering an older home because it can get expensive itself...need to replace the roof 10k here...need to replace the waterheater another 10k....my dh is not handy when it comes to fixing house related things so I rather have something low maintenance newer and less likely to cause problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Why don't you consider an older home in good shape in a great school district? That way if your husband doesn't find a higher paying job you can still make the move. Once you're established here he will more than likely get salary increases, your home's value will probably go up which means equity, and then you may be able to move to your dream home in a few years. It sounds like you can't afford to buy in NJ. I just moved here from expensive SF and I'm very glad I made the move. I'm really enjoying my new life here.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:17 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
I'm not considering an older home because it can get expensive itself...need to replace the roof 10k here...need to replace the waterheater another 10k.
I'm going to go to New Jersey and become a plumber until I'm rich. Should take about six months. Anybody else want to in?

Old 04-05-2013, 07:38 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I'm going to go to New Jersey and become a plumber until I'm rich. Should take about six months. Anybody else want to in?
LMAO! That's too funny! Count me in! We'll definitely be rich in a few months!

Old 04-05-2013, 08:02 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
I'm not considering an older home because it can get expensive itself...need to replace the roof 10k here...need to replace the waterheater another 10k....my dh is not handy when it comes to fixing house related things so I rather have something low maintenance newer and less likely to cause problems.
It all depends. Often McMansions are built of shoddy materials, and start having issues within 5-10 years of being built. On the other hand, older houses (Pre-1945) which are still standing and not in very blighted neighborhoods are often in excellent structural shape. Often they are lower maintenance than mid-century houses, which can still have some things like aluminum wiring or asbestos in places.

The bottom line is a house is not like a car, and you cant be assured by buying a new one you're avoiding maintenance problems.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
A well maintained older (in your case I'm thinking no more than 25 years old) home may have a newer roof. If not, the asking price should reflect that. Or, you can use it as a negotiating tool. If you are more flexible on your home wants/needs you can live here in a top school district on your husband's salary. Consider it a starter home. The first house we bought certainly wasn't our dream home. Remember that a home in a top school district will hold its value and appreciate more than one in a lesser school district. With appreciation and salary increases in five years or so you may very well be able to afford your dream home.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
need to replace the waterheater another 10k
That would be some water heater!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh