Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 09:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Hey, I'm not Irish!
I am!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 09:36 PM

Tsunade318,

You can easily live on 100k in Pittsburgh. You can definitely find a suburban house in the suburbs for under 300k too.

What you won't find is a top school district in the suburbs that is diverse. It's not going to happen.

Those are the priorities you have to chose between. If you want all of that and can't compromise, Pittsburgh is probably not for you.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:04 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,648,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You can easily live on 100k in Pittsburgh. You can definitely find a suburban house in the suburbs for under 300k too.

What you won't find is a top school district in the suburbs that is diverse. It's not going to happen.
This is pretty much it. Oh, the top districts aren't 100% white or anything but they are not so diverse that it would be especially notable. Diverse economic backgrounds yes, in some cases. Diverse ethnic backgrounds sometimes. Not so much diverse racial backgrounds.

The amount of income and the house price target do not seem insurmountable to me at all.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:04 AM

22 posts, read 30,395 times
The only reason I like subdivisions is because of kids. I want my kids to have other kids nearby so that they can play together in the neighborhood. I don't like the houses on postage stamp lots that you can see into your neighbor's window though and I definitely don't like chain restaurants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Well, someone who comes on here with a stated preference to live in tract housing in a subdivision in the suburbs more than likely WILL be frequenting those places.

P.S. I like Olive Garden. Bite me! LOL!

Old 04-04-2013, 05:27 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,539,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
My recommendation would be to look in Ross Township. It's in the North Hills School District (good), and for $300,000 you should be able to snag a very nice home there requiring little, if any, updating. It's one of the most convenient communities in the North Hills as far as commuting to Downtown Pittsburgh is concerned, and it also has a TON of shopping/dining options along Route 19/McKnight Road. Your dollar will stretch further in Ross Township than in other North Hills communities with more "prestige" (i.e. Pine/Richland, also known as Gibsonia/Wexford). McCandless Township is another option, and it's just north of Ross Township. That community is in the North Allegheny School District, which is considered to be better than the North Hills School District.

If your preference is for the northern suburbs then you'll pretty much be ruling out your desire for tremendous diversity. Sorry. Copanut doesn't list his location on here as being the "Great White North Hills" without merit. Fox Chapel Area may be a bit more diverse, but you may not find what you're looking for under $300,000 there.

I resemble that remark. The Town of McCandless, as we refer to it, is very diverse. Big white guys, tall white guys, short white guys, rich white guys, and not so rich white guys. Truly a rainbow of diversity.

Ah, maybe not. I will agree with SCR about Olive Garden, gotta love the endless salad bar.

You can't go wrong with Ross township, I lived there for 10 years, close to Downtown and back then I had Bucco season tickets, was a quick commute to the stadium. Taxes are reasonable and the SD is very good. Good Luck!

Old 04-04-2013, 05:46 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,888,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunade318 View Post
I definitely don't like chain restaurants!
Willow is a very good restaurant in the North Hills.

Willow

Old 04-04-2013, 05:50 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,539,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Willow is a very good restaurant in the North Hills.

Willow

As is The Pines, Rico's, and of course, THE OLIVE GARDEN!!!

Plus, a lot of really good dive bars.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:59 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,888,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
As is The Pines, Rico's, and of course, THE OLIVE GARDEN!!!

Plus, a lot of really good dive bars.
The Pines sounds really good. The Pines Tavern. Pittsburgh's BEST Restaurant ! Nationally Recognized and AWARD WINNING ! Pittsburgh fine dining, inside and outside !

And maybe I ought to try Rico's, loving Italian food as I do. Italian Restaurant in Pittsburgh - Rico's Restaurant

Old 04-04-2013, 06:15 AM

I like Olive Garden too. Maybe it has changed. I don't recall a salad bar.

Rico's is a good high end Italian restaurant.

Also check out Spadaforas for a lower priced option with good Italian food.

The Tuscan Inn is also very good.

Last edited by Hopes; 04-04-2013 at 06:27 AM.. Reason: consolidated posts

Old 04-04-2013, 06:22 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,425 times
Hal's is a solid spot in the North Hills. Good service and their food is pretty darn good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh