Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 07:14 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
If you go north, there's white people and Irish people.
I never knew I was biracial!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
This is pretty much it. Oh, the top districts aren't 100% white or anything but they are not so diverse that it would be especially notable. Diverse economic backgrounds yes, in some cases. Diverse ethnic backgrounds sometimes. Not so much diverse racial backgrounds.
You *can* find a sprinkling of South and East Asians in certain suburbs however, so that's not entirely true. Few blacks in good school districts, however, and there are virtually no Latinos out here (and almost all live in the city).

Old 04-04-2013, 07:25 AM

122 posts, read 194,210 times
Here's an example of something in your price range, that mostly meets your criteria. It's not very far from the elementary school at all. There are kids all over that neighborhood. The house will probably feel dated to you. The ceilings will probably also feel low. The yards in that plan are large for the area of town.

417 Wimer Dr, Pittsburgh, PA 15237 - Zillow

Old 04-04-2013, 07:28 AM

122 posts, read 194,210 times
Another in Ross township, closer to your limit, but huge lot. Practically new, built in 1979. Good looking house. It does back up to a mall, but houses in that neighborhood don't stay on the market long, and there's some separation between mall and neighborhood by topography.

529 Woodland Rd, Pittsburgh, PA 15237 - Zillow

Old 04-04-2013, 07:38 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
You *can* find a sprinkling of South and East Asians in certain suburbs however, so that's not entirely true. Few blacks in good school districts, however, and there are virtually no Latinos out here (and almost all live in the city).
There are Latinos in the suburbs. I'm always surprised they aren't Italian women when I hear them speaking Spanish on the bus.

Here's a map with the location of Hispanic locations in Allegheny County.

The Pub | UCSUR

As you can easily see "virtually no Latinos out there," isn't an accurate statement.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
As you can easily see "virtually no Latinos out there," isn't an accurate statement.
Compared to the rest of the U.S., we have one of the lowest percentages of Latinos for a major metropolitan area. I'd be shocked if any school district in the region had more than a 5% Latino enrollment. I think that counts as "virtually no Latinos."

Old 04-04-2013, 07:54 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Quote:
Oh I had that in mind actually. It's a sprinkling, more than a token couple students, sure, but less than someone is likely thinking of as diversity I would have thought. North Hills and/or North Allegheny districts among others will have a few Asians, and probably fewer Blacks and Latinos as you say. Not zero though; if it seemed like I was giving that impression that is not what I meant.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:00 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
When the map is marking each Latino with their own dot, I think it's safe to say the number is very low.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Compared to the rest of the U.S., we have one of the lowest percentages of Latinos for a major metropolitan area. I'd be shocked if any school district in the region had more than a 5% Latino enrollment. I think that counts as "virtually no Latinos."
I won't argue that. The same applies to the city too. Pittsburgh's metro isn't diverse. Allegheny County is 87% white.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
When the map is marking each Latino with their own dot, I think it's safe to say the number is very low.
Agreed. I just took issue with his saying almost all of the Latinos live in the city. They're concentrated there simply due to density. If you look at a map of dots for each white person, it would appear more of them live in the city compared to the suburbs too.

The good thing is Pittsburgh's Hispanic population is growing at an amazing rate.

Vibrant Pittsburgh · Hispanic Population in Pennsylvania Grew More than 80 Percent

Although many are spread out and integrated throughout the county, there are pockets of them in Beechview, Brentwood, South Side and Oakland.

Come Live Here! Attracting Immigrants to the Rust Belt | Rust Wire

Although a percentage of them might concentrate in those areas, I'll bet the overall total of the suburbs is higher than the total in the city limits, merely because there's a greater population of people overall in the wider land area of the suburbs. I don't have time to look up the statistics right now and do the math because I have some deadlines to focus on. Anyone else is welcome to look into it. It won't bother me if I'm right or wrong. I'm truly interested in knowing for sure, not just both sides speculating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh