Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 08:42 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Though you implied in a way they are and if anyone ever showed a decline in the black or Hispanic population as a good thing they'd be a racist. Pittsburgh is mostly white, accept it.
Yea, I never understood those that think if a place isn't a potpourri of races it's somehow inferior; I think this is only an American thing. White guilt or something.

I've been to both Iceland & Botswana & didn't sit around thinking how much better they would be if only you added more black or white people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 06:36 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Yea, I never understood those that think if a place isn't a potpourri of races it's somehow inferior; I think this is only an American thing. White guilt or something.

I've been to both Iceland & Botswana & didn't sit around thinking how much better they would be if only you added more black or white people.
Agreed. I've never understood that either and never felt that made a different city better than ours. I don't understand why every city in the USA needs to have racial demographics like NYC or SF or it's racist or boring.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:12 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Agreed. I've never understood that either and never felt that made a different city better than ours. I don't understand why every city in the USA needs to have racial demographics like NYC or SF or it's racist or boring.
A lot of these people are "foodies", who want to have a thousand different types of ethnic restaurants to eat at, and markets that sell a wide variety of foods. I think they go overboard with it, but i can see some of their point. After all, Pittsburgh used to brag about how having so many European ethnicities made it a fantastic place. Now that those people have been Americanized, the city no longer has the ethnic flavor that it used to.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:55 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
A lot of these people are "foodies", who want to have a thousand different types of ethnic restaurants to eat at, and markets that sell a wide variety of foods. I think they go overboard with it, but i can see some of their point. After all, Pittsburgh used to brag about how having so many European ethnicities made it a fantastic place. Now that those people have been Americanized, the city no longer has the ethnic flavor that it used to.
I can't speak for "foodies" although I certainly enjoy a good ethnic meal. Personally, I don't care who moves to Pittsburgh as there are already a lot of ethnic restaurants here. I just want more of those restaurants to be good and not over-Americanized. At least try to do something outside the standard Mexican/Chinese/Indian/Italian/whatever stuff that 95% of the competition serves up.

Being in the S. Hills, we've got some pretty good ethnic groceries that weren't here 10 years ago. So at least I can cook what I can't get eating out.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:22 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,585,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I'm not so sure. Allegheny City, where the PA funded main line canal terminated, would have been in PA. It might easily be the name everyone knew would have been Allegheny while Pittsburgh might have been relegated to camden status. what if the Pennsylvania railroad had terminated in allegheny city, which seems likely, instead of Pittsburgh due to its state charter?

a side topic is whether or not WV even needs to exist, couldn't they roll it back into VA since the whole slavery issue has been settled?

Slavery really wasn't "the" reason for the split. More so a perceived lack of representation in the VA government. Such a perception would still exist given the disparity in population from one state to another should something as unlikely as joining with VA occur.

Then there is the issue of pride from members of both states. I've been told by more than a few people who grew up along the WV/VA border that even now (apparently some) Virginians have a tendency of holding a grudge over the split. I've never witnessed this personally so I can't say as to whether its true, but I have heard it on numerous occasions from different people.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:23 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,585,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
It would be about the same. PA is Pittsburgh on one side and Philly on the other with Alabama in the middle. We would just add more Alabama, with Morgantown. Of course this is all wild generalization stuff.

A generalization sure, but I think its a valid statement. Rural is rural.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:48 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
A generalization sure, but I think its a valid statement. Rural is rural.
You CANNOT be serious! Have you ever even been to Alabama? My God, that's one of the most invalid statements anyone could possibly make!

I've been all through central PA AND all through the state of Alabama....And I can tell you from direct experience, the most podunk, redneck towns in Pennsylvania seem like bustling metropolises compared to the absolute laughing stock of gene-pool shallowness that is Alabama (or anywhere in the deep south).

Old 04-07-2013, 06:12 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
I never like the Alabama reference towards Pennsylvania. I'm guess there's a couple of smart people that live at Penn State. I do believe that remark came from James Carville when he was running Prez Clinton's campaign.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:44 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I never like the Alabama reference towards Pennsylvania. I'm guess there's a couple of smart people that live at Penn State. I do believe that remark came from James Carville when he was running Prez Clinton's campaign.
There are a couple of smart people in Alabama too.

And you're right, it was Carville. The quote refers to culture, values and voting preference, not intelligence. Which is why football and pedophelia is so popular in Central PA

Old 04-07-2013, 07:08 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
You CANNOT be serious! Have you ever even been to Alabama? My God, that's one of the most invalid statements anyone could possibly make!
I don't believe you have been to both, because if you have you wouldn't have posted you incorrect statement. I have been to both and the statement is very valid. Just look how they vote for example. Hello?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh