Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 08:45 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,643,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
You might like this house in Dormont. It's technically outside the city, but has access to the light rail line, so it's not awful. There's some boroughs just outside the city to the north, like Millvale, Etna, and Sharpsburg, which are affordable and urban-feeling, but most of the housing stock is frame, so it might not be your thing. You can find cheap, historic houses in southern Swissvale as well. In terms of safety, this area can be a bit dodgy, but you can walk to the East Busway and get to downtown or Oakland easily, so it's not awful.
Dormont is better than "not awful." There's a nice little retail area on Potomac. I've tried the bakery and have eaten at the Dor-Stop diner. I didn't realize you could get places for under $100k there. I'd definitely consider Dormont. There was a guy who bought a place in Dormont a few years ago who used to post here. Haven't heard from him in a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 08:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Here's a brick in Brighton Heights for 55k. It's not Victorian, but I think you'll like the character that has been retained inside.

Brighton Heights Real Estate - 3444 McClure Avenue, Brighton Heights, PA, 15212

Old 04-10-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Dormont is better than "not awful." There's a nice little retail area on Potomac. I've tried the bakery and have eaten at the Dor-Stop diner. I didn't realize you could get places for under $100k there. I'd definitely consider Dormont. There was a guy who bought a place in Dormont a few years ago who used to post here. Haven't heard from him in a long time.
I agree. I love Dormont. It's a great eclectic sort of place. I love the businesses there. It's hopping too, not dead and full of empty storefronts. And it's within walking distance to Mt. Lebanon. It's convenient to downtown via public transportation. What's not to love about Dormont?

Old 04-10-2013, 08:51 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
What's not to love about Dormont?
The taxes?

Old 04-10-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
The taxes?

Old 04-10-2013, 08:58 PM

OP, don't be discouraged if there isn't a house available in certain neighborhoods right now.

One will eventually come on the market in your price range. You'll need to hop on it quick when it does. They go fast.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:59 PM

654 posts, read 944,609 times
Quote:
Here's a brick in Brighton Heights for 55k. It's not Victorian, but I think you'll like the character that has been retained inside.

Brighton Heights Real Estate - 3444 McClure Avenue, Brighton Heights, PA, 15212
Thanks for the link to this very nice home, Hopes. Tell me a little about the area it's in, if you don't mind.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:02 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,643,742 times
Quote:
I agree. I love Dormont. It's a great eclectic sort of place. I love the businesses there. It's hopping too, not dead and full of empty storefronts. And it's within walking distance to Mt. Lebanon. It's convenient to downtown via public transportation. What's not to love about Dormont?
Much as I love my place in Crafton, whenever I go to Dormont I wish Crafton had a similar hopping retail area. There do seem to be more young families moving in here so maybe it will spur more retail.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
OP, don't be discouraged if there isn't a house available in certain neighborhoods right now.

One will eventually come on the market in your price range. You'll need to hop on it quick when it does. They go fast.
I know! But, the good thing is, I'll be paying with cash, and cash is king. That should be a pretty good incentive for a seller to accept my offer. There's absolutely no chance of default in my case.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:10 PM

My mom loves Pittsburgh too, and eventually wants to move up (when she can recover what she has in her home in Jacksonville, which is still worth 25% less than what she paid for it). She would like to buy one of those large, turn-of-the-century Edwardian yellow brick homes in Bellevue, one with original woodwork, several original fireplace mantels, stained glass windows--she just loves them! How I wish I could afford one of those beauties!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh