Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 09:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Your budget is $500 to $700. $805 is $3660 more per year than $500. You could save money by waiting to come here to find the $500 place. Find a summer sublet or a room to rent until you find the apartment you want. I moved to a city and lived in a hotel room for a week until I found an apartment. It seems unnecessary to line up the apartment ahead of time--sight unseen--especially when you don't have pets to hinder the search process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 09:29 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Your budget is $500 to $700. $805 is $3660 more per year than $500. You could save money by waiting to come here to find the $500 place. Find a summer sublet or a room to rent until you find the apartment you want. I moved to a city and lived in a hotel room for a week until I found an apartment. It seems unnecessary to line up the apartment ahead of time--sight unseen--especially when you don't have pets to hinder the search process.

Actually that makes a great deal of sense, as a single individual they are probably not moving much more than their wardrobe and personal effects, maybe some electronics- you can buy a new mattress or couch for the cost of moving your old one from Colorado.

Staying in a short term room or apartment, or even the Centre Ave. Y as suggested above, would put the OP into better position to get a good deal.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:40 PM

Even if moving furniture, it can be stored in a storage unit and she'll still save money over renting a more expensive place.

If you rent a summer sublet, you'll make some friends who already know people in the area.

Here's a furnished room sublet in Highland Park for $450 from May until August. It's really cute.

Summer sublet by the park!

There are some as cheap as $300/month too.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:56 PM

$250/month room in Mt. Washington available now until the end of August.

Room in Mt. Washington. Good for grad students!

Old 04-14-2013, 10:56 PM

147 posts, read 182,889 times
Quote:
$250/month room in Mt. Washington available now until the end of August.

Room in Mt. Washington. Good for grad students!
Just texted the guy, he said it's not available anymore.

Quote:
Here's a furnished room sublet in Highland Park for $450 from May until August. It's really cute.

Summer sublet by the park!

There are some as cheap as $300/month too.
Just sent an email, thanks.

Quote:
How much is a hotel room for a week? You think I could get an apartment during that time? I gotta work during the day.

Don't really want to rent a room until I get comfortable back in Pittsburgh again, however the one above seems alright.

Subletting would be nice, but I tried two more this weekend however they decided to go with other people (probably because they were in person, since the number one concern is I can't see the place).

Yeah it makes sense to do a hotel for a week, but I need to look at cost.

Thanks for your help.

805 is not really out of the budget. I already pay 700 here.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:07 AM

146 posts, read 216,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok View Post
Just texted the guy, he said it's not available anymore.

How much is a hotel room for a week? You think I could get an apartment during that time? I gotta work during the day.
You could also look into airbnb instead of a hotel. (http://www.airbnb.com) My partner started his job in Pittsburgh a couple weeks ago, but we can't move into our apartment until May 1. He used airbnb for a week before a nice coworker invited him to stay in their spare room instead.

We found that the cheaper hotels ($50-60/night) are either by the airport, or in Monroeville. This can be not so great for commuting. With airbnb, you might be able to find something comparable in price, but in a more convenient location.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:51 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
I think this hotel does weekly deals, close to Dahntawn.

Comfort Innmore infoAddress:
Relocated from Relocated to Not true? Show all edits Not true?
Placement on map is approximate
4607 McKnight Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15237

Get directions

(412) 415-3867

comfortinn.com
Area served: -

Category:
[LEFT]

[/LEFT]

Unverified listing
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
1 review reviews1 review reviews1 review reviews1 review reviewsWrite a reviewWrite a review

Old 04-15-2013, 06:29 AM

Even though you can afford $805, it just seems wasteful to go past the top of your budget on a place you haven't seen.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:27 PM

147 posts, read 182,889 times
Well the problem is these subleases are gone way too fast.

I've been looking everyday on Craiglist, reply either by email or phone. The ones by phone are always hestitant with me because I have not physically seen the place or by the time they send me an application for a credit check, somebody in the area gets on the sublease.

Seriously they are gone the day they are posted. And that goes for regular leases for these private listings too. And really how the hell am I going to know these private listings are good when I can't see them anyway?

So back to the hotel idea. It's the best idea in theory, the problem for me is I want some sort of "guaranteed" housing. How do I know I will be in a hotel for 2 weeks, 1 month?

I've already moved forward with a 2BR $790/mo, so I can relax and start focusing on my other moving aspects.

I'll probably transfer to a 1BR in 2 months when it becomes available, so that rent will be cheaper then. No big deal.

After the year, start looking for a really great deal privately, and I won't have to deal with trying to sublease out of state.

Thank you all for the help.

EDIT: Yeah I haven't seen the apartment, but I have heard nothing but great things about it and it was recommended on here as well. I'm confident it's probably the best apartment doing this "blind".

Thank God I didn't move on a Lobos Managment apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh