Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 08:04 PM

654 posts, read 944,669 times

Advertisements

I know nothing about these neighborhoods. I have, however, seen a few homes listed in them that I'd seriously consider. So, I was wondering, are these areas safe? Are they walkable? How's public transport there? Are they generally very livable neighborhoods? Are they stable--or do home values there consistently appreciate, even? I appreciate any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 08:13 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times
I like Dormont. Nice retail on Potomac. Dor-stop Diner is fun.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:19 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Very hilly in places. I wouldn't want to live in parts I've seen of Dormont or Brookline without a car.

I suppose you could live close to a main drag, but I don't know enough to be able to tell you which one. Maybe very close to Potomac, as it's on the T?

Old 04-19-2013, 08:24 PM

I don't mind walking up and down hills. Actually, the way I see it, it's good exercise! Do each of these neighborhoods have a business district?

Old 04-19-2013, 08:25 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
I don't mind walking up and down hills. Actually, the way I see it, it's good exercise! Do each of these neighborhoods have a business district?
Dormont does. Google "Potomac Avenue, West Liberty Avenue, Dormont." I don't know about the rest.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:29 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
I know nothing about these neighborhoods. I have, however, seen a few homes listed in them that I'd seriously consider. So, I was wondering, are these areas safe? Are they walkable? How's public transport there? Are they generally very livable neighborhoods? Are they stable--or do home values there consistently appreciate, even? I appreciate any info.
My two cents, although not my part of the city.

Safety: Brookline and Dormont are very safe. Beechview is a little less safe, but it is not any worse in terms of safety than any of the currently "hot" neighborhoods in the East End. The main issue in Beechview is there's a bit of a drug problem, which leads to nuisance crime (break-ins, petty robbery), but there's not gang violence or anything.

Walkability/Transport: All of these neighborhoods are fairly hilly,so walking for long distances can be more difficult than in flatter parts of the city, like much of the East End. Beechview and Dormont are on the only light-rail line in Pittsburgh, which makes getting downtown a breeze. Taking the T always makes me feel like I'm in a real city. Brookline has a bus line which goes down its main commercial thoroughfare, which isn't quite as nice, but no different from what most of the city has.

Livability: All of these neighborhoods have grocery stores and other essentials. Beechview has developed into the nexus of the Mexican community in Pittsburgh, and has authentic Mexican restaurants, and a Mexican grocery, IIRC. There's a smattering of "gentrified businesses" in each neighborhood, but nothing crazy. You'll do fine for essentials, but travel outside of the neighborhood to socialize. Also keep in mind that Brookline, and to a lesser extent Beechview, are huge neighborhoods. Some areas are classically suburban, while others are "streetcar suburban." You'll want to ensure you are in the latter, since you are carless, but looking at houses of a certain age will keep you out of the most remote pockets.

Property values: I would say that Brookline and Dormont are seeing slow, steady appreciation. Beechview is more flat - after inflation there might not be much change in prices here. But they aren't on the decline like nearby Carrick.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Dormont does. Google "Potomac Avenue, West Liberty Avenue, Dormont." I don't know about the rest.
Thanks, Jay. There appears to be a small business district in that vicinity. I'll have to ask my agent to show me when I come up next week. Perhaps this neighborhood, as well as the other two, are worthy of further investigation.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
My two cents, although not my part of the city.

Safety: Brookline and Dormont are very safe. Beechview is a little less safe, but it is not any worse in terms of safety than any of the currently "hot" neighborhoods in the East End. The main issue in Beechview is there's a bit of a drug problem, which leads to nuisance crime (break-ins, petty robbery), but there's not gang violence or anything.

Walkability/Transport: All of these neighborhoods are fairly hilly,so walking for long distances can be more difficult than in flatter parts of the city, like much of the East End. Beechview and Dormont are on the only light-rail line in Pittsburgh, which makes getting downtown a breeze. Taking the T always makes me feel like I'm in a real city. Brookline has a bus line which goes down its main commercial thoroughfare, which isn't quite as nice, but no different from what most of the city has.

Livability: All of these neighborhoods have grocery stores and other essentials. Beechview has developed into the nexus of the Mexican community in Pittsburgh, and has authentic Mexican restaurants, and a Mexican grocery, IIRC. There's a smattering of "gentrified businesses" in each neighborhood, but nothing crazy. You'll do fine for essentials, but travel outside of the neighborhood to socialize. Also keep in mind that Brookline, and to a lesser extent Beechview, are huge neighborhoods. Some areas are classically suburban, while others are "streetcar suburban." You'll want to ensure you are in the latter, since you are carless, but looking at houses of a certain age will keep you out of the most remote pockets.

Property values: I would say that Brookline and Dormont are seeing slow, steady appreciation. Beechview is more flat - after inflation there might not be much change in prices here. But they aren't on the decline like nearby Carrick.
I appreciate the wealth of information!

So, it sounds like all three are safe--even Beechview. Even though, according to what you've said, Beechview has a slight Mr. Pharmacist problem, since I don't do drugs, I most likely wouldn't be a victim of a drug-related crime. That's good to know.

Public transport sounds good in all three, too. That's another plus. I think I'd thoroughly enjoy riding the T! I don't mind hills, because like I said, I would use the hills to keep myself in shape. (Why waste the money on a gym membership or home treadmill when you have Pittsburgh's hills on which to walk or jog?)

If all three have modest yet healthy business districts where I can do a bit of essential shopping, that's a positive, too. They definitely sounds like neighborhoods well worth consideration.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:19 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Brookline has mass transit connections to Pittsburgh on the South Busway, the West Liberty and Pioneer ramps as well as the stop on Whited and Jacob.

Brookline has a fairly attractive business district along the wide Brookline Blvd as well.

Originally built up when the Mt. Washington street car tunnel was opened about 1904, it enjoyed a second growth spurt circa 1960 when many of the Italians and Syrians who were displaced by the building of the Civic Arena moved out there.

Brookline also traditionally has a large number of city police officers who live in the community.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:34 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
I don't mind hills, because like I said, I would use the hills to keep myself in shape. (Why waste the money on a gym membership or home treadmill when you have Pittsburgh's hills on which to walk or jog?)
I like all three of these areas, but the terrain cannot be stressed enough. Walking within the neighborhood is doable, even if hilly, but like Eschaton said, long distance walks can get tricky. And I don't mean solely because of physical effort, but you can run into roads without sidewalks or even non-traversable valleys and hillsides. For example, Crane Avenue in Beechview is a main thoroughfare for the neighborhood, but you'd never be able to walk or bike it from Banksville to Saw Mill Run Blvd. So you'll see things on a map that look close, like going from Beechview to Mt. Washington, but in reality you would be very hard pressed to do it without an automobile or using public transit.

One bit of trivia about Beechview is that Canton Avenue is the steepest paved street in the world.

Beechview has a grocery store. Do Dormont and Brookline have grocery stores? That's a major factor in a car-free lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh