Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 05:26 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jph22 View Post
Hello all. My wife and I are moving to Pittsburgh in 3 weeks and need advice on where to live. We will be looking for a place to rent for around $800. I have heard great things about Shadyside and Squirrel Hill and that general area of town but it looks like most places there are out of our price range. Is Mt. Washington area an ok place to live? I have seen some affordable places to live in that area but have no idea what the neighborhood is like. Is there lots of crime there? Any other suggestions on where to live for a newly married young couple? My new job is downtown and would prefer to take public transportation if possible. Thanks

Mt Washington is fine, it runs the gamut from lower working class to pretty elite if you're up on Grandview.

If its a lower price, its probably a hike to the inclines and the area becomes a bit sketchier, but there is a Mt Washington bus to town and there are steps going down to South Hills Junction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 05:45 PM

7 posts, read 7,787 times
Thanks Spam, will inquire about the location of the rentals I am looking at. Do you or anybody else on this thread know anything about Troy Hill? It seems everyone raves about the east side of Pittsburgh but I haven't seen anything regarding the nw side.....

Old 04-23-2013, 05:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Thanks Spam, will inquire about the location of the rentals I am looking at. Do you or anybody else on this thread know anything about Troy Hill? It seems everyone raves about the east side of Pittsburgh but I haven't seen anything regarding the nw side.....
Troy Hill is a working class city neighborhood. It's run down but safe. Q-tip motha lives on Troy Hill. Send him a message for more details.

The Mexican War Streets neighborhood is also on North Side and it's really cool.

The raving of Shadyside and Squirrel Hill is similar to how everyone raves about the wealthy suburban school districts. They're nice places but obviously not everyone else can live in them.

Other interesting neighborhoods in the East End with business districts where you might find a rental in your price range could be Bloomfield, Friendship, and Lawrenceville.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:58 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:

Troy Hill is certainly close to Pittsburgh, its actually pretty flat on top like a table top, mostly working class and in a state of transition. You could walk to work from up there, but you wouldn't want to walk back after a day of strenuous work. There is bus that goes up there too.

Actually, you might do better in the west in Crafton or Ingram. On the busway, its an easy public transport trip in. You'll save money on wage tax as opposed to the city(1% vs. 3% of your gross wages), and those are fairly attractive communities with a sizable number of rentals that aren't too expensive.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:26 PM

7 posts, read 7,787 times
You all have been really helpful, I really appreciate all the input. Will send Q-tip motha a message, thanks for the advice Hopes. Will also check for places in Crafton and Ingram, good tip about the wage tax Spam. Again all the advice and info I can get prior to my move will help me out tremendously and I really do appreciate it.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Troy Hill is certainly close to Pittsburgh, its actually pretty flat on top like a table top, mostly working class and in a state of transition. You could walk to work from up there, but you wouldn't want to walk back after a day of strenuous work. There is bus that goes up there too.
I am always impressed with how many people I see walking up that big hill though!

Old 04-23-2013, 07:08 PM

Check out Dormont too. I think it's a cool place. Other areas are Bellevue, Brighton Heights, Millvale, Etna and Sharpsburg---all of which have a little more to offer than Troy Hill but are farther away from downtown.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:19 PM

90 posts, read 131,687 times
As someone with a similar budget, I'll warn you that in-unit laundry at that price point is somewhat difficult to find.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallfox View Post
As someone with a similar budget, I'll warn you that in-unit laundry at that price point is somewhat difficult to find.
If you go with the low-rent areas and get a whole house or get a not-so-great place in a nice area, you can install your own laundry if it's not already there.

Even though this place is ugly, this is a great neighborhood and has private laundry. $675 1br.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/3745955535.html

Here's a 2 bedroom in Millvale for $575 with laundry hookups.

1st Flr Apt

2 bedroom in Etna for $625 with laundry hookups.

house for rent

Old 04-23-2013, 10:24 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
In-unit can be tough to find, but in-building laundry isn't rare at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh