Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I Plan to Vote For...
Josh Wander (R) 15 26.32%
Jake Wheatley (D) 1 1.75%
A.J. Richardson (D) 6 10.53%
Bill Peduto (D) 29 50.88%
Jack Wagner (D) 6 10.53%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 01:15 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neckbeard89 View Post
That does not answer the Question. Do you think those neighborhoods are better? Btw what councilman has those neighbirhoods? Did he/she endorse a candidate yet?

Sure those areas have been cleaned up.

And I don't know who Rev. Burgess or Mr. Dowd have endorsed.

What role, if any did the actions of either of their gentlemen have in cleaning up those areas (which were already on the road to recovery before they took office)? And how do those actions make them particularly well qualified to determine who would make a better successor to Ravenstahl?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 01:30 PM

99 posts, read 147,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post

What role, if any did the actions of either of their gentlemen have in cleaning up those areas (which were already on the road to recovery before they took office)? And how do those actions make them particularly well qualified to determine who would make a better successor to Ravenstahl?
I am not sure, I am pretty new to Pittsburgh. I just go by what folks I've met say about how the areas have improved. I still get a lot of eyebrow raises when people find out I lived in Larimer for a little bit. My old boss told me Lawrenceville's revival was the work of Tony Coff and other community leaders, coupled with the new hospital. When we worked on some projects in East Liberty, he said we would never be working on stuff here if it weren't for the new Target and the development nearby in Bakery Square and East Side.

His following projects were all in Warrendale so I haven't worked for him since. I'm curious what spurred everything though.

I only have experience with interacting with Peduto, and thats because I had to contact his office at one of my jobs here. It was something small but it was a positive experience. I didn't know Burgess is a Reverend! Too bad he didn't run!

Old 04-27-2013, 02:23 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neckbeard89 View Post
I didn't know Burgess is a Reverend! Too bad he didn't run!

I'm sure that since Burgess is a pastor with a church in Homewood Brushton, I'm sure he believes he has a higher call from God Almighty.

I'd be really suprised if he gave up his pulpit under those circumstances, as he probably couldn't continue as pastor and mayor simultaneously.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:18 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post

I saw of Peduto's website today that Dowd endorsed him. Also, about the comments about Wagner being anti gay and pro life. While that was in 1990, a brief I saw in the City Paper today showed him like many Americans have changed their views and he is now in full support of marriage equality and while he personally doesn't like abortion apparently he said he's against more restrictions on it. I'm a little torn because there are things I like about both, but I wish Wagner was a little younger maybe and I think Peduto is a little too liberal for most Pittsburghers.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:24 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
Busing was never popular anywhere. Brashear sucks - it was expressly built and created to be a "racially balanced school" by way of extensive busing, and it's currently one of the worst academically performing high schools in the state (573/688), so yeah it was a great success for all involved. It was purposefully built on an inconvenient and obscure hillside in Beechview to symbolize "neutral ground" between students from different neighborhoods. People stay mad about that stuff for a long time. Oh well.
This is a big aside, but I'm making a prediction that when PSSA scores come out for this year, Brashear will make a massive improvement.

If you look at the ways the feeders changed this year, it:

1. Lost its segments of the Hill District (now at UPrep) and Hazelwood (now at Allderdice)
2. Gained the entire Greater West end due to Langley closing.

IIRC, all of the really dicey southern hilltop areas go to Carrick. The only really rough neighborhood which goes to Brashear is Sheraden, and compared to the Hill District or Hazelwood it's not that bad yet.

Thus I think Brashear has the ability to really recover its reputation. Sadly, I also think Allderdice will continue to fade as a treasured option, because since it now has all of Hazelwood, and larger chunks of Greater Homewood, it's not going to do as well as it has historically. It may not be that far off when Brashear performs better, if smart kids keep moving into the magnets in the East End.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:15 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,055 times
Interesting - didn't know the feeder pattern changed.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:58 PM

540 posts, read 868,384 times
Chairman of secretive group behind ad attacking Bill Peduto: Luke Ravenstahl - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
It's nice to see that even though he dropped out of the race, Mayor Luke can stay neck-deep in the sleazy part of it.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:48 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,039 times
Keep it coming Ravenstahl/Wagner! You are digging your holes deeper and deeper. To think, Ravenstahl funneling his leftover million in democrat donations to the swift boat ad agency. Foul.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:55 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
I'm voting for Peduto. I thought I was going to, or else stay home, but this seals it.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:32 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,039 times
Ravenstahl is now throwing a fit in the comments section.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh