Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 10:06 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,302 times

Advertisements

Ironically a woman was shot on Black Street (in Garfield) today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 10:28 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post

Particularly if its gang related, that is definitely a sign that Garfield hasn't turned the corner yet.

The shooting at the Homewood busway station was pretty disturbing- the station is right on the edge of Point Breeze and Homewood and the young nogoodniks involved really hunted out their victim.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Particularly if its gang related, that is definitely a sign that Garfield hasn't turned the corner yet.

The shooting at the Homewood busway station was pretty disturbing- the station is right on the edge of Point Breeze and Homewood and the young nogoodniks involved really hunted out their victim.
Since the MLK Busway shooting (where three Crips gang members randomly robbed, ambushed and fatally shot an innocent young black man) there have been another five shootings in Zone 5 hoods. This includes another fatal shooting in Homewood South (Homewood's 8th homicide this year) & a homicide yesterday in Lower Lincoln near Homewood (second homicide on the border of Homewood and rival neighborhood this year).
Homewood is currently being terrorized by its gang members, as they are not only feuding with each other and rivals from other hoods, they are shooting innocent people. It is borderline unsafe to be in Homewood during the day (particurally if your not from Homewood), as the streets are currently so intense that mistaken identity and crossfire shooting in broad daylight are not uncommon. Yet that's noting compared to how it is after dark. Druggies and unconvincted killers truely lurk in the shadows, alleyways, and overgrowth... IDK if you can say that about any other Pittsburgh ghetto, so at this point a turn around in Homewood seems impossible.
However, I doubt the Garfield one was gang-related, though the motive could be even more disheartening. I can't find the article, but supposedly a woman was randomly shot somewhere in the leg by a young man in a hoodie

Old 10-17-2013, 05:55 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
Since the MLK Busway shooting (where three Crips gang members randomly robbed, ambushed and fatally shot an innocent young black man) there have been another five shootings in Zone 5 hoods. This includes another fatal shooting in Homewood South (Homewood's 8th homicide this year) & a homicide yesterday in Lower Lincoln near Homewood (second homicide on the border of Homewood and rival neighborhood this year).

I heard about the Oberlin shooting as well, it was reported to have been committed by a perp in a red hoodie- I don't know if the "colors" are as important now to the gangs as they were 15-20 years ago.

I thought the Oberlin area, called Belmar Gardens, was a quiet section of the hood built up after WWII for returning vets.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:14 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,435,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
True, but I think race plays into it to some degree. It sucks, but we live in a culture where if prospective parents tour a school, and see that 90% of the students are black, they presume something must be wrong with the school. This is probably nearly as true for middle-class black parents as white parents.
I think NOT. As a middle calss Black parent I judge a school by their results, not by the color of the students. If I toured a school I would already have knowledge of how well it performs, and would not presume anything based on the color of its students. We don't just wander into a school knowing nothing about it, look at the students, and make our decision. In my years I have toured (and my kids ahve attended) many majority Black high-performing schools, too bad they don't make the news.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:16 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:

Family Guy Peter Smokes Crack - YouTube

Old 10-17-2013, 03:45 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,198 times
I have friends who bought and renovated in northern east liberty 7 years ago. They said that during the warm months, they'd hear gun shots at least once or twice a week. 2013 was the first summer where they haven't heard a single gun shot - even from blocks away. In fact, when they heard fireworks one night, they said that they looked up instead of hiding because their immediate reaction wasn't "oh sh1t, gunshots" like it was in years past.

Not to jinx it, but so far there's only been 1 homicide. It was drug related behind an apartment complex on N Negley a couple of blocks north of Penn. This was in early January in the middle of the night.

Unfortunately, shootings and homicides seem to be continuing in the eastern zone 5 neighborhoods. Too many innocent victims (baby in east hills. botched robbery along busway).

Homewood needs to be cleaned up before there's nothing worth a damn left there - when the last of the good people flee or get too old and move into nursing homes elsewhere.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:02 PM

Y***off topic post***
Quote:
I heard about the Oberlin shooting as well, it was reported to have been committed by a perp in a red hoodie- I don't know if the "colors" are as important now to the gangs as they were 15-20 years ago.
Colors aren't as important now; it’s more about bandanas, gang/neighborhood tattoos and X neighborhood/gang shirts/hoodies (which can be made online). In fact, in the streets of Pittsburgh today it’s not uncommon to see a supposed Blood or Crip gang member wearing a rival hood's color clothing/shoes/hats… However, there aren't any rules set in stone or predictable guidelines to follow when it comes to this subject... To some degree you’re at the mercy of the hooligans you pass buy... If they know you, then you have nothing to fear wearing a rival color… But if they don't that's where the risks comes into play, yet in 2013 the odds of getting beat up or worse are probably 1:10. Yet since there is this lack of true consistency I still don't own too many red colored hats/clothes and avoid wearing excessive blue- simply because you eliminate all potential reasons of getting attacked/provoke the wrong cat. This may seem over barring to some, but I think of it as being a step ahead of the game just in case the game gets rough.
Yet colors coincidentally appear to a more prevalent degree during times of heavy feuding. Perhaps it's to prevent cases mistaken identity, but whenever you travel through a rough neighborhood, and all the middle aged-young people are wearing the same color, know that something's off. As it is abnormal in today's gang culture unless there's feuding or some type of gang holiday is going on.
Though bandannas and rags are always consistent of gang colors… Within the Zone 5 neighborhoods for example, in Homewood, and Lincoln-Lemington, the bandannas worn by gang members are blue (or black on the left side); in the East Hills and Garfield its red (or black on the right side); and in Larimer, the East Liberty Gardens Apts/Enright Court Townhomes, and Wilkinsburg it’s black. While White, Camouflage and American Flag patterned bandannas have regained popularity in urban apparel across the country, and are sported by mostly all gangs.
Long story short colors don't matter as much as they use to. While this shooting could easily be gang-related but if so, the perpetrator doesn’t have to be a Blood because of the red hoodie. This could be Larimer Vs Lincoln or Homewood Vs Lincoln, but my guers is it was a drug despute between former associates.

Quote:
I thought the Oberlin area, called Belmar Gardens, was a quiet section of the hood built up after WWII for returning vets.
No southern Belmar Gardens aka the Lemington-Cadwick working class section is still rough and gang affiliated; while its been this way since the early 90's. There are some lower class residents & very few lower middle class residents scattered in with mostly working class folk, but this area was once solidly middle class. Shootings aren’t uncommon here, but at least in and around Chadwick Park it isn’t as rowdy as Paulson Playground and the surrounding area. And going by the definition that Lemington Ave separates Upper and Lower Lincoln (instead of Lincoln Ave), it is sub-section of the Lower Lincoln sub neighborhood/side of the neighborhood. The safest streets in Lincoln-Lemington-Belmar besides Broadcrest Drive & Rose Garden Road are: Wiltsie Street, and the blocks of streets in northern Belmar Gardens (in Upper Lincoln) that near the Penn Hills boarder. The only notable difference about Belmar Gardens inducing the Lemington-Chadwick is that there aren't as many crews as the side of Lower Lincoln across Lincoln Avenue. Though know less is not the same as none. That whole area is a hotspot. You see Everton Street's crew is aligned as Uptown Homewood Crips (since they reside in the Homewood North Apts which happen to be located in Lincoln-Lemington), and doesn't get along with any of the near by streets in the Lemington-Chadwicc (or Lincoln for the matter). While Apple Street's crew is affiliated as Lincoln Avenue Crips despite being closer to Homewood side of the boarder between rival Crip hoods Homewood & Lincoln. Within just Homewood North there are rival streets, so Homewood which has rival northern (Homewood N) and southern (Homewood S) and (Homewood West around Dallas Park only gets along with the Mohler Projects & Wheeler Street) is just a mess

@pman my irony was that MikeInPittsburgh mentioned saftey on Black St and a shooting coincidentally happen there yesterday.

Quote:
I have friends who bought and renovated in northern east liberty 7 years ago. They said that during the warm months, they'd hear gun shots at least once or twice a week. 2013 was the first summer where they haven't heard a single gun shot - even from blocks away. In fact, when they heard fireworks one night, they said that they looked up instead of hiding because their immediate reaction wasn't "oh sh1t, gunshots" like it was in years past.

Not to jinx it, but so far there's only been 1 homicide. It was drug related behind an apartment complex on N Negley a couple of blocks north of Penn. This was in early January in the middle of the night.

Unfortunately, shootings and homicides seem to be continuing in the eastern zone 5 neighborhoods. Too many innocent victims (baby in east hills. botched robbery along busway).

Homewood needs to be cleaned up before there's nothing worth a damn left there - when the last of the good people flee or get too old and move into nursing homes elsewhere.
East Liberty is getting out of the mix, gang activity from Negley Ave to Highland Ave (all inclucive) south of Hays Street either no longer exist is down to a two decade low. The only reason I still have doubt is the gang graffiti which has reappeared off the second rowhouse patch on Hays Street. Yet if that gang is still active, all feuds with other hoods have quieted down and in 2012 they had a complete break down. Unlike the other near by Zone 5 majority low income black neighborhoods, where gangs are still very much in play.

Last edited by Uptown kid; 10-17-2013 at 06:17 PM..

Old 10-17-2013, 06:11 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,198 times
Quote:
***off topic post***
East Liberty is getting out of the mix, gang activity from Negley Ave to Highland Ave (all inclucive) south of Hays Street either no longer exist is down to a two decade low. The only reason I still have doubt is the gang graffiti which has reappeared off the second rowhouse patch on Hays Street. Yet if that gang is still active, all feuds have quieted down; unlike the near by Zone 5 majority low income black neighborhoods, where gangs are still very much in play.
That same graffiti all happened in one night. They hit 100 or so garages, vacant buildings, real estate signs, etc. A lot of it has been cleaned up except for some decrepit garages in alleyways.

Rumor around is that it was a group of 14-16 year-old kids from Lincoln who came and did it.

They also spray painted a bunch of girls' names in the middle of the street, which was quickly painted over by the city.

Those rowhouses are mostly controlled by ELDI at this point and slated to be renovated this winter or the Spring. I think there are 1 or 2 holdouts, but they are mostly going to be redone - likely to look like these two that sold this year:

713 Mellon which sold for 188k with multiple offers
713 Mellon Street, Pittsburgh PA - Trulia

and 721 Mellon which sold for 156k with multiple offers
721 Mellon St, Pittsburgh, PA 15206 - Zillow

I'm not saying that it is totally quiet, but it has changed in that quadrant between East Liberty Blvd and Stanton for the better over the past 7 years and I think this past year or two it has flipped to the point that it is only going to get better.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying that it is totally quiet, but it has changed in that quadrant between East Liberty Blvd and Stanton for the better over the past 7 years and I think this past year or two it has flipped to the point that it is only going to get better.
With out a doubt! IMO the new quadrant is mainly 5500block of Black Street, & Negley/Mellon/N St Clair/N Euclid/N Beatty St. between Hays St & the Blvd (including Hays & the Blvd). Yet that area isn't too bad anymore, and is currently getting better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh