Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 04:26 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,215,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
That might be not too far down the pike.

Yesterday, Rob Pratte was talking with Rep. Murphy on KDKA and they were really excited about the development of the region's gasfields, and investments like the cracker plant and Chevron's new office park in Moon.

The speculation of those guys was that more jobs would be created from gas than were lost when the steel industry declined 30 years ago.
Well, that would be tens of thousands then. I'll believe it when I see it; re-industrialization of that scale would be almost miraculous. I'm relatively uninformed about the industry, but how many more jobs are really likely to be added? What I understand is that development last year was actually put on hold in many places because the supply was outpacing demand, and excess gas would depress prices, which extractors obviously do not want. If things are stagnating this early on in the 'boom' it's hard to imagine how tens of thousands of more local jobs will be added without significantly expanding how the product is used, e.g., to power vehicles, replace coal, to be exported, etc. Even then expansion will be done utilizing as little human labor as possible because that is what is cheapest for the company and most profitable for the shareholders. It would be nice for the region, though.

Last edited by Clint.; 05-12-2013 at 05:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 04:36 PM

654 posts, read 940,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
How is it a stupid word? It has a specific meaning, lower income folks being pushed out by higher income folks because the cost of housing rises due to them moving in. If the rents in an area that were previously affordable to low income people become unaffordable due to higher income people moving in... then yes, that's gentrification. Gentrification isn't a synonym for "fantastic area," though some might misuse it in that way.

Gentrification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If this is your definition of gentrification, then in my opinion, gentrification isn't necessarily a good thing. It sounds like a bunch of yuppies coming in and driving up property values--driving them up so high, in some instances, that middle-income people such as myself are precluded from buying. When people of moderate means get priced out of the market, which I imagine is a consequence of gentrification, that's truly tragic.

I very recently bought a home in a nice, safe, walkable neighborhood, and I hope many, many others have the same opportunity for years to come.

I have a question that's sort of related to your topic: Why are homes so inexpensive in Elliott? I've never been to the neighborhood, and I'm obviously not in the market anymore, but I was just curious. Here's an example of what I mean. Perhaps someone else will see this house and jump on it. It has some very attractive interior details (hardwood floors, possibly a marble Victorian-era mantle) and it's quite affordable: 1017 Elkton, elliott, PA 15220 (MLS# 961370) - elliott PA Real Estate - PittsburghMoves.com

Old 05-12-2013, 08:35 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,564,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
I have a question that's sort of related to your topic: Why are homes so inexpensive in Elliott?
Because Yuppies, hipsters, etc, don't want to live there.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:43 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,622,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post

Seriously though, is it a safe area? My son will be attending college here in the fall and I'm interested in finding inexpensive safe areas for him to look for a place. He'll be staying with me at first, but I think we'll both be happier if that is a short term arrangement.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:20 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,355,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post

Seriously though, is it a safe area? My son will be attending college here in the fall and I'm interested in finding inexpensive safe areas for him to look for a place. He'll be staying with me at first, but I think we'll both be happier if that is a short term arrangement.
Parts are ok, while parts are gang affiliated (still not dangerous). It was historically a gritty white neighborhood, but the neighborhood has overall declined ever since the BroadHead Manor Housing Projects & Westgate Village Section 8 Apartments closed down... At worse Elliott is edgy like current day West Oakland or South Oakland, so safety would be a slight issue, but noting major. East Sheraden and even what's left of Fairywood south/east of the park are dicer...

Old 05-12-2013, 09:28 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,564,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post

I haven't been there in 6-7 years but it seemed ok but run down at the time. It doesn't border anything special so I don't see it getting nicer anytime soon.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:59 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times
Quote:
I haven't been there in 6-7 years but it seemed ok but run down at the time. It doesn't border anything special so I don't see it getting nicer anytime soon.
The West End Overlook is in Elliott. I'd move there just to be within walking distance of that awesome view!

Old 05-13-2013, 12:45 PM

654 posts, read 940,487 times
Quote:
Well, honestly, who would want to live among yuppies and hipsters? Who can deal with the profound level of snobbery of the yuppie or the hipster who thinks he's truly unique by being exactly like everyone else in his in-group? lol Me, I'd rather live alongside regular, non-pretentious working people who aren't trying to keep up with the Joneses. That's why I actually prefer non-fashionable neighborhoods within cities.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:55 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,576,494 times
Yeah, but your non-pretentiousness is soooooooo pretentious.
For the love of God, the vast bulk of us are just trying to manage a career, raise a family, pursue a few hobbies, and carve out a little space that's ours, while eating and drinking and making merry, but as soon as you make enough money to eat a little higher on the hog, people start ragging about how boring you are now that you can afford nicer food. Will no one speak up for the downtrodden and misunderstood yuppie?

Old 05-13-2013, 01:31 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
Yeah, but your non-pretentiousness is soooooooo pretentious.
For the love of God, the vast bulk of us are just trying to manage a career, raise a family, pursue a few hobbies, and carve out a little space that's ours, while eating and drinking and making merry, but as soon as you make enough money to eat a little higher on the hog, people start ragging about how boring you are now that you can afford nicer food. Will no one speak up for the downtrodden and misunderstood yuppie?
Don't forget the fro-yo and the psycotherapy for pet poodles!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh