Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 07:51 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Highland Park will always have plenty of run-down houses due to the nature of its housing stock; there just aren't that many people who want to live in a mansion that is that close to East Lib and Larimer. So the big houses get cut up into apartments.
I think there was a major influx of gay men into Highland Park a few decades back who began restoring some of the grand houses, similar to what happened a bit earlier in the Mexican War Streets. I don't think a neighborhood has to fall into ghetto, or even working-class, to gentrify though. If lower-middle class is replaced by upper-middle class the same transformation is happening.

Quote:
Shadyside is a major student neighborhood, and likely always will be, so it will always have some slummy-looking housing.
Shadyside has not only gentrified, but is the the only neighborhood which has neared complete gentrification. As Hopes noted, it was a hippie neighborhood originally. My wife still went to punk shows there in the 1990s. Now Walnut Street is clearly the most yuppie-oriented, chain-dominated commercial thoroughfare in the city. Many of the students are CMUers whose parents are independently wealthy, and buy them condos, which means it's less dumpy then you would think. Given so many other places have now become student areas in Pittsburgh (back in the 90s, everyone who didn't live at home lived in Oakland or Shadyside), the student component will probably only weaken with time.

Quote:
I'm not sure that people priced out of Lawrenceville will spur serious gentrification elsewhere. Prices in Lawrenceville may have gone up, but it still isn't that expensive, generally speaking (some 4-5 bedroom houses on Fisk, Main etc. and new-construction yuppie condos notwithstanding). The people who are looking for a house for like 80k and who complain that they can't find that in Lawrenceville...well, when they buy their house in Troy Hill or Millvale or whatever, will they really be gentrifiers? Or will they be poor folks looking for a cheap place to live?
The asking price for the average house in Lawrenceville (meaning, something which isn't a gut job or in an alley) seems to be around $200,000 to $300,000. Sellers might not net that much however.

First wave gentrifiers are typically lower income regardless, which is why they are the first wave and get gentrified out.

Quote:
I don't know. My main point is, with the whole school district/taxes situation, there just aren't that many middle-class-or-above people who have any intention of living within the city limits, and this city will never be a major draw for young professionals or wealthy people like NYC, San Francisco, LA, Chicago, etc. I think the people who claim that "some day East Liberty, Garfield, Larimer (really? I mean, really?), Hazlewood, Troy Hill, Spring Hill, Fineview, the Hill District, Central Northside, and Manchester will all be gentrified" are engaging in some serious wishful thinking. This is Pittsburgh, not San Francisco.
Every area might not be gentrified. But we're already at the point where basically all non-ghetto parts of the East End have higher real estate prices than the county-wide average. When you factor in South Side Flats, and the Lower Northside, you nearly have the entire "core" of the city, at least in terms of walkable areas near downtown or Oakland that aren't in the ghetto, already gentrified to some degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Magarac View Post
Gentrification means, literally, a takeover by members of the "gentry," or people of gentle birth (i.e., good families, good education, good place in society). By that definition, Shadyside has always been gentrified. It was built by the Scots-Irish bankers and millowners who ran Pittsburgh in its earliest days, and even in the 1950s their descendants considered it a Scots-Irish Presbyterian enclave (Annie Dilliard talks about this at length in "An American Childhood"). By the 1970s and 1980s, the sorts of gentry living there had changed - it had switched from bourgeois Scots-Irish Presbyterian homeowners to hippy-ish artist and student renters - but artists and students are members of the gentry, too. In a world where fewer than half of college-age kids attend college (that's now; in the 1970s it was 25% or less), even poor college students are not that poor.
There's some pretty modest ranches which were built as infill right next to stunning Victorian mansions in West Shadyside, which says to me the neighborhood did go through a comparably unfashionable period in the mid-20th century.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:01 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
SCR, I think you're being more broad with the term "gentrification" than I am, but by your standards I would include Beechview & Brookline as neighborhoods with the right "bones." You could also include the Stip District and Downtown as already gentrified.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Mostly gentrified neighborhoods that will continue to see infill wherever possible in the coming years to help ease current housing shortages:

Bloomfield
Central Lawrenceville
Central North Side
Lower Lawrenceville
Lower Manchester
Polish Hill
South Side Flats
South Side Slopes
I disagree with you big time regarding South Side Flats. Some younger renters are moving there, but outside of Pius street, it's not that expensive at all (majority of houses still put on the market for under $150,000, many for under $100,000). Most of the houses which go on the market are junk quality as well. I'm actually not sure it's going to gentrify any time soon as well - all the new construction in South Side flats is creating premium rentals, which is depressing the prices of the lower-quality rentals, which in turn is making the Slopes less desirable.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:09 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Shadyside has not only gentrified, but is the the only neighborhood which has neared complete gentrification. As Hopes noted, it was a hippie neighborhood originally. My wife still went to punk shows there in the 1990s. Now Walnut Street is clearly the most yuppie-oriented, chain-dominated commercial thoroughfare in the city. Many of the students are CMUers whose parents are independently wealthy, and buy them condos, which means it's less dumpy then you would think. Given so many other places have now become student areas in Pittsburgh (back in the 90s, everyone who didn't live at home lived in Oakland or Shadyside), the student component will probably only weaken with time. .
Not originally it wasn't a hippie neighborhood. It was middle and upper middle class people in the 1800's through mid-1900s. It was hippies in the 1960's and through the 80s lots of renovations and development made it a yuppie neighborhood. It was pretty yuppie in the 90s. It is also mostly rentals, which are students and grad students. There are a lot of really dumpy houses in Shadyside.

Quote:
The asking price for the average house in Lawrenceville (meaning, something which isn't a gut job or in an alley) seems to be around $200,000 to $300,000. Sellers might not net that much however.
This is only true because of all of the new construction at Home and Hatfield. Otherwise it would be just under 200k.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:15 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Quote:
I think there was a major influx of gay men into Highland Park a few decades back who began restoring some of the grand houses, similar to what happened a bit earlier in the Mexican War Streets. I don't think a neighborhood has to fall into ghetto, or even working-class, to gentrify though. If lower-middle class is replaced by upper-middle class the same transformation is happening.
I think Crafton has the potential for this happen given the amount of big historic homes that are still very reasonably priced when compared to similar homes in Shadyside, etc. Crafton is small and doesn't have a big inventory of homes for sale, but for people like me who can't afford the pricier neighborhoods in Pittsburgh and want a safe area with great old houses, it fits the bill.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:20 AM

172 posts, read 333,090 times
Quote:
I think there was a major influx of gay men into Highland Park a few decades back who began restoring some of the grand houses, similar to what happened a bit earlier in the Mexican War Streets.
I think you might be thinking of Friendship. I know that there was a major influx of gay men into Friendship in the late 1980s - early 1990s who began restoring some of its grand houses. I am not aware of any similar influx in Highland Park. I've lived in both neighborhoods and speak at first hand.

Quote:
I don't think a neighborhood has to fall into ghetto, or even working-class, to gentrify though. If lower-middle class is replaced by upper-middle class the same transformation is happening.
Agreed, 100%. Neighborhoods that "go ghetto" or hit rock bottom are in many ways unlikely to gentrify - consider Homewood. It's more common for a lower-middle-class neighborhood to become middle- to upper-middle-class - consider the South Side and Lawrenceville.

Quote:
Shadyside has not only gentrified, but is the the only neighborhood which has neared complete gentrification. As Hopes noted, it was a hippie neighborhood originally. My wife still went to punk shows there in the 1990s. Now Walnut Street is clearly the most yuppie-oriented, chain-dominated commercial thoroughfare in the city.
As I noted above in a reply to Hopes, I disagree with the idea that Shadyside has ever been anything other than gentrified at any point in its history. It was built by relatively wealthy people (i.e., the Presbyterians who lived there for 100 years before the 1960s) and has always been inhabited by relatively wealthy people - emphasis on relatively as well as on wealthy.

The fact that Shadyside was a hippie neighborhood from around 1965-1985 (before yuppification set in) does not mean that it wasn't also a gentrified neighborhood during that period. Hippies weren't the sons and daughters of plumbers and steel workers; they were the sons and daughters of doctors and bank presidents. In short, they were the gentry - even if they were doing their best to pretend otherwise.

To put things another way, the reason why neighborhoods like the South Side and Lawrenceville were able to gentrify had to do in large part with a passing of a large group of people (in both neighborhoods, mill workers) which created vacant spaces - vacant homes, vacant storefronts - for a new group of people to inhabit. East Carson Street had a 60% vacancy rate among storefronts in the first year or two after the J&L mill closed. Shadyside never became vacant or depopulated to anything like that extent, which suggests that it was always relatively popular and thus never needed to gentrify.

To put things yet another way, when a neighborhood is going through gentrification it usually has two disparate groups of people - in the South Side, they used to talk about two kinds of blue hair (belonging to punks and old ladies). In Shadyside circa 1977, those two groups of people would have been the traditional Presbyterian homeowners and their rebellious hippie kids - which implies that Shadyside did not so much gentrify as start expressing its privilege in a different way.

Quote:
There's some pretty modest ranches which were built as infill right next to stunning Victorian mansions in West Shadyside, which says to me the neighborhood did go through a comparably unfashionable period in the mid-20th century.
I don't think there are all that many such ranches, and the ones that I know about are just functions of the fact that somebody in 1975 had some vacant land in Shadyside, decided to build a house, and - this being 1975 - decided to hell with contextualism and to just throw up something contemporary. In other words, the people who built the ranches probably had some money but no taste.

Last edited by Joe Magarac; 05-01-2013 at 08:32 AM..

Old 05-01-2013, 09:11 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,496 times
most of the ranches in Shadyside, Highland Park, etc are areas where the owner of a mansion decided to subdivide their lot to build or sell to a builder to make money. Most of them are next to mansions - not where other houses were demolished.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I disagree with you big time regarding South Side Flats.
Argh, I meant slopes, which should be obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
This is only true because of all of the new construction at Home and Hatfield. Otherwise it would be just under 200k.
I dunno...looking on Zillow, I see the following, discounting new or newish construction

Lower Lawrenceville - North of Penn
1 BR, 1.5 BA Loft - $335,000
3 BR, 2 BA House - $285,000
2 BR, 1 BA House - $80,000 (gut job I'm sure)

Lower Lawrenceville - South of Penn
3 BR. 2 BA - $215,000
3 BR, 1 BA - $115,000
2 BR, 1 BA - $114,000
3 BR, 1 BA - $99,000

Central Lawrenceville - South of Butler
3 BR, 2.5 BA - $265,000
5 BR, 2 BA - $230,000
2 BR, 1 BA - $120,000 (in alley)

Central Lawrenceville - North of Butler
3 BR, 2.5 BA - $299,750
1 BR, 1 BA - $235,000 (condo)
2 BR, 1 BA - $225,000
3 BR, 1 BA - $224,900
2 BR, 1.5 BA - $219,900
1 BR, 1 BA - $209,000 (condo)
2 BR, 1 BA - $137,500 (under 900 square feet)
1 BR, 1 BA - $124,900 (in alley)

Upper Lawrenceville:
3 BR, 1.5 BA - $144,900
3 BR, 1 BA - $95,000 (in alley)
2 BR, 2 BA - $69,900 (in alley)
3 BR, 1 BA - $59,000
2 BR, 1 BA - $17,997 (for sale by owner, gut job, but he must be an idiot)

In general, this fits with what I said. Houses are not put on the market for under $200,000 in Lawrenceville unless.

1. They are in Upper Lawrenceville
2. They're in the "no-man's land" south of Penn close to Bloomfield
3. They are gut jobs
4. They are in an alley

The only exception is the house on 44th, which as I mention, is under 900 square feet. It also has no yard, because alley houses are directly behind it. It's virtually an alley house itself.
Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by Yac; 05-02-2013 at 09:50 AM..

Old 05-01-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Magarac View Post
I don't think there are all that many such ranches, and the ones that I know about are just functions of the fact that somebody in 1975 had some vacant land in Shadyside, decided to build a house, and - this being 1975 - decided to hell with contextualism and to just throw up something contemporary. In other words, the people who built the ranches probably had some money but no taste.
Some of the ranches are quite dumpy. Moorewood has a ton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh