Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 01:20 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times

Advertisements

As a resident of Brookline I will give you a breakdown of my street....
House 1: A quiet mother, daughter and a dog who mind their own business
House 2: A rental, that has been rented by the same family for years. (they own a BMW)
House 3: Married couple, grown children. Very quiet
House 4: Single guy with a dog and an MBA.
House 5: Single woman with 2 dogs.
House 6: Rental, with a family that seems to be on the rougher side, but hardworking and respectful.
House 7: Eldery man
House 8: Large family with multiple generations living in one house (they also own an BMW)

Each street can is def going to be different, but during the day esp for the next few months you would expect to hear children yelling and playing outside and after dark it is basically silent. Sometimes I find it eerily silent. The houses are all well built and well maintained for the most part, but they are older. Overall, you will see a lot of older folks, but has been an influx of younger people moving in. Noting to cause a housing crush or anything, but the area is trending younger. Heck it couldnt get much older than it was. Also there are trashy people in Brookline, but there are trashy people everywhere. I may be out of my mind, or just have really low standards, but it is by far the best place I have lived in the Pittsburgh area. (As a former resident of Shadyside, Greentree, Wilkins, and South Side)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 01:25 PM

19 posts, read 35,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
As a resident of Brookline I will give you a breakdown of my street....
House 1: A quiet mother, daughter and a dog who mind their own business
House 2: A rental, that has been rented by the same family for years. (they own a BMW)
House 3: Married couple, grown children. Very quiet
House 4: Single guy with a dog and an MBA.
House 5: Single woman with 2 dogs.
House 6: Rental, with a family that seems to be on the rougher side, but hardworking and respectful.
House 7: Eldery man
House 8: Large family with multiple generations living in one house (they also own an BMW)

Each street can is def going to be different, but during the day esp for the next few months you would expect to hear children yelling and playing outside and after dark it is basically silent. Sometimes I find it eerily silent. The houses are all well built and well maintained for the most part, but they are older. Overall, you will see a lot of older folks, but has been an influx of younger people moving in. Noting to cause a housing crush or anything, but the area is trending younger. Heck it couldnt get much older than it was. Also there are trashy people in Brookline, but there are trashy people everywhere. I may be out of my mind, or just have really low standards, but it is by far the best place I have lived in the Pittsburgh area. (As a former resident of Shadyside, Greentree, Wilkins, and South Side)
This is a perfect example of what I was looking for. I'm starting to lean toward Brookline! Sounds like a nice neighborhood!

Old 05-06-2013, 01:37 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
They're both streetcar suburban in terms of feel, although further away from the T in Beechview, and Brookline Boulevard in Brookline, they become more classic suburban.

I can't think of anything one would find disagreeable about Brookline, even for someone who is a bit nervous about cities. It has low crime. It was 91% white in 2010. A lot of police have historically lived there, who tend to watch out for people on their blocks. It's a solid, lower-middle class neighborhood, although it's undoubtedly still in the "Yinzer belt."

Beechview generally considered a bid dodgier, along with a bit more racially diverse (81% white, around 12% black, and around 7% Latino). There are some drug issues in the neighborhood, and occasional break-ins, but no major incidents of violent crime. If you found a house near the T, however, your mother might find that a big advantage, and of course depending upon where you are in Mount Lebanon it might make it easier for you getting back and forth to see her. Property values are a bit depressed compared to Brookline, but it's not like it's in a downward spiral to being a ghetto or anything.

While the wage tax is higher in the city, property taxes are much lower, so if your mother no longer works, it would be financially advantageous for her to be in the city limits.
Not true.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:49 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
What is considered low taxes? I pay less than $1 a sqft for combined city and county property taxes. Granted, I don't have kids yet so I am not concerned that with the school district, but I doubt her mother is either.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:00 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Not true.
I don't have the most recent information, but I have a file with all 2009 mil rates. At that time, Pittsburgh's millage (24.72) was lower than any nearby municipalities in the near South Hills area. Mount Lebanon, for example, was 32.56

There are of course places in the county with lower mil rates, but most of them are in the North Hills or in the western part of the county. There were none in the South Hills as of four years ago, although a few (Pennsbury Village, Scott Township, Thornburg) came close and may well be lower now.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:08 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times
I'd like to chime in on Brookline, as well. A friend of ours (art teachers and successful local artist) bought a great house in Brookline last year and we've been visiting him. He lives on a very quiet street with many neighbors who have been in the neighborhood for generations. They're helping him plan his garden this year and offering advice on who to call to do small home repairs. People know each other and seem to watch out for each other.

The main thoroughfare, Brookline Blvd., has a lot of good neighborhood stores that serve the local population and attract people from other areas on weekends. There's a great Mexican grocery store that sets up a taco stand outside with a line of people waiting for delicious home made tacos. Lots of other little locally-owened stores, as well. Also a nice branch of the Carnegie Library and a coffee shop that is a neighborhood gathering place.

He's found the neighborhood to be quiet and very safe.

It's true that younger people have started buying in Brookline because it's more affordable than the East End, close to the city but off the beaten path. WQED did a documentary on the neighborhood last year that I believe is still available to view on their website.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I don't have the most recent information, but I have a file with all 2009 mil rates. At that time, Pittsburgh's millage (24.72) was lower than any nearby municipalities in the near South Hills area. Mount Lebanon, for example, was 32.56

There are of course places in the county with lower mil rates, but most of them are in the North Hills or in the western part of the county. There were none in the South Hills as of four years ago, although a few (Pennsbury Village, Scott Township, Thornburg) came close and may well be lower now.

30.41 is the new millage rate for the City. 38.25 for Mt.Lebo, all things equal, I would take Mt. Lebanon, better bang for your buck.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
The millage rates are easy to look up on the county website.

http://www.alleghenycounty.us/treasure/millmuni.asp

Old 05-06-2013, 02:52 PM

Not that it matters, but I've lived all over this area. First property I purchased was in Dormont about 100 years ago. Thought I would keep it forever, it was a duplex. Pretty much lived for free and could walk to the T. But the taxes are nuts. 36.72 mills, I now live in McCandless with a 28.11 millage rate, where do you think the better bang is?

When purchasing any property in the Greater Pgh Area, you really have to weigh the taxes and the school district.

Ah, my two cents.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:58 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
Quote:
High taxes and Democratic policies
or choose high taxes and Republican policies. The city should incorporate this into a sales pitch, oh wait the city is gaining in population while most of the South Hills is losing people....

Time to retire tired AM radio talking points don't ya think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh