Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 07:21 AM

19 posts, read 35,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy7773 View Post
"My question is, is it unfair of me to label these people as a "trashy broken family?" If so, I apologize. What label should I use in order to ask others on the forum if this is the typical type of resident in a certain neighborhood?"

How about "prostitutes, drug addicts and criminals." That way you could ensure that you don't get any trashy intact, married couples who do those things either.
Point taken, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 08:25 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Generally speaking is seems as if a lot of city neighborhoods are getting better. However, it really only takes one rental to ruin a block. I was speaking with a friend the other day and his main complaint about living in Morningside was a rental on the corner.

I think the Original poster has to really consider where her mother is coming from when making a decision. Brookline could be considered great if you are moving from an area like Homestead, for example, or it could be a dump if are moving from an area like Sewickley.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:26 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pghmommy View Post
What label should I use in order to ask others on the forum if this is the typical type of resident in a certain neighborhood?
"The multigenerational, drug-addled mess next door"?

More descriptive of them, less judgmental-sounding of you.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:29 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,855,823 times
Pghmommy

Would your mother consider a condo? My parents recently purchased a 3 bedroom condo in Mt. Lebo and I was surprised at how cheap some of the available condos are currently. Your mother may be able to afford a 2 bedroom condo in Lebo with her budget.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:33 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post
Pghmommy

Would your mother consider a condo? My parents recently purchased a 3 bedroom condo in Mt. Lebo and I was surprised at how cheap some of the available condos are currently. Your mother may be able to afford a 2 bedroom condo in Lebo with her budget.
Something to consider especially since many single family homes in the area have stairs which could become an issue for PGhmommy's mommy as she ages.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Generally speaking is seems as if a lot of city neighborhoods are getting better. However, it really only takes one rental to ruin a block. I was speaking with a friend the other day and his main complaint about living in Morningside was a rental on the corner.

I think the Original poster has to really consider where her mother is coming from when making a decision. Brookline could be considered great if you are moving from an area like Homestead, for example, or it could be a dump if are moving from an area like Sewickley.
A good regional comparison would be that she's moving here from a town like Ligonier, which is why I'm making an attempt to find her a neighborhood that wont result in immediate culture shock.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post
Pghmommy

She specifically wanted a house, but I'll have to show her some condos. I, too, have found some condos in Mt. Lebanon that looked nice, but the price is deceiving as many have HOA fees. She prefers a ranch-style house with no stairs, but this is very difficult to find, especially near Mt. Lebanon. A condo may end up being exactly what she needs.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:52 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,673,953 times
Baldwin Borough, Baldwin Township and Castle Shannon tend to have more ranches. Scott Township has some as well. I did a test search on Howard Hanna's website. I don't know if you'd used theirs for searching, but it allows you in the advanced search mode to both choose multiple areas to search and to choose the architecture style so you can search for ranches. It looks like if she can bump her budget up a bit to the $120s that there might be some more possibilities. I liked this one --

http://www.howardhanna.com/property/property.asp?PRM_MLSNumber=958508&PRM_MlsName=West penn

All of those areas are working to middle class suburbs that are safe. Some ranches around here, though, do have some stairs given the hills, so it may take some looking or compromising on a couple of stairs, anyway.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:37 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
If you can go up to $149,000, you can check out the house in Beechview that Mrs. Eschaton won't let Mr. Eschaton buy. My friends looked at it last week and said the rooms were too small for them, so maybe it's just right for one person.

1608 Orangewood Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15216 - Zillow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh