Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 09:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Lol that not why he's a sell out... I where did I say that?
I was commenting on wpipkins comments about these men's wives. Their wives should be completely irrelevant.

Quote:
Even the Pittsburgh's black upper middle class who live scattered in the majority white Western/North/Wastern suburbs, and send their children to predominately white independent-public schools give back and identify themselves as black. They form all black social clubs, lead youth groups/organize community events etc. For example, the elite black doctors from Highmark to UMPC to local hospitals have black doctors clubs... And black lawyers and bankers support eachother along with the community with organized exposer events as well.
Search 50 men or women of excellence or Jack and Jill of America ball. Look at the names of local importance on Wylie Avenue and/or the August Wilson Center... Those are non sell outs.

A black sell out/uncle tom is a successful man or woman involved in corporate America who either forgot about or betrayed their heritage/background or never grew up acknowledging it... Furthermore, they betray their black counter parts especially by neglecting the majority of the population (ie. poor-working class living in big city to backwoods ghettos). In addition they don't identify themselves as black when they can get away with it, and will do anything to stay in good standing with "the man" including or neglecting suppress fellow blacks.
OMG! We're not going to get anywhere as a society until this type of pressure and judgment stops. I swear there seems to be more pressure on black people within the black community than by society as a whole. Just let people be who they want to be without labeling them as sell outs. At my age, I doubt I'll ever see the day my black friends can take me to church with them in the Hill District without fear of being harassed by their friends and family afterwards.

Quote:
@ wpipkings: A sell out/Uncle Tom is not a so called "Oreo," (a upper to middle class individual who lives a life more similar to your average white American than black)!
@ Hopes: A sell out/Uncle Tom is not some one with "Jungle Fever" lol. There would be thousands of sell outs in Texas and Mississippi if that atrocity were true!
Understood.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:56 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,376,922 times
Quote:
At my age, I doubt I'll ever see the day my black friends can take me to church with them in the Hill District without fear of being harassed by their friends and family afterwards.
That wouldn't change the perceptions of your friends amongst their community, nor would deem them a sell out. That would make them diverse not a different. An enter looper is not looked down upon; especially when it comes to Christians saving souls.
Personally I deemed Thomas a sell out/Uncle Tom once he said the whole Reagan VS community leaders thing.
Now Im OK with factual statements like blacks males made up 50% of the homicides in the nation in 2011, but only 5.5% of the nation's college population; thus the black community has to change its role in society if we want to see major progression. Some of the things that he has publicly said are next to mostly untruthful/misunderstood/over exaggerated modernized racist propaganda.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:15 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,253,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
Clarence Thomas, OTOH, acknowledged the discrimination that occurred against him and apparently at one point was an activist who help found the Black Student Union at Holy Cross. However, later in his career due to his political ambitions riding the coattails of notable conservatives (being repeatedly appointed by his political connections) he chose to use his role as Reagan and Bush I's Chair of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) to NOT challenge lack of equal employment opportunities for blacks. I can't use his exact language here on City-Data but let's just say Clarence Thomas accused all blacks of a not so nice term for "whining".

That's really not accurate, Mr. Thomas didn't "accuse" "all blacks" of anything of the sort.

Instead, he implored the civil rights establishment (not all blacks) to cooperate with the Reagan Administration's efforts in the area of civil rights, not merely fight their proposals.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:23 AM

747 posts, read 1,231,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I was commenting on wpipkins comments about these men's wives. Their wives should be completely irrelevant.

OMG! We're not going to get anywhere as a society until this type of pressure and judgment stops. I swear there seems to be more pressure on black people within the black community than by society as a whole. Just let people be who they want to be without labeling them as sell outs. At my age, I doubt I'll ever see the day my black friends can take me to church with them in the Hill District without fear of being harassed by their friends and family afterwards.

Understood.
Hopes,

I dont know who these so called black friends of yours are... You can attend any church in the hill district or pittsburgh without fear of harassment. Black God fearing christians open their arms to all and all black churches in Pittsburgh have white attendees. How would these so called friends family and friends harrass you after church? What would they say or do? You made that entire scenario up. I attend a large black non denominational church. We have many many white members. We also hold seminars (national day of prayer) with other churches and many of them are white and suburban. Enlighten yourself by attending any black church and I will assure that you will be pleasantly surprised...... Then tell your so called black friends who probably dont attend church anyway. If they did attend church regularly, they would know what I am telling you.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:39 AM

275 posts, read 628,185 times
Women and Minorities are Encouraged to Apply.

We are an equal opportunity employer.

Why is it when I see those I can not help but think they are an absolute contridiction. You are not being equal if are specifically asking certain people to apply, meaning you are intending to give them preference. That is discrimination.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
I dont know who these so called black friends of yours are... You can attend any church in the hill district or pittsburgh without fear of harassment. Black God fearing christians open their arms to all and all black churches in Pittsburgh have white attendees. How would these so called friends family and friends harrass you after church? What would they say or do? You made that entire scenario up. I attend a large black non denominational church. We have many many white members. We also hold seminars (national day of prayer) with other churches and many of them are white and suburban. Enlighten yourself by attending any black church and I will assure that you will be pleasantly surprised...... Then tell your so called black friends who probably dont attend church anyway. If they did attend church regularly, they would know what I am telling you.
I never said I would be harassed. I said they will be harassed. They don't want the crap THEY will get from their friends and family afterwards. And don't insult me by calling them so-called-black-friends AS IF they are imaginary friends because YOU CAN'T BELIEVE that it's even possible I have.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:53 AM

893 posts, read 1,324,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitts10yrs View Post
Women and Minorities are Encouraged to Apply.

We are an equal opportunity employer.

Why is it when I see those I can not help but think they are an absolute contridiction. You are not being equal if are specifically asking certain people to apply, meaning you are intending to give them preference. That is discrimination.
Because for 150 years women & minorities were not encouraged to apply, they were automatically rejected. So now everyone's suppose to play by the rules?

Old 05-10-2013, 07:56 AM

893 posts, read 1,324,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I never said I would be harassed. I said they will be harassed. They don't want the crap THEY will get from their friends and family afterwards. And don't insult me by calling them so-called-black-friends AS IF they are imaginary friends because YOU CAN'T BELIEVE that it's even possible I have. It blows my mind you don't realize you're part of the problem in society.
Maybe the problem is with the church your attending, nothing to do with the black community.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:56 AM

747 posts, read 1,231,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Not to me, it isn't.

But I'm personally neither black nor self-loathing, so I wouldn't be able to personally identify with that.

What makes it so obvious? Is it just Thomas' conservative views? His dislike for the civil rights establishment that has given him so little respect over the past quarter century?

Are there conservative African Americans who you wouldn't identify as "self loathing"? Is Cain self loathing? How about Walter E Williams, Dr. Sowell or Ambassador Keyes?
I love Herman Cain and he is authentically black. Actually I really like most conservative blacks with the exception of Allen West and Clarence Thomas. They are both one in the same and most black people would agree.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit2atl View Post
Maybe the problem is with the church your attending, nothing to do with the black community.
Huh? I've never attended the church. Where did you get that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh