Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 10:40 PM

894 posts, read 1,325,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
I really think the youth vote turned this one out for Peduto. Most of my friends who wouldnt normally give a rats ass about the primaries were rabid to vote for him today.
co-sign
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 04:20 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Just wanted to pop in and say congrats to the winner!

Old 05-22-2013, 05:08 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Just wanted to pop in and say congrats to the winner!
Rich Fitzgerald

Old 05-22-2013, 05:40 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I had business yesterday in Greentree around 7AM. I forgot how bad traffic is in the South Hills. Thought I was smart and took Liberty Avenue to get home. Traffic was backed up due to Jack Wagner standing at the entrance to the Tubes with a big Vote for Me sign. People were slowing down as they went by him. Too bad I was in the wrong lane, might have swerved to take him out.

Where's ScottPriester when you need him?
i think this may be what cost him the election!

Old 05-22-2013, 05:48 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
also the tax-evading guy lost in wilkinsburg, so that's nice!

Old 05-22-2013, 06:43 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,674,806 times
When I got home last night there were two voice messages, one left in the late morning and one around 5:00 from someone saying that they were at my polling place and that they saw I had not voted yet, and wanted to remind me that it was election day, and the polls were open until 8:00. Did anyone else get a call like that? Is this a new kind of GOTV? I've received general reminders about it being election day from campaign staffs or robocalls before, but I've never been personally stalked like that. I stopped on my way home from work, so by the time I got the messages I had voted, but the more I thought about it, it feels kind of creepy. Or am I just being overly sensitive?

Old 05-22-2013, 06:48 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
When I got home last night there were two voice messages, one left in the late morning and one around 5:00 from someone saying that they were at my polling place and that they saw I had not voted yet, and wanted to remind me that it was election day, and the polls were open until 8:00. Did anyone else get a call like that? Is this a new kind of GOTV? I've received general reminders about it being election day from campaign staffs or robocalls before, but I've never been personally stalked like that. I stopped on my way home from work, so by the time I got the messages I had voted, but the more I thought about it, it feels kind of creepy. Or am I just being overly sensitive?

That is creepy. It's never happened to me. I didn't know they could go in and look at the voter rolls like that during an election. Maybe they can't actually look but they figured with turnout so low, they could just call people and assume they hadn't voted.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:28 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
One person handing out literature literally blocked me from entering the building while trying to hand me a pamphlet in support of their candidate. I refused to take it and threatened to call the police. There needs to be a law that blocks those vultures from hanging around polling station entrances.
There is in some states. Some places you can't even wear a button or a t-shirt with a candidate's name on it and it is explicitly written into the law. Most places there are laws that say you have to be a minimum distance from the entrance to the polling place. The difference is, here that distance is 10 feet and other places it's 100 (or "at all on the property" if it's a public place in one state, or "100 feet or within 10 feet of any voter if the line goes past 100 ft" in another). This shocked me when I first saw it in Pittsburgh, I'd always taken it for granted that it wasn't done but I guess the laws against electioneering here are pretty lax.

Last edited by sealie; 05-22-2013 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: clarifying info

Old 05-22-2013, 07:44 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
That's a pretty standard GOTV procedure. The voting lists are public knowledge so the poll workers have to show them to the campaign workers if they ask. Obviously how you vote is private but how you are registered and when you voted is not.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:51 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
The voting lists are public knowledge so the poll workers have to show them to the campaign workers if they ask.
That list is a huge, thick binder. How are they getting names from it fast enough to process and get to a call center? Are they allowed to photograph it or do they walk in with their own list and check-off those who already voted? Even if they do it quickly, I don't see how you do this without interfering with people who came there to vote. If anybody understands the mechanics of it, I'd appreciate information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh