Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2013, 04:51 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,234,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post

By the way, nearly half the tornadoes that strike Tennessee occur at night. In fact, Tennessee has a higher rate of nocturnal tornadoes than any other state.

Sleep tight in Nashville.
that's doesn't meet my definition of harmless weather, BTW

Old 06-07-2013, 05:23 PM

71 posts, read 177,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
that's doesn't meet my definition of harmless weather, BTW
Well PA weather is hardly 'harmless'. It's a leading state in road fatalities caused by icy conditions (from the limited stats I've seen, it's more dangerous to be outside in PA during winter than TN during tornado season, but anyway). Be careful on your bike this winter

Old 06-07-2013, 05:37 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,607,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
Listen just because you go out and ride your bike in the freezing cold doesn't mean everyone else does. You can tout a lot of great things about pittsburgh. The one thing you can't is the weather. Your saying about waiting 15 minutes couldn't be further from the truth either. The area routinely gets locked in to weather patterns that last longer than a few days.

As for the last 4 months. Its been crappy in Pittsburgh. This spring has been one of the coldest on record. It was bad here in Charlotte. All my family back home was complaining about it. You can really only count on 4 good months in pittsburgh. From about mid May to mid Sept. After that all bets are off. Can you have nice periods sure. I remember mild winter months up there, but I also remember -22 in 1994 and over 2 feet of snow. Good luck riding your bike in that
Just so we have the facts, here's some Pittsburgh weather data through the first five months of 2013...

January 2013

Clear days: 1
Partly cloudy days: 13
Cloudy days: 17

Total clear and partly cloudy days: 14 out of 31 (45.2%)

Days with temperatures 60°+: 4
Days with temperatures 70°+: 0
Days with temperatures 80°+: 0

Maximum temperature: 68°

February 2013

Clear days: 0
Partly cloudy days: 10
Cloudy days: 18

Total clear and partly cloudy days: 10 out of 28 (35.7%)

Days with temperatures 60°+: 1
Days with temperatures 70°+: 0

Maximum temperature: 60°

March 2013

Clear days: 2
Partly cloudy days: 10
Cloudy days: 19

Total clear and partly cloudy days: 12 out of 31 (38.7%)

Days with temperatures 60°+: 2
Days with temperatures 70°+: 1

Maximum temperature: 71°

April 2013

Clear days: 0
Partly cloudy days: 21
Cloudy days: 9

Total clear and partly cloudy days: 21 out of 30 (70.0%)

Days with temperatures 60°+: 20
Days with temperatures 70°+: 11
Days with temperatures 80°+: 3

Maximum temperature: 85°

May 2013

Clear days: 1
Partly cloudy days: 26
Cloudy days: 4

Total clear and partly cloudy days: 27 out of 31 (87.1%)

Days with temperatures 60°+: 28
Days with temperatures 70°+: 23
Days with temperatures 80°+: 10

Maximum temperature: 87°

January-May 2013

Clear: 4
Partly cloudy: 80
Cloudy: 67

Total clear and partly cloudy days: 84 out of 151 (55.6%)

Days with temperatures 60°+: 55
Days with temperatures 70°+: 35
Days with temperatures 80°+: 13

Maximum temperature: 87°

Old 06-07-2013, 05:38 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,259,082 times
^^Methinks you doth protest too much!

You're also pretty disingenuous, including May, and even April, with the winter temps, also with combining "clear and partly cloudy". Spring Solstice was March 20. One could spin the cloudy day thing another way and say "partly cloudy + cloudy days = 147, or 97%". OR, one could simply say: Clear-3% (actually 2.6%); Partly Cloudy-53%; Cloudy-44%.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 06-07-2013 at 05:52 PM..

Old 06-07-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
I won't be here forever, I assure you. Sydney is my home town, and is a truly wonderful city in almost all aspects - apart from the skiing accessibility I'd visited Pittsburgh several times for work over the last 15 years before moving here, so didn't move here just because of the hype. If it was a dullsville crap hole, I'd never have taken the job.

How long I'll be here, who knows? I sure don't. But I'll enjoy it immensely it while I am here, which I am finding extremely easy to do .... in fact it sounds like I've been out and about seeing the sights in 4 months a lot more than you have since you arrived - no offense

Off to the 3 Rivers Festival ... there's some fine bands on this week. And all free ....
Ok I think we've exchanged enough smiley faces, it's getting uncomfortable.

On a serious note, I am glad you have been enjoying Pittsburgh since you've been here. All I was trying to say is you've only been here for 4 months - youre still in the honeymoon period so to speak. I'd be more interested in what you think of Pittsburgh a year from now.

In 4 years here I've seen enough of the sights to come to my conclusions.

Have fun at the festival, don't forget your sunscreen.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

You're also pretty disingenuous, including May, and even April, with the winter temps, also with combining "clear and partly cloudy". Spring Solstice was March 20. One could spin the cloudy day thing another way and say "partly cloudy + cloudy days = 147, or 97%".
Methinks your reading comprehension skills suck a big one, and that's putting it politely.

Somebody just said that the weather in Pittsburgh has been "crappy" for the last four months. Reread the ****ing post I quoted. If anything, I should have left January out and focused just on the last four months.

I used deductive reasoning when I grouped the partly cloudy days with the clear days. I asked myself, "Does the sun shine on partly cloudy days, yes or no?" Since the answer is "yes," and since everybody ******* about how the sun doesn't shine in Pittsburgh, I grouped the partly cloudy days with the clear days to create a set of all days with sunshine. Here's what a partly cloudy day looks like:

(Thanks, Copanut.)

Holy mother****; what's that stuff radiating from the left side of the picture?! And why is everybody out on the river enjoying it?! They should all be crying in their basements and slitting their wrists instead, because there are a couple of clouds in the sky!

Just because the sky isn't perfectly blue da-ba-dee like it is in the interior West doesn't mean that the sun can't shine. Go be obtuse somewhere else.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Not me...but before I lived out there for four years I probably would have.
I'm curious, where on the west coast did you live?

And why did you decide to move back east (i'm assuming to Pittsburgh?)/why do you prefer it here?

Old 06-07-2013, 07:05 PM

419 posts, read 548,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

You're also pretty disingenuous, including May, and even April, with the winter temps, also with combining "clear and partly cloudy". Spring Solstice was March 20. One could spin the cloudy day thing another way and say "partly cloudy + cloudy days = 147, or 97%". OR, one could simply say: Clear-3% (actually 2.6%); Partly Cloudy-53%; Cloudy-44%.
I agree with you on that one. Gnutella obviously wasn't here the past 4 months to notice the medicore amounts of sunshine in April & May and the virtually sunless months of Jan, Feb, and Mar. Partly cloudy is too broad and can have majority clouds and still be considered "partly cloudy." I'm sorry, we rarely have had days here that were clear or mostly sunny in the past 4 months. Lots of partly cloudy days that unfortunately leaned more on the cloudy side than sunny. Hours of sun would be more accurate.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Just because the sky isn't perfectly blue da-ba-dee like it is in the interior West doesn't mean that the sun can't shine. Go be obtuse somewhere else.
No need for the rudeness. Lets play nice. We're all adults here.. Although this is the Internet so you never know..

Honestly Gnutella, you can defend the weather all you want, but most reports out there list Pittsburgh near the bottom of cities receiving sunshine. While we can argue what constitutes a cloudy day, I think most would agree that ~6 months out of the year (about the end of oct-apr) are largely miserable, and the other 6 months are hit or miss, whether because of rain or just overcast like today.

If memory serves me correct I believe they were calling for snow at the start of baseball season this year.

I agree that it can still be a nice day while being 'partly cloudy.' However, there's no denying Pittsburgh residents see less of our sun than most of the country.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:50 PM

Accordingb to the National Weather Service, "partly cloudy" is defined as greater than 30% and less than 70% cloud cover. It does not involve a qualitative analysis of the clouds either. Roughly 60% of the sky in this photo is covered with clouds:

Beautiful day nonetheless.

By the way, I'm not "defending" anything. I'm simply stating fact. The fact is, partly cloudy days all have sunshine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh