Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2014, 04:03 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post

but ive said it before - our realities are different. every opinion is a valid one.
no it isn't ....

Old 01-27-2014, 05:10 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanGothiK View Post
Thank you! I moved here from Wheeling WV 3 years ago and I hate it. I came here for a job, and as big as this city is, job opportunity is not that abundant. I am lucky to have the one I came for. Yes, I like where I live (Brookline) and I have found places I like to go and things I like to do, but overall, I think it's like a bigger Wheeling with more rude people. It's one thing to have pride in your city, but it's another thing to be arrogant. Here, I sense a lot of arrogance. Everything in Pittsburgh is better than anything else, anywhere else. The sense of entitlement these people have is overwhelming as well. And I am not hard to get along with. 9/10 when I tell someone I am from WV I get a snide comment about cousins, goats, incest, barefoot and pregnant, or missing teeth (which by the way I have all of mine, and a college degree). I am looking to move on, myself. And can't wait! It's not all bad, I have met good people here, but on the whole, no thanks!
I hate to tell you, but a lot of people all over the country make comments like this about WV. It probably won't be as common in other cities since none are as close to it as Pittsburgh, but there are people who have those stereotypes about the state all over the place. Like others have said, I have found the Northern Panhandle of WV to be much more like Ohio or PA than the rest of West Virginia with look, feel, and how people sound.

Last edited by bradjl2009; 01-27-2014 at 05:18 PM..

Old 01-27-2014, 07:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
If you look at their posting history it appears that they are a legit poster.

This forum really needs to get rid of the mindset of "if you do not adhere to the groupthink you are a troll". There are posters that are blatantly trolling yes, but just because there is a difference of opinion does not mean "troll alert".
Agreed. Now I'm pretty good at picking out the real trolls on here. I'm not going to give away my methodology, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
Jackie Mason was never a rabbi in Weirton. That's the difference!
You lost me there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavicamerican View Post
The "WV discussion" always puts me in an awkward position. Having been raised in Weirton, I'm definitely a WVian by at least one definition. Therefore, I feel compelled to defend the state. On the other hand, I don't feel much of a connection to the state and its larger culture and history (think moonshine, southern twang, Baptists and clog dancing) and I don't know the state anywhere near as well as I do PA. The fact is... I am from the "Pittsburgh area," which includes Weirton, Steubenville and Latrobe.

My primary issue with the incest and goat jokes (which I get from time to time) is that I can't get myself to adopt a WV identity enough to care enough to push back. I'm simply not sure what to do when a hillbilly joke is directed at my Slavic, pirogi-eating, polka-dancing, Pittsburgh-living self.

It's a conundrum.
I had a college roommate from south of Uniontown. She used to talk about incest jokes. It's not just in W VA.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:19 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
I think this is a reaction to the unrelenting negativity exhibited by particular users. It's one thing to pop in and complain, it's another thing to post repeatedly over a serious of months with an obvious agenda. This has had the unfortunate effect of causing even more negativity to be shown towards other posters. I wish there was a more widespread use of the ignore list; it becomes tiresome not only to read the "Pittsburgh is awful" diatribes, but the responses to them.

It's one thing to dislike Pittsburgh and think it's not such a great place - that's fine. It's another thing to spend endless hours trying to "prove" it to everyone.
This is correct. Most of the times these posts come out of nowhere. There is only one way to describe someone who posts for the sole purpose of getting under people's skin. LOSER!

Last edited by Gee Whiz; 01-27-2014 at 08:43 PM..

Old 01-27-2014, 08:34 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
incest? northeastern PA, folks, somewhere near Shickshinny, i believe Columbia County. scary looking people.

"theres just not a lot around those parts" a woman employed at my interning place stated.

yea, but thats when you pack up and move, not make moves on cousin stella.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 1,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumbingMyWay View Post
Quick background about myself: I am a 27 yr old male from Eastern PA who moved to Pittsburgh after graduating from college to start a career. I heard a lot of good things about Pittsburgh before I moved here (and did visit a few times) and thought it would an exciting place to live as a young professional.

So I have been living in Pittsburgh for 4 years and have realized it is time for me to move on from this place. Pittsburgh to me has just been honestly very underwhelming. Since I have lived here there have been numerous articles praising Pittsburgh as a great place to live and most posts on this site make it sound like the only people who don't like Pittsburgh are the ones who have never been here. I'm here to say lets take it easy on all the praise this city has been getting.

I don't mean this to come off as a rant. I guess I am here to tell potential residents a few things about Pittsburgh to watch out for; and to make it known to the current residents that not everybody loves it here. Here's my issues with this place:

- Weather: Pittsburgh weather is pretty bad. When I first moved here I joked with a friend about the constant rain and gray skies we were having that I felt like I moved to Seattle, and soon after discovered Pitt and Seattle get about the same amount of sunny days per year. From Dec to April can get downright depressing when you go days/even weeks without seeing some sunshine. Don't get me wrong, the changing seasons can be nice, but there aren't enough nice summer days to make up for what comes in November.

- Underwhelming Outdoor Activities: besides the weather, this is probably one thing I wish I could tell everybody moving here, the outdoor activities around Pittsburgh are average at best. I'm tired of hearing people say "we have skiing, hiking, biking, water sports" but nobody ever mentions how mediocre it all is. The skiing here (yes Seven Springs) is disappointing. As for hiking you have to drive at least 1.5 hours to find something worthwhile (like Ohio Pyle), and even that isn't anything to get excited about. Yes there are about 8-10 parks to walk in, but I find it hard to believe you couldn't find parks in every other city in the USA.

- Far from the beach: if you enjoy the beach, Pittsburgh probably isn't for you. You're looking at a 7+ hour drive to Virginia beach or the outer banks (around 6 hours if you want to settle for the jersey shore). "Well Lake Erie is only 2 hours away" they say. I've never met one person here that was excited to go to Lake Erie.

Some other minor gripes:
- the downtown highways/roads were poorly planned and can be frustrating
- the local music scene is lacking
- if you aren't a Steelers or Penguins fan it can get annoying when it's all you hear about.
- as for the Arts, I could be wrong but I feel like it is nothing you couldn't find in any other major city.

Don't get me wrong Pittsburgh deserves credit for growing into much more than just a steel city. The cost of living is relatively low and the job market seems above average. It's definitely not all bad and I know the people that grew up here love it. However, right or wrong, I just feel there are better and more exciting places out there (for me and I'm sure for others).

If anyone moving here has any questions on why I feel like I do about Pittsburgh please let me know. Maybe Pittsburgh just isn't right for me. Maybe I am just a grass is greener guy and am giving other cities too much credit in what they could offer. If you are a person who only cares about work this may be a place for you. If you want something exciting to during your free time, I would advise looking at a different city to live in.
Dont let the door hit you in the behind on your way out! Move instead of come on an internet forum and talk about it already.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:13 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,348,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I hate to tell you, but a lot of people all over the country make comments like this about WV. It probably won't be as common in other cities since none are as close to it as Pittsburgh, but there are people who have those stereotypes about the state all over the place. Like others have said, I have found the Northern Panhandle of WV to be much more like Ohio or PA than the rest of West Virginia with look, feel, and how people sound.
It is a way of life in mid-western cities such as Cleveland (many in Cleveland usually make WV type jokes about Pittsburgh in all honesty)and Detroit to make fun of WV (and the south in general.) There is a radio station in Detroit that has DJ's that mocks anyone that has a southern accent who calls in. I personally don't think that it is right to stereotype people by non-choices (i.e., Race, where they are from, income) but it is hardly unique to Pittsburgh

Old 01-28-2014, 01:44 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavicamerican View Post
The "WV discussion" always puts me in an awkward position. Having been raised in Weirton, I'm definitely a WVian by at least one definition. Therefore, I feel compelled to defend the state. On the other hand, I don't feel much of a connection to the state and its larger culture and history (think moonshine, southern twang, Baptists and clog dancing) and I don't know the state anywhere near as well as I do PA. The fact is... I am from the "Pittsburgh area," which includes Weirton, Steubenville and Latrobe.

My primary issue with the incest and goat jokes (which I get from time to time) is that I can't get myself to adopt a WV identity enough to care enough to push back. I'm simply not sure what to do when a hillbilly joke is directed at my Slavic, pirogi-eating, polka-dancing, Pittsburgh-living self.

It's a conundrum.
Yeah -- my parents were from the mountains of PA -- and they got those jokes, too. People love to make assumptions about hillbillies.

I've researched my lines, no marrying under 18, no cousins marrying...nothing horrible except poverty and TB. Man.... TB.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:55 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,925,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
When I lived in Maryland, guess who everybody made jokes about......

Old 01-28-2014, 02:32 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,674,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
It is a way of life in mid-western cities such as Cleveland (many in Cleveland usually make WV type jokes about Pittsburgh in all honesty)and Detroit to make fun of WV (and the south in general.) There is a radio station in Detroit that has DJ's that mocks anyone that has a southern accent who calls in. I personally don't think that it is right to stereotype people by non-choices (i.e., Race, where they are from, income) but it is hardly unique to Pittsburgh

Zlati Meyer, Detroit Journalist, Enrages Twitter With West Virginia Incest Joke

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/200...ype=blogs&_r=0

Abercrombie & Fitch shirt angers West Virginians - msnbc - Deborah Norville Tonight | NBC News

Unfortuately, West Virginia, lovely state that it is, is the butt of jokes nationally. Just like Appalachia in general. And, often, New Jersey. Areas do get unfairly maligned. Just ask Poland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh