Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 06:33 PM

71 posts, read 176,841 times

Advertisements

Quick background about myself: I am a 27 yr old male from Eastern PA who moved to Pittsburgh after graduating from college to start a career. I heard a lot of good things about Pittsburgh before I moved here (and did visit a few times) and thought it would an exciting place to live as a young professional.

So I have been living in Pittsburgh for 4 years and have realized it is time for me to move on from this place. Pittsburgh to me has just been honestly very underwhelming. Since I have lived here there have been numerous articles praising Pittsburgh as a great place to live and most posts on this site make it sound like the only people who don't like Pittsburgh are the ones who have never been here. I'm here to say lets take it easy on all the praise this city has been getting.

I don't mean this to come off as a rant. I guess I am here to tell potential residents a few things about Pittsburgh to watch out for; and to make it known to the current residents that not everybody loves it here. Here's my issues with this place:

- Weather: Pittsburgh weather is pretty bad. When I first moved here I joked with a friend about the constant rain and gray skies we were having that I felt like I moved to Seattle, and soon after discovered Pitt and Seattle get about the same amount of sunny days per year. From Dec to April can get downright depressing when you go days/even weeks without seeing some sunshine. Don't get me wrong, the changing seasons can be nice, but there aren't enough nice summer days to make up for what comes in November.

- Underwhelming Outdoor Activities: besides the weather, this is probably one thing I wish I could tell everybody moving here, the outdoor activities around Pittsburgh are average at best. I'm tired of hearing people say "we have skiing, hiking, biking, water sports" but nobody ever mentions how mediocre it all is. The skiing here (yes Seven Springs) is disappointing. As for hiking you have to drive at least 1.5 hours to find something worthwhile (like Ohio Pyle), and even that isn't anything to get excited about. Yes there are about 8-10 parks to walk in, but I find it hard to believe you couldn't find parks in every other city in the USA.

- Far from the beach: if you enjoy the beach, Pittsburgh probably isn't for you. You're looking at a 7+ hour drive to Virginia beach or the outer banks (around 6 hours if you want to settle for the jersey shore). "Well Lake Erie is only 2 hours away" they say. I've never met one person here that was excited to go to Lake Erie.

Some other minor gripes:
- the downtown highways/roads were poorly planned and can be frustrating
- the local music scene is lacking
- if you aren't a Steelers or Penguins fan it can get annoying when it's all you hear about.
- as for the Arts, I could be wrong but I feel like it is nothing you couldn't find in any other major city.

Don't get me wrong Pittsburgh deserves credit for growing into much more than just a steel city. The cost of living is relatively low and the job market seems above average. It's definitely not all bad and I know the people that grew up here love it. However, right or wrong, I just feel there are better and more exciting places out there (for me and I'm sure for others).

If anyone moving here has any questions on why I feel like I do about Pittsburgh please let me know. Maybe Pittsburgh just isn't right for me. Maybe I am just a grass is greener guy and am giving other cities too much credit in what they could offer. If you are a person who only cares about work this may be a place for you. If you want something exciting to during your free time, I would advise looking at a different city to live in.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:42 PM

4,692 posts, read 8,984,318 times
I have also lived here about four years, and am about the same age as you are. I also moved here after college to start a career. Personally, I don't share your negative impressions of this city. On the other hand, I think eastern PA is ridiculously awesome and probably would have never left that area to begin with. I'm from an economic hellhole known as Michigan, so my decision to move to the Burg makes a bit more sense. My urban options were Detroit or Flint.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:24 PM

55 posts, read 93,251 times
TMW: im actually about twice your age, but also a non native whose lived in the area a few years now; ive found it to be a wonderful growth experience, but also pretty sure its just a stepping stone stop in life for me as im still a country girl & miss those things as well; but those things can be found if you look for them.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:39 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,176,185 times
I've lived elsewhere as well, including eastern PA. There are only a handful of other cities in the country I'd consider moving away from Pittsburgh for and they are all vastly more expensive (and mainly on the other coast). Pittsburgh has a LOT to offer for a city it's size. Sure, there are drawbacks, but you'd be able to put together such a list for any city.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:43 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,575,742 times
If I were in my mid twenties and felt like you do, wasn't planning on settling down soon and had no strong ties here, I would sure be putting out some feelers for jobs. When you're older you regret more the chances you didn't take than the ones that turned out to be bad decisions. Figure out what you can afford while still saving money and figure if it's the weather, the nightlife or the recreation that matters the most to you. I like it here but I was more easily bored in my twenties than I am now.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:56 PM

Thanks for your replies. I will admit that one problem I have is I didnt really travel much until I moved to Pittsburgh (and started earning money). Now that I have visited different parts of the country, I just feel like there has to be something better else out there for me. As an example, right now I believe Raleigh/Durham, Denver, Nashville, and Southern Cal would make me a lot happier; however I have only visited Nashville of the 4 (which I love it there). Maybe I am giving Denver and NC too much credit.

AlleghenyAngel: eastern Pa is a cool place, although jobs are hard to come by where I grew up (in the "coal region". I'm curious what you love about Pittsburgh? And if you really don't have many complaints living here.

NHdweller: I feel similar to you, viewing this more as a steeping stone. Since you're a country girl have you ever been to Nashville?

Trlstreet: I suppose I agree Pittsburgh does have a lot to offer, although as I stated I don't feel there is anything great here. I just feel like most of it could be found elsewhere, although I could be wrong. What do you think some are the best things about Pittsburgh are?

Old 05-29-2013, 08:56 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,722,835 times
Yeah, things were much better when everyone was whining about what a bomb crater Pittsburgh was. Those were the good ol' days I tell ya.

As for your personal experience... yep, time to move on. So what next?

Old 05-29-2013, 09:22 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,621,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumbingMyWay View Post
Thanks for your replies. I will admit that one problem I have is I didnt really travel much until I moved to Pittsburgh (and started earning money). Now that I have visited different parts of the country, I just feel like there has to be something better else out there for me. As an example, right now I believe Raleigh/Durham, Denver, Nashville, and Southern Cal would make me a lot happier; however I have only visited Nashville of the 4 (which I love it there). Maybe I am giving Denver and NC too much credit.

AlleghenyAngel: eastern Pa is a cool place, although jobs are hard to come by where I grew up (in the "coal region". I'm curious what you love about Pittsburgh? And if you really don't have many complaints living here.

NHdweller: I feel similar to you, viewing this more as a steeping stone. Since you're a country girl have you ever been to Nashville?

Trlstreet: I suppose I agree Pittsburgh does have a lot to offer, although as I stated I don't feel there is anything great here. I just feel like most of it could be found elsewhere, although I could be wrong. What do you think some are the best things about Pittsburgh are?
I agree with much of what you say about Pittsburgh. It's just that many of the things that bother you aren't that big a deal for me. You're young. Get out there and explore. I agree with the poster who told you to determine what is important; weather, nightlife, recreation, etc. Research the places that interest you and go visit them.

When I decided to move from San Francisco to Pittsburgh I knew I would be giving up a lot of the amenities I was used to. I chose Pittsburgh because it had a lot of the things I enjoyed in SF, albeit on a much smaller scale. The biggest factor for me was that housing costs were 75% less than SF and I'm planning to retire in about 10 years. Drastically cutting my housing costs will go a long way toward making retirement a reality for me. I was willing to make compromises to do so.

I lived in a grey and foggy part of SF for much of my life so I honestly didn't notice the grey weather at all this winter, other than to think it reminded me of SF only colder. I know a lot of people who can't abide the grey weather. If I was like that I wouldn't have chosen Pittsburgh.

Outside my day job I'm a fiber artist. The Pittsburgh Fiber Arts Guild produces Fiberart International, a triennial juried exhibition. Pittsburgh may not be on the level of NYC in the art world, but in my area of endeavor, it happens to be one of the best places to be.

If I was your age and unhappy with life in Pittsburgh, I'd find a place that suited me better. It's a lot harder to move around once you're married, have kids, and are established in your field. Go for it.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:24 PM

Sealie: thanks for your advice. I think I will regret it if I don't take a chance to move.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:26 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,345,560 times
People always think "this place" stinks and it will be better somewhere else. Of course they get somewhere else and decide the same thing, but there you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh