Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2007, 05:55 AM

322 posts, read 300,074 times

Advertisements

Putting the 'New' back in New Kensington (its probably easier to just read from the link)

Like so many other former mill towns in Western Pennsylvania, New Kensington has struggled to reinvent itself since 1971, when Alcoa closed its original riverfront plant complex that once provided jobs, revenue and community identity.
Moderator cut: copyrighted article

Last edited by Yac; 12-14-2007 at 03:09 AM.. Reason: quote shortened, copyright protection. Follow thelink for the full article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 06:01 AM

This is great news for the town of New Ken. Revitalizing a town is hard to start, but once you start it, it takes a snowball effect. More tenants will move in, more buildings we will revamped, more people come, then there is more demand for newer things. Starting with New Ken is a good way to start the towns on the upper Allegheny river.

Pittsburgh itself has done a great job in cleaning up, and starting the ball rolling with revitalization, but many towns around it in the metro need to also start. Most abandoned industrial areas in Pittsburgh have been replaced with the Southside works, green office buildings, and other projects. However this hasn't started yet in the old mill towns in the metro. This is good news. Once towns in the metro start turning around you can say the whole Pittsburgh area has turned the corner from the past.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:21 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,069,661 times
I am extremely shocked and pleased!! New Kensington was once one the most premier cities in all of the greater metro area. My grandparents and most of my family is from either Tarentum or New Kensington. They could tell so many wonderful stories about both places, how great shopping was, and how clean and progressive New Kensington was, with theaters and boutiques, etc.

It's really nice to see that maybe New Ken could become viable once more.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:29 PM

I went down there today for the first time in a while. They actually have condemned signs on a lot of old buildings that are waiting to be demolished. There are for sale signs on many other buildings that they are seriously trying to sell. I walked by one, and it was a three story big building right on 5th ave downtown. It was in decent shape and being sold for 105,000. That's it, 105,000. If I had a small firm or company I was starting that would be easy. That is less then most houses. Two blocks from these buildings was were they are getting ready to build the community college. Once this school opens up, it will help fill up these buildings quickly.

I did a photo thread on skyscraperpage of how bad New Ken was. I was trying to show how blight, but also beautiful it was. There are great buildings there, and this would be a great town if companies and retail moved in besides for shady bars.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Two blocks from these buildings was were they are getting ready to build the community college. Once this school opens up, it will help fill up these buildings quickly.
So Penn State is adding another school to New Kensington on top of the Penn State campus already IN upper New Kensington??

Old 11-04-2007, 05:49 PM

no, it is Westmoreland county community college. It will bring probably 500-1000 of people (my estimation, probably way off) into downtown New Ken when it opens. It is right off of downtown New Ken.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
no, it is Westmoreland county community college. It will bring probably 500-1000 of people (my estimation, probably way off) into downtown New Ken when it opens. It is right off of downtown New Ken.
OOH, I should have read more carefully.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:57 AM

26 posts, read 92,436 times
great post, thanks!

Old 06-08-2009, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,739 times
If a commuter train was available to take NK/Arnold residents to Pittsburgh, the folks who work in Pittsburgh would discover how reasonably priced local real estate is. The result would be a gentrification of the city like those neighborhoods in large cities where people who are priced out of luxury homes buy cheap, fix up and contribute to the overall value of the area. Make NK and Arnold homes available to people who have a job, and give them a way to get to work without going through the torture of Route 28 or Route 22, and there will be a land rush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh