Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 10:20 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,874,486 times

Advertisements

After discovering the awesome mom & pop Italian restaurants in the outer regions, an Italian fast food place isn't that appealing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 10:50 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,109,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
After discovering the awesome mom & pop Italian restaurants in the outer regions, an Italian fast food place isn't that appealing.
To you perhaps, however, I expect long lines...and it's intended to be "fast food", not sit down "Italian cooking" meals.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:40 AM

32,613 posts, read 77,439,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
To you perhaps, however, I expect long lines...and it's intended to be "fast food", not sit down "Italian cooking" meals.
I agree. Even despite the norovirus and e-coli scares Chipotle routinely has long lines whenever I go to place an order for a client. People love this new "fast casual" concept because we're so rushed these days we barely even have time to eat anymore. I don't even have time to eat lunch at all.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:04 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,905,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post

I am always up for a little bit of a drive for good Italian food, and would definitely love to explore these outer regions. Any recommendations?

Old 03-15-2016, 10:58 AM

432 posts, read 357,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I am always up for a little bit of a drive for good Italian food, and would definitely love to explore these outer regions. Any recommendations?
This might get you started...
http://www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...-homemade.html

...although Blue made a similar reference on that thread too and didn't give specifics there either.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
No, sorry. I won't ever do that again. I learned my lesson the first time. These are old school type of restaurants and I was introduced to them through locals. I'll say this, the Pittsburgh region has some of the best Italian and Eastern European cuisine I have ever had in my life.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I agree. Even despite the norovirus and e-coli scares Chipotle routinely has long lines whenever I go to place an order for a client. People love this new "fast casual" concept because we're so rushed these days we barely even have time to eat anymore. I don't even have time to eat lunch at all.
That is too bad. I have really started to appreciate sit down dinners with friends again. The world needs to step back and learn how to enjoy the simple pleasures of life, like a good meal and good conversation.

Old 03-15-2016, 03:32 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,861,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I don't disagree with what you're saying but I really don't see what's new or different about 'fast casual' & fast food; I.e Chipotle vs say McDonald's.

Old 03-15-2016, 03:48 PM

32,613 posts, read 77,439,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I don't disagree with what you're saying but I really don't see what's new or different about 'fast casual' & fast food; I.e Chipotle vs say McDonald's.
Chipotle markets itself better to more discerning "ahead of the curve" consumers who want to proclaim that they eat "responsibly-raised/fair-trade/cage-free/organic/yada, yada, yada" proteins. The locations I frequent for work (Baum & Millvale, EastSide, Forbes & Atwood, and Market Square) all have notices posted when one of their proteins doesn't meet its ethical sourcing standards so that their clients can plan accordingly.

If you're eating chicken or carnitas you're killing a chicken or pig, respectively, anyways, so what difference does it make if you're eating an animal that was happy or sad when it died for you to shove it inside of your maw? Can you taste the fear in the meat?

As much as I love living in the East End for the convenience to things I hate the "fluff"-like pretense most of the time.

Old 03-15-2016, 03:55 PM

595 posts, read 597,717 times
I like Chipotle, but the "organic blah blah" stuff isn't the selling point to me. I like it because it tastes good, my order is consistently correct, the quality of the food is good, the locations are generally clean, and the cost is decent.

While I can get sometimes get the same experience at a traditional fast food restaurant, it's very infrequent. I more frequently than not either have a messed up order, cold/old food, a dirty store or lot, unfriendly staff, and sometimes end up spending more money for lower quality. Sure a Big Mac is only $4 compared to a $7 Burrito Bowl, but I'm getting 2-3 times as much food at Chipotle.

This goes the same for Five Guys, Qdoba, Firehouse Subs, or any other "fast casual" style place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh