Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 01:23 PM

63 posts, read 137,896 times

Advertisements

Hi, it has been months coming, but we are visiting the area this weekend. We had hoped to look at several houses while we were here, but so far we only have three: a nice house on 4 acres in Gibsonia; A raised ranch on .5 acre in Economy, and a house in Mars, this one is rural on an acre, which is what we want, but it is a modular, which my husband refuses to live in.

Now, I have heard that the pine/richland area parents have this sort of competitive thing, and it can be a bit snobbish, which is something I want to avoid like the plague. I put up with enough of that in VT. Soo tired of it.

I really like the Mars area and schools. But other then that one, I can't find any rentals there. Craigslist, trulia, Zillow, Butler Eagle, Pittsburg post... I've looked everywhere I can think of, and as far as I can tell, the only local paper is the Butler Eagle.

So anyone out there in the Mars area... are there any rentals? I need a house, 3-4 bedrooms, as rural as possible. we plan to drive around there and hope to see someplace with a sign out front, but if anyone can lend a hand, I'd really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 02:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,605,736 times
Try calling Lisa King, owner of Freedom Farms. She knows everyone up there. She might be difficult to reach. Her family has a reality TV show on the country channel. If you can't get through to her, talk to anyone who answers the phone and explain you're moving to the area from Vermont. Definitely stop by her farm stand when you are in the area.

My husband's friend and cousin live in the school district too. I'll have him ask when he sees them next weekend.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:40 PM

Here's the phone number for Lisa's business.

https://www.facebook.com/freedomfarmkings

Old 06-10-2013, 02:52 PM

41,018 posts, read 17,988,144 times
Or you could contact a real estate agent that actually has lists of houses that are available. I live in Cranberry and I understand there are many places available to rent. Won't be Mars school district, it would be Seneca Valley, but there is so much building going on in the Cranberry/Mars area that I'm sure it would be close to impossible to not find a place.

As far as "competitive thing", that's everywhere. You're surrounded by North Allegheny, Pine-Richland, Mars and Seneca Valley. Mars and Seneca Valley will be the lesser of the 4, IMO, but that's the areas nowadays. Economy will be the least competitive.

Last edited by erieguy; 06-10-2013 at 03:02 PM..

Old 06-10-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Or you could contact a real estate agent that actually has lists of houses that are available.
That's a no brainer. But the OP also needs local connections for the rentals that aren't listed with real estate agents. That's why she posted here. It's possible Lisa has a vacant house on her many acres of land. You never know unless you ask. Plus meeting someone who knows everyone is a great introduction into a neighborhood. Perhaps one of Lisa's friends or customers has a rental. Maybe she has a community bulletin board at her store for the OP to pin a flyer. If you need a connection in Mars school district area, Lisa is probably the most well known member of the community---long before the reality show too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
...but there is so much building going on in the Cranberry/Mars area that I'm sure it would be close to impossible to not find a place.
She's not in the market to rent new construction because her needs are unique within a specific budget.

Last edited by Hopes; 06-10-2013 at 03:07 PM..

Old 06-10-2013, 03:03 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,532,157 times
Well, she didn't mention having checked with one, so yeah, it's definitely a good idea. I'm not sure which agency(s) to call but Cranberry office of someone with large local presence, like Howard Hanna or Prudential, seems like a good starting point.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's a no brainer. But the OP also needs local connections for the rentals that aren't listed with real estate agents. That's why she posted here. It's possible Lisa has a vacant house on her many acres of land. You never know unless you ask. Plus meeting someone who knows everyone is a great introduction into a neighborhood. Perhaps one of Lisa's friends or customers has a rental. Maybe she has a community bulletin board at her store for the OP to pin a flyer. If you need a connection in Mars school district area, Lisa is probably the most well known member of the community---long before the reality show too.

She's not in the market to rent new construction because her needs are unique within a specific budget.
Many people live/travel/work out of country for periods of time and have actual Real Estate agents handle the rental as they aren't available to show/advertise the residence. That's why I posted that.

Didn't say anything about her renting new construction. There are people building houses all over the area and renting other places out.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Well, she didn't mention having checked with one, so yeah, it's definitely a good idea. I'm not sure which agency(s) to call but Cranberry office of someone with large local presence, like Howard Hanna or Prudential, seems like a good starting point.
Bingo!

Old 06-10-2013, 03:17 PM

12,527 posts, read 17,435,340 times
I'd be curious as to how many single family detached homes are available for rental in the Mars-Cranberry area. Can't think there are that many as the market there is burning up and interest rates are so low, Why rent?

Last edited by Copanut; 06-10-2013 at 03:26 PM..

Old 06-10-2013, 03:17 PM

63 posts, read 137,896 times
Thanks Hopes, I will certainly give her a call, and visit when we are there.

As to the real estate agent, I have three looking for me. I should have mentioned it, and I've tried calling property maintenance companies too. Still getting nowhere. I just can't believe there is nothing for rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh