Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 12:41 PM

479 posts, read 1,236,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There's some truth to that, but sometimes moving away gets you a better job, or some new relationships that are satisfying or whatever.
So true! Many of us can't find all we want out of life in the area where we were born and raised, so moving brings a happier and more satisfying life overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
You nailed it. I love Pittsburgh so far, but I would be complaining all the time if I lived in El Paso or Phoenix. I don't do well in desert heat. I agree that the OP on the "I'm Tired..." thread has specific things that he doesn't like about Pittsburgh and would be happier somewhere with more recreational options, especially good skiing. I think Colorado or CA would be great for him. There are people who are never satisfied no matter where they are. I'd say most people are more like me in that they have preferences and if the place they choose to live is a good match, they're happy.
I guess you figured it out! You eliminated Phoenix and El Paso right off the bat and then narrowed it down. I think CA would be a good choice for the OP as he would have plenty of recreational options, like skiing, the beach, and he wouldn't have to live in a cloudy place. I'm with you on not liking deserts, even though I think there are some beautiful areas in AZ. If I think the summers are overly hot here, just how much worse would they be there, and I'm not getting any younger.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I agree with all of that. I just took issue with you'll be "doing good" here on 60k. I know many families with children who struggle at that income. For whatever reason, people come to me all the time with their bills asking me to help them with budgets. There's very little wiggle room. If they mess up in the slightest, it's extremely difficult to correct. They're usually not prepared for any types of emergencies. I'm not saying it's a bad household income. It's not an easy income, but I agree that Pittsburgh's cost of living make it easier than other areas of the country.
They can live easier on that income in Pittsburgh than L.A., but I agree that it isn't a good income, especially with two or three children. For a single person, or a couple it would be OK.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:05 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgirl49 View Post
I guess you figured it out! You eliminated Phoenix and El Paso right off the bat and then narrowed it down...even though I think there are some beautiful areas in AZ. If I think the summers are overly hot here, just how much worse would they be there, and I'm not getting any younger.
The summers in those places don't even compare to the LA area. You know how it feels when you open a hot oven and get that blast of heat in your face? That's what summer is like in those desert places. I can't stand it, but some people don't seem to mind it. Those areas have lots of snowbirds, the people who live there in the winter and return to their hometowns elsewhere in the summer.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
The summers in those places don't even compare to the LA area. You know how it feels when you open a hot oven and get that blast of heat in your face? That's what summer is like in those desert places. I can't stand it, but some people don't seem to mind it. Those areas have lots of snowbirds, the people who live there in the winter and return to their hometowns elsewhere in the summer.
We sometimes have days out here in the valley that feel that hot, like around 110 or so, but not consistently. I know I couldn't live in these real desert places, like Palm Springs, on a year round basis. I would go for the colder winter as you can always put more clothes on.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:28 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
No, it depends on the person. The one in question has made similiar posts for years. In addition, that person, IIRC, doesn't actually live in Pittsburgh. She is located somewhere north, like around New Castle or Mercer or something. Reading this person's posts for years, I think would lead any reasonable person to conclude that she is generally unhappy in a way that geography is unlikely to change. Or, if she is so convinced that geography is the reason for her general unhappiness, in the years that she has been writing similiar screeds, she could have changed her situation. IF this person is half as smart as she thinks she is. But, given the similiar theme to multiple posts over the years, she does just seem come off as a complainer.

But, then again, maybe everything actually is the fault of the Catholics.
I don't buy anything they are selling, unless it's tickets for a Corvette or a Mustang. And you, I don't care whether or not you like what I have to say. I don't owe you anything, Smartpants. But I have been on-hold here helping get elderly parents through surgeries and get set up to care for themselves, because my siblings have moved away and then the ___ hit the fan while I was here, so I have stayed in Poverty Dump out of duty and obligation. I particularly strive to avoid having to spend time with homemakers and children, because in my world, it's raise one and quit. It's not important to me to make friends here because most of the people are just constant problems if not involved in illegal activities, and I am leaving, anyhow.

You're welcome to come up and look around, but Youngstown and Warren and their decay are well-documented in videos. Farrell is shot. Sharon is heading that way. New Castle is only holding its own in the newer northern part. Mercer and Lawrence and Crawford counties are all badly decayed shadows of their former selves. And they are much too far away from Pittsburgh to make commuting to Pittsburgh for a social life convenient or affordable or practical. I can't change anything about this region, and all of the towns here are totally dull towns for college-grad adults to live. I just don't appreciate the bluecollar and the ethnic and the impoverished and the subordinate subservient homemaker stuff. If y'all want it, then fine, enjoy it and stay the hail away from me with your dullness and ceaseless children underfoot and the rest of your problems. I won't miss the milltown mentality and "culture" at all, ever. Rust Belt and its bluecollar bums and their corrupt Democrat politicians shot themselves in both feet decades ago. It's not my problem, not my people, and I don't care. Yeah, it's SSDD, and then SSDY, over and over, because the area continues to die and stagnate, and nobody can turn that around. It's too rural and too poorly educated and too aged and too disabled and too substance-abuse-and-crime-riddled to attract new industries, because the kinds of employees that modern industry needs are not the kind of people who are here.

You will note that I am in this forum less and less. I didn't say what I really wanted to say to you but the board rules don't allow that.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:44 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
I don't buy anything they are selling, unless it's tickets for a Corvette or a Mustang. And you, I don't care whether or not you like what I have to say. I don't owe you anything, Smartpants. But I have been on-hold here helping get elderly parents through surgeries and get set up to care for themselves, because my siblings have moved away and then the ___ hit the fan while I was here, so I have stayed in Poverty Dump out of duty and obligation. I particularly strive to avoid having to spend time with homemakers and children, because in my world, it's raise one and quit. It's not important to me to make friends here because most of the people are just constant problems if not involved in illegal activities, and I am leaving, anyhow.

You're welcome to come up and look around, but Youngstown and Warren and their decay are well-documented in videos. Farrell is shot. Sharon is heading that way. New Castle is only holding its own in the newer northern part. Mercer and Lawrence and Crawford counties are all badly decayed shadows of their former selves. And they are much too far away from Pittsburgh to make commuting to Pittsburgh for a social life convenient or affordable or practical. I can't change anything about this region, and all of the towns here are totally dull towns for college-grad adults to live. I just don't appreciate the bluecollar and the ethnic and the impoverished and the subordinate subservient homemaker stuff. If y'all want it, then fine, enjoy it and stay the hail away from me with your dullness and ceaseless children underfoot and the rest of your problems. I won't miss the milltown mentality and "culture" at all, ever. Rust Belt and its bluecollar bums and their corrupt Democrat politicians shot themselves in both feet decades ago. It's not my problem, not my people, and I don't care. Yeah, it's SSDD, and then SSDY, over and over, because the area continues to die and stagnate, and nobody can turn that around. It's too rural and too poorly educated and too aged and too disabled and too substance-abuse-and-crime-riddled to attract new industries, because the kinds of employees that modern industry needs are not the kind of people who are here.

You will note that I am in this forum less and less. I didn't say what I really wanted to say to you but the board rules don't allow that.
Seriously, what do you do for a good time?

Old 06-25-2013, 06:06 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,242,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Seriously, what do you do for a good time?
I suspect they writes posts like the one you quote. It's a fine thing, has to be said

Old 06-25-2013, 07:02 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:

If only the Immigration Act of 1924 had come 30 years sooner!

Old 06-25-2013, 07:22 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
It's not important to me to make friends here because most of the people are just constant problems if not involved in illegal activities, and I am leaving, anyhow.
Man, all the stuff you wrote is pretty depressing. Sad. Hope you find a place that better suits your needs. You seem to think everyone is the same in Pittsburgh, which is an odd view. I hardly think people in my town are the same as they are in Sharpsburg as far as mindset. I don't think people in the South Side would have the same style as people in the NA school district. There is a wide variety of people around here to say the least, but if you are moving or already moved, then you should take a position of negativity. It makes the move easier mentally. Good luck. Let us know where you land and how you are doing someday. Would be interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh