U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-17-2013, 06:49 PM

18 posts, read 10,059 times
Default help-need itinerary for Wednesday

Hi! New to the forum here but decided to ask Pittsburgh forum for help because I am in urgent need of some ideas or possibilities for things to do downtown Pittsburgh ( or immediate vicinity) this coming Wednesday. The visitors are coming in from Europe and are middle aged and active. I know for certain i will take them to Andy Warhol museum but I need suggestions for restaurants etc. and I would also like the day to be pretty full of activities from a.m to evening. Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 07:09 PM

42,498 posts, read 47,596,826 times
While you're in the North Side for the Andy Warhol Museum, head over to the Mexican War Streets to the Mattress Factory and check out House Poem nearby, along with other houses in the neighborhood painted by writers living here in political asylum from other countries. Stop at the Aviary along the way to or from the Mexican War Streets.

Afterwards, hop the subway and head into downtown to stroll around and/or take it all the way to Station Square, stroll around there (inside and outside along the river) for a while, take an include up to Mt. Washington and eat lunch or dinner at a restaurant on Mt. Washington overlooking the city.

Are they into seeing other museums, like the Carnegie Museums of Modern Art and Natural History? Go to Oakland and spend time there, and check out the Cathedral of Learning nationality rooms. Phipps Conservatory is nearby in Schenley Park. There are many great places to eat in Oakland. Decide if you want to start in Oakland or North Side -- which area you'd prefer to have lunch or dinner and we'll give restaurant recommendations accordingly.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:31 PM

Thank you Hopes! I didn't think about Phipps-that's a great suggestion! So maybe we will do lunch downtown or Mt Washington and dinner in Oakland after Phipps. I am so glad I came to this forum because this was put upon me about 2 days ago and I suck at trying to pull plans together at the last minute like this! I'm not even sure what kind of restaurant and what they will feel like eating so I should probably have a few options handy. If any one has favorites that they wouldn't hesitate to recommend-please share!

Old 06-17-2013, 07:58 PM

127 posts, read 88,400 times
Shiloh Grill on Mt. Washington is a great place for a casual lunch/dinner. A lot of the places on Grandview are pretty pricey because of the views.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:27 PM

Whether you eat there or not, I think an incline ride up to Mt. Washington and seeing the views is a must.

Our subways are so clean compared to other countries, it's a nice ride over to Station Square to catch the incline.

DOWNTOWN:

Toonseum, a cartoon museum:

Welcome to the ToonSeum!

It's not far from the subway.

NORTH SIDE:

Read this (and check out the picture) about House Poem: Walk Down Sampsonia Way: House Poem by Huang Xiang | Sampsonia Way Magazine

Here's a free City of Asylum event on evening of June 20th if that's the day they are coming into town: Cave Canem Poets at City of Asylum | City of Asylum/Pittsburgh

Here's a picture of the other writer painted houses in the Mexican War Streets along with a picture of them:

City of Asylum Pittsburgh House Publications | City of Asylum/Pittsburgh

The Mattress Factory doesn't manufacture Mattresses. It's a museum just a few doors down from House Poem.

The Mattress Factory Art Museum

And, of course, the Aviary: The National Aviary - The Nation's Premier Bird Zoo

Other things to do in North Side: North Shore and North Side Must-See Attractions - Find Things to Do - Pittsburgh PA CVB

I know most of that was included in my first post, but I wanted to give you an idea of what the things I mentioned are.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:30 PM

We have a lot of foodies where who know much more about the restaurants in the area than I do.

I'm sure they will reply soon with many suggestions.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:46 PM

Thanks Stephen and Hopes for all the info. I know the T station is at Heinz Field but is there another station at PNC Park too? I'll park at Gen'l Robinson Garage to go to the Warhol.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:20 PM

216 posts, read 113,934 times
Trib has a pretty good calendar of events happening on any given day: Pittsburgh Events Calendar - TribLIVE.com

Don't forget about all the free art galleries downtown. None of them are very large but many are clustered together in the cultural district so it's easy to walk to them all.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:24 AM

567 posts, read 645,858 times
I had cousins from Slovenia visit last summer. We went to the Warhol and Mattress Factory (the latter was preferred), walked around the Mexican War Streets a bit, walked around downtown a bit, through the the Strip where we had tacos for lunch, and took a ride up to Mt Washington for the view and dinner at Shiloh Grill -- not necessarily all in that order. It's a fair walk if you plan it out in a good sequence, and the T and inclines help with the gaps (I think we parked at 1st Ave, took the T to the Northside, and walked from there to downtown to the incline which we took up to Mt Washington).

They also liked the Cathedral of Learning (you can visit the appropriate room matching their country). I personally am a big fan of picnics on Flagstaff Hill (though it was rainy when they were here). If they're into galleries and art and whatnot I might also swing by Lawrenceville or perhaps the South Side.

If you have extra time to fill, take a drive around some of the more interesting parts of town; you can stop if something interesting comes along.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:18 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,944,913 times
If you are starting on the North Side, I would take the Subway to Gateway Center and have lunch someplace in Market Square. Market Square is the busiest place downtown. Lots of dining options. From there hop back on the Subway and take it to Station Square and from there you can ride the incline.

Another North Side option is the Aviary. If you are heading to Phipps you might as well take them to the Carnegie Museum too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh