Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 06:10 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
While I was exploring the neighborhood, I chatted with an older guy who lives down there. He knew the history of every house on his part of the street, and listed off every one of them, who owned it, and what happened to it. Basically, they're all vacant, deteriorating, and left for dead by their owners who have washed their hands of the properties or died. Very sad. I heard the same stories when I talked to people in Spring Garden. It seems to be going on all over the city. Owners die, properties get tied up in legal problems or the people who inherit them wash their hands of the properties and let them sit too long, taxes go unpaid, and finally the city comes in and demolishes them. It breaks my heart, because some of those houses are architectural jewels, have survived since the 19th century, and are now treated like garbage.
I was in New Haven, Connecticut last week for work (the last place I lived before Pittsburgh actually). They have, to my surprise, a "livable city" department, which keeps contractors on the payroll who go into abandoned buildings and ensure they are secure from squatters and perform minimal repairs to stop the house from being condemned (mostly weather sealing).

I can't believe Pittsburgh can't find the money to do this. Hell, even if we need to shake down businesses for grants it should be feasible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 06:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyrnes View Post
I still cry (literally) about a house that got away.
I still stalk the house I want. It's way overpriced. It has been on the market for 4 years. She lowers the price 10k each year. I might be able to buy it 4 to 5 years from now if someone doesn't snatch it before me. I hope I'm its only stalker.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:19 PM

654 posts, read 945,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
If you have a real estate agent that's knowledgable about the market, you can get the heads up on it.

When I bought my house in 2007, I was told about the property going up for sale before it was listed and signed the contract it within a few days of the listing.
Well, therein lies the problem: The agent I'm working with doesn't know diddly-squat about the market in East Deutschtown, Spring Hill, Spring Garden, or Troy Hill. All of the houses we looked at were found by me, not him. In addition, he doesn't seem to know anything at all about historic homes either. He seems more knowledgeable about new construction. When I tried to describe to him the kind of home I'm looking for, I just don't think it registered. So, I think I need to find a new agent, an agent who knows these markets well and who frequently sells in the neighborhoods in which I want to buy.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:21 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
I'm doing a roundup of cheap, semi-historic housing again which seems in good condition. Getting to be rarer and rarer.

This Elliott home looks right up Alleghenyangel's alley.

Not incredibly historic on the inside anymore, but I like the curb appeal.

So many historic, perfectly intact houses are dirt cheap in Knoxville. Or Sheraden. Which bespeaks the quick decline into ghetto of the area I guess. Actual ghettos don't really have much on the market.

Cheap, huge Beechview house available due to bank sale.

I like the potential of this house in Brookline.

A couple of tiny rowhouses are available in (what I would call) the nicer part of Hazelwood.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:46 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Quote:

It costs the same to gut and remodel a house in Larimer as it does in Shadyside, but getting someone to pay $100k or $150k to live in a dangerous ghetto just isn't going to happen.
It wouldn't even take 1/4 that much to make most houses liveable.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:55 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Ha. You know me too well. I made on offer on the house on Fredonia Street. Given the amount of work the house needed, I couldn't afford to offer all of my savings. Sadly, the owner didn't accept. However, a preservationist friend of mine bought the house, so it will be in good hands, and I'll be able to visit!

Looks intact to me. All of the baseboards and mantles seem to be there. I don't know what is up with the entry hall. Great house, but overpriced for the location.

I've spent some time in Knoxville, and that's one of the few neighborhoods I would never choose to live in.

Quote:
Or Sheraden. Which bespeaks the quick decline into ghetto of the area I guess. Actual ghettos don't really have much on the market.
Sheraden is a bit nicer than Knoxville. Heck, it's nicer than Stowe in parts, and Stowe is pretty decent.

Quote:
A couple of tiny rowhouses are available in (what I would call) the nicer part of Hazelwood.
Seriously, SCR should put in an offer on one of those Hazelwood row houses. They're in "the bottoms" of Hazelwood, too. Hazelwood makes Sheraden look like Regent Square in comparison, though. Sheraden would polish up nicely. Actually, Sheraden does sort of resemble a poor man's Regent Square. I would never live there, though, because they have no Victorians.

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 06-29-2013 at 07:05 PM..

Old 06-29-2013, 07:28 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Unfortunately, we've been here 27 years -- it's still bad. Our tiny segment of here is okay, but the rest of it is not. And the gang activity and murders do seep over every once in a while.

I'm with you on becoming a jerk of all trades (that's funny and true for me too!). I've done wall repair and plumbing and all sorts of stuff. Hubby does electrical -- too scary for me.

One night year ago, we had a major plumbing mishap and we were under the sink taking apart the joints to clear it, and I said to my husband, somewhere up there, our dads are playing poker and drinking beer and laughing their butts off at their two idiot kids trying to figure this out.

Hubs said -- considering how incompetent I was growing up -- I think they'd be proud...

On reconsideration I had to agree with him.
Some neighborhoods do improve dramatically, others not so much. The problem is you don't know which way a sketchy neighborhood will go when you take the risk to buy there. I hope you at least have decent equity in your place.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
If you like the West End, $12,750 right on Steuben just above Guardian Angels. Its virtually across the street from the Pulaski Club.

227 Steuben St, Pittsburgh, PA 15220 - Zillow
If someone here buys it, you'd practically be my neighbor. Crafton's just a few miles away. Yay, west side!

Old 06-29-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
That's a gorgeous house. However, when homes go under contract that quickly (when the market is that hot), how does a person even have a chance?
I saw that same listing. I'm not in the market, but if I was I would have looked at that place. If you have an agent watching for what you're looking for, you'll hear about things before they're advertised.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
If you have a real estate agent that's knowledgable about the market, you can get the heads up on it.

When I bought my house in 2007, I was told about the property going up for sale before it was listed and signed the contract it within a few days of the listing.
The place next door to me sold in one day. The couple that bought it had been stalking historic homes in Crafton and put an offer on the place as soon as it hit the market. I cannot tell you how great it is to be surrounded by neighbors who love old homes as much as I do. We all have done things others might consider a bit crazy for our homes. My neighbors across the street bought old fireplace mantels to replace the ones that had been remodeled in their home. My next door neighbors gutted the "remuddled" bathroom and are putting in a clawfoot tub and other historic features. I could go on. I am very happy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh