Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 08:34 PM

39 posts, read 54,709 times

Advertisements

Do I have to know a good old boy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 08:36 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
You have to live within the city limits first, and it doesn't hurt to be a registered member of the Democratic Party with an excellent record of voting.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:36 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Depends on what you are looking for...

With a ZIP code of 15201, you should know already!

Old 07-09-2013, 09:01 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
With a ZIP code of 15201, you should know already!
I'm sure many Pittsburghers don't know! I don't!

What I do know is a Russian who works for the city. So you don't have to know a good old boy, but it wouldn't hurt to know one.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:03 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,929 times
Although not unique to just the city of Pittsburgh, working for any regional/ state/ federal government entity in today's economic climate, would have to be considered among the best jobs available. Where else can a sometimes minimally skilled employee receive a livable wage, job security, paid holidays & vacations, health benefits, life insurance, early retirement perks, and a defined benefit pension? That being said, these jobs are becoming increasingly scarce. The political " backscratching" is far-reaching, and the odds of landing one of these plum positions is incredibly challenging without the "influence" of those elected. It is incredibly unfair (and civil service tests are mostly non-existent). Good luck, and you will certainly need it, if you are seeking one of these jobs without a strongly influential politician (including school board members if your job search takes you toward employment in a school) ascertaining that you are the best candidate for the job, even if you are not.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:22 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
I think it's not necessarily as difficult as it is a time-consuming process. I was called back a YEAR after I had scored rather highly on the civil service exam for a position as a Clerical Assistant II at City Hall. By that time I was already employed by PNC. Do they honestly think someone who took a civil service exam a year ago is still going to be unemployed when there's so many other jobs available in this city in the interim?

Old 07-09-2013, 09:27 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I think it's not necessarily as difficult as it is a time-consuming process. I was called back a YEAR after I had scored rather highly on the civil service exam for a position as a Clerical Assistant II at City Hall. By that time I was already employed by PNC. Do they honestly think someone who took a civil service exam a year ago is still going to be unemployed when there's so many other jobs available in this city in the interim?
Oh, I am sitting on my hands.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Do they honestly think someone who took a civil service exam a year ago is still going to be unemployed when there's so many other jobs available in this city in the interim?
Many people will quit their jobs to work for the government when one becomes available. I made the same mistake when I was close to your age. I had moved to Harrisburg to find work. I applied everywhere. Six months later I was offered a job with the state for a position in PITTSBURGH. I found a job in Harrisburg a week after moving there. Quitting the job wasn't the problem. I didn't mind job hopping. But I thought, "I just MOVED here!" I turned down the job. Decades later, I still regret my decision. It wasn't just any job with the state. It was an exceptional position. It was a once in a life time opportunity, but I was too young to realize it.

Also consider how PNC worked out. The city was well aware of your online personality. They wouldn't have been fazed one bit by anything you posted here. Clerical Assistant II at City Hall had a lot of potential as a foot in the door for an interesting career.

You should apply again!

Old 07-10-2013, 05:09 PM

654 posts, read 944,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Although not unique to just the city of Pittsburgh, working for any regional/ state/ federal government entity in today's economic climate, would have to be considered among the best jobs available. Where else can a sometimes minimally skilled employee receive a livable wage, job security, paid holidays & vacations, health benefits, life insurance, early retirement perks, and a defined benefit pension? That being said, these jobs are becoming increasingly scarce. The political " backscratching" is far-reaching, and the odds of landing one of these plum positions is incredibly challenging without the "influence" of those elected. It is incredibly unfair (and civil service tests are mostly non-existent). Good luck, and you will certainly need it, if you are seeking one of these jobs without a strongly influential politician (including school board members if your job search takes you toward employment in a school) ascertaining that you are the best candidate for the job, even if you are not.
They are oftentimes minimally skilled, rather than sometimes! haha But in all seriousness, the fact that, after I purchase a home here, which will be within the next 6 months (most likely), my property tax dollars will be paying for these people's holidays and vacations, life insurance, early retirement, overly generous pension plans, etc. frustrates me to no end. Property taxes in Allegheny County are too damn high. So, I hope it's hard to get a job with the city, and I hope it gets harder, as fewer and fewer jobs are offered, and with less generous pay/benefits.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:27 PM

281 posts, read 340,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
They are oftentimes minimally skilled, rather than sometimes! haha But in all seriousness, the fact that, after I purchase a home here, which will be within the next 6 months (most likely), my property tax dollars will be paying for these people's holidays and vacations, life insurance, early retirement, overly generous pension plans, etc. frustrates me to no end. Property taxes in Allegheny County are too damn high. So, I hope it's hard to get a job with the city, and I hope it gets harder, as fewer and fewer jobs are offered, and with less generous pay/benefits.

Why would you not want workers to have vacation time, paid days off for Christmas, Fourth of July, Thanksgiving, pensions, etc.? Most of them are skilled, but even if not, those jobs should include benefits. That's selfish and short-sighted. I have a hunch I'll be paying more city taxes than you for the foreseeable future, and I have no wish to short anybody on their pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh