Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 09:46 PM

197 posts, read 279,989 times

Advertisements

I happened to drive through it a few months ago and I noticed a lot of eyesores. There was a mostly abandoned shopping center with an ugly abandoned Walmart, and a creepy abandoned Pizza Hut was at the other end of town. Is this area known for being rough?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 12:04 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,032,431 times
Fayette County has high unemployment and poverty, however it's not necessarily a "bad" area outside of those factors. Uniontown is a nice little city.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:00 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,347,109 times
The Wal Mart moved from the Cherry Tree shopping plaza to the Fayette Shopping plaza to become a Super Wal Mart, and ironically the Pizza Hut moved close to where Wal Mart used to be. I have been hearing rumors of a Sams Club going in where Wal Mart used to be, but with how long it has been vacant I am not exactly sure whether or not it is going to happen. Uniontown is more poverty stricken than dangerous

Old 07-15-2013, 07:06 AM

288 posts, read 511,239 times
I heard the old walmart building is structurally unsound and the floor is sinking, so no Sam's Club. Can't remember who told me though, so it might not be very reliable.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:53 AM

421 posts, read 834,348 times
The Walmart in Dickson City PA (near Scranton) opened in 1995 but was shut down in 1997 because of rocks falling from the mountain behind the store, hitting the back wall and endangering the occupants. Today it still sits empty. It was nice though that the replacement for this store got to be the first Supercenter in the area though, but on the other hand, this is probably the most old and tired looking Supercenter in the state at this point. A Wegmans was built across the parking lot from the condemned old store, and I guess it attracts the richer people when they buy groceries, while the poorer half goes to Walmart. It makes no sense though that the Walmart Supercenter was built a half mile from the original Walmart, yet Wegmans ended up with such a prime location next to the old Walmart.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:04 PM

421 posts, read 834,348 times
Was there a McDonalds at the Walmart in Uniontown? Or was there a Radio Grill? That was a 50s diner concept exclusive to Walmart stores in the 90s. It seems like they phased it out at most older, smaller Walmart stores as they were expanded into Supercenters, or moved to brand new Supercenters as happened in Uniontown. But the newer non-Supercenter stores (mostly opened in the early 2000s) often had Radio Grill, and this batch of stores was usually in areas new to Walmart at that time, which often were areas with no room for Supercenters, and where Walmart had to reuse empty buildings instead of building new stores from the ground up.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:12 PM

288 posts, read 511,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
Was there a McDonalds at the Walmart in Uniontown? Or was there a Radio Grill? That was a 50s diner concept exclusive to Walmart stores in the 90s. It seems like they phased it out at most older, smaller Walmart stores as they were expanded into Supercenters, or moved to brand new Supercenters as happened in Uniontown. But the newer non-Supercenter stores (mostly opened in the early 2000s) often had Radio Grill, and this batch of stores was usually in areas new to Walmart at that time, which often were areas with no room for Supercenters, and where Walmart had to reuse empty buildings instead of building new stores from the ground up.
From what I remember, Uniontown's Walmart always had a McDonalds, but the Mt. Pleasant one opened with a Radio Grill until it was replaced by a Subway.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:26 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
I've had to do business there, for PTC. It's small but not dangerous. The drive to/from the airport is gorgeous. Only problem I had was not being able to buy beer at a store.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:20 AM

4 posts, read 6,266 times
I grew up in Uniontown and now live in the mountains of Fayette County. The Unemployment here is terrible, and there are a LOT of people living on the system. There is a bit of a drug problem here as well. It's not a bad place to live, but there is pretty much zero upward mobility and the job market is shrinking instead of growing. They are finally tearing down the old walmart, (I too have heard that the ground is structurally unsound) and they did tear down the old pizza hut. It's really not a bad area, there are new stores and resturants being added (Olive Garden and TJ Max last year, Michaels and 5 Below are being built now) I moved back here after graduating college, but we are looking to move out of the area because I can't find a decent job.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:59 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,769 times
The only bad parts are the housing projects & the surrounding areas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh