Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 07:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,164 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I know this topic has come up several times, I think the last being a year ago. I was hoping to gain some new info from you guys.

I'm a NYS certified science teacher (biology and general science certifications grades 7-12) with 4 years experience teaching in a low-income NYC public school. I'm currently waiting to take the Praxis II on July 20th to complete my application for certification in PA, though I've heard that the certification process is a feat in itself.

I have a few questions and will be grateful if anyone could offer insight, advice, or personal stories on the following:
- What are the prospects of finding a science teacher position in the Pittsburgh metro area?
- How "easy" is it to get an emergency certificate? After much research, it seems I won't be getting my initial I certification by September.
- What is it like to teach in a metro area school?
- I haven't been able to find a listing of positions open in specific Pitts metro schools (I found one job application for all public schools in general). Is there a listing for specific schools with vacancies? If not, how do you think I should go about getting my resume out to specific schools? I've read in a previous post from years ago about calling secretaries-- is this still standard practice (vs. emailing, showing up to the school, etc)?.

Thank you so much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 10:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
In addition to the one application for all vacancies, did you find this?

Finding A Teaching Position

I'd definitely contact schools directly.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,164 times
Hi Hopes,

No, and it looks really helpful. Thank you and thank you again.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:49 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,473 times
As a recently retired teacher and coach, I can tell you that being a teacher in PA has become one of the most lucrative careers imaginable. The salaries, health benefits, pension plan, job security, hours/days worked annually combined are almost impossible to surpass in any other sector of the PA workplace. That being said, the jobs are very scarce in any subject area (especially when teachers can add extra certifications via Praxis) that strong political connections are often more influential in the hiring process than are the educational qualifications. It doesn't hurt either, if you have coaching qualifications based upon your college participation- I cannot tell you how beneficial this is, especially if the sport that will have much parental/community involvement.

As a side note, school district budgets are awry statewide. As a result, more teaching positions are being eliminated, making the specter of being hired, as a new teacher, even more challenging. Prior to my retirement, I knew many excellent substitutes to waiting for their chance to teach extending beyond 5 years. Good luck, I hope opportunity comes your way, but be aware that competition for these jobs is immense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: