Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2013, 12:16 PM

354 posts, read 475,425 times

Advertisements

Hello, it's been quite a while since I posted here, but hope everyone is well.

My 'fiance' and I are now in the process of purchasing a rowhouse on the river side of Butler St. in Central Lawrenceville (yay!) and have some questions about development plans in the area. We are both avid kayakers and also ride bikes, so the Allegheny Green Boulevard proposal, notably the 43rd St. district, is very intriguing to us. I've read this: http://ura.org/pdfs/ARGB/2013.03.21_...ve-Summary.pdf but I don't know much else.

We are moving cross town, being previously near the Southside Works, and the idea of losing trail/river access is a disappointing prospect, but I'm hoping this may, at some point, mitigate that loss. Any info, insights, timelines, statuses, current trail/river access or even the state of the old industrial in the area would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 12:51 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
Hello, it's been quite a while since I posted here, but hope everyone is well.

My 'fiance' and I are now in the process of purchasing a rowhouse on the river side of Butler St. in Central Lawrenceville (yay!) and have some questions about development plans in the area. We are both avid kayakers and also ride bikes, so the Allegheny Green Boulevard proposal, notably the 43rd St. district, is very intriguing to us. I've read this: http://ura.org/pdfs/ARGB/2013.03.21_...ve-Summary.pdf but I don't know much else.

We are moving cross town, being previously near the Southside Works, and the idea of losing trail/river access is a disappointing prospect, but I'm hoping this may, at some point, mitigate that loss. Any info, insights, timelines, statuses, current trail/river access or even the state of the old industrial in the area would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
As far as I know, 43rd Street Concrete couldn't be convinced to relocate to Upper Lawrenceville, as was desired, so this part of the plan is in limbo.

I live in this section of Lawrenceville. It's a great place to live if you bike into the city, but the trail on this side of the river is useless for anything except getting under the 40th Street Bridge. If you don't want to ride the streets, I'd suggest you cross over at 40th Street and ride the Northside trail into town.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:42 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,253,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
As far as I know, 43rd Street Concrete couldn't be convinced to relocate to Upper Lawrenceville, as was desired, so this part of the plan is in limbo.

Do you have something newer than this?

City pushes 43rd Street Concrete plant to relocate | TribLIVE

Even though they like their current location, it seems as if the concrete outfit is fine with moving, if an appropriate location can be provided. Of course a move off of 43rd Street would necessitate a change in name for them as well.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:01 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Actually, it would be a great conversation starter for new clients who might ask why "43rd Street Concrete" is on Route 51 or Washington Boulevard or something. They could respond "we were gentrified off of 43rd!"

Old 07-19-2013, 08:09 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Do you have something newer than this?

City pushes 43rd Street Concrete plant to relocate | TribLIVE

Even though they like their current location, it seems as if the concrete outfit is fine with moving, if an appropriate location can be provided. Of course a move off of 43rd Street would necessitate a change in name for them as well.
I think they were unable to find a suitable location to relocate that they approved of. This is all secondhand neighborhood rumor however, so take it with a grain of salt. Maybe they're stuck in the financing stage - that often takes quite awhile.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:20 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,253,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I think they were unable to find a suitable location to relocate that they approved of. This is all secondhand neighborhood rumor however, so take it with a grain of salt. Maybe they're stuck in the financing stage - that often takes quite awhile.

It is tough to find a good location to move to that would be better than their current location. I don't know what particularly makes the 43rd St. site a good one- they do say they are satisfied with this.

But I'm sure that if the city fathers provide enough of a subsidy, they'd be willing to find a suburban location that could meet their needs and abandon Lawrenceville.

A lot of folks think those darn "yinzers" that drive cement mixers are a bit of an embarrassment to the city anyhow, and the 43rd St. office building would be a good location for a coffee shop or art gallery.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:31 PM

281 posts, read 340,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
It is tough to find a good location to move to that would be better than their current location. I don't know what particularly makes the 43rd St. site a good one- they do say they are satisfied with this.

But I'm sure that if the city fathers provide enough of a subsidy, they'd be willing to find a suburban location that could meet their needs and abandon Lawrenceville.

A lot of folks think those darn "yinzers" that drive cement mixers are a bit of an embarrassment to the city anyhow, and the 43rd St. office building would be a good location for a coffee shop or art gallery.
I hope you're being facetious about the "yinzers" comment. Or maybe you're referring to a certain city-data poster. People just want the trucks off the residential street because of the noise, diesel fumes, houses shaking, occasional damage to cars, and drivers' habit of idling for hours in the middle of the night in front of houses while they're sleeping or... something. If you're in the front room of a house that a big truck is passing, conversation has to halt until the truck is gone.

The 43rd Street Concrete owner has said that he'd like to move to a less residential, more truck-friendly site. He seemed to like the idea of relocating to around the 62nd Street Bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh