Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 10:01 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,458,699 times

Advertisements

Actually....quite a few trees in Shadyside and Squirrel Hill too. So that's not impossible around Pittsburgh.

Posted with TapaTalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 07:09 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
The chicks wish I were single, lol. J/k. No, got a 7 year old kid and a GF. I'm doing this for my kid, I want him to experience a different part of the US. I live in Corpus Christi, TX.
In that case yes, renting in Shadyside will suit you perfectly. It's certainly out of your range in terms of home ownership though, unless you want to live in a condo. You'd probably have to look to Point Breeze North, Greenfield, or the far southern part of Squirrel Hill, which aren't as walkable (and not hip). Or consider moving to Brookline, which is on the southern end of the city, but has a good K-8 and a pretty good business district.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:29 PM

146 posts, read 216,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Can someone tell me how the tech sector is looking and also, where to in the city I can get a 2br house/apt for about 1200 in a good elementary school district? Oh, and if it could be hip, safe , walkable and have lots of trees. I'm kidding about the last sentence, I know that's not realistic, but yeah, those would be nice.
FWIW, We moved to PGH four months ago, when my boyfriend got a tech job. I asked him your question, and he thinks the tech sector is doing pretty well. His team has hired several new people since he started, and all of them had multiple employment options when they offered the jobs.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:41 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabinekotaro View Post
FWIW, We moved to PGH four months ago, when my boyfriend got a tech job. I asked him your question, and he thinks the tech sector is doing pretty well. His team has hired several new people since he started, and all of them had multiple employment options when they offered the jobs.
Good to hear. Thanks.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:39 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabinekotaro View Post
I work in software and can certainly confirm this observation.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:48 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
In the 1950's, Silicon Valley (San Jose, Palo Alto, etc.) California, was unimportant and not doing especially well economically. But in the years since then, it had incredible economic success, because of the development of the integrated circuit, microprocessors, etc.

The Artificial Intelligence industry practically went bust in the 1980's because it was before its time. But its time has finally arrived. Places that have universities with good AI programs are likely to start doing better economically like Silicon Valley did. A house that now costs $100,000 in such a place might cost $1,000,000 when AI starts to become the kind of success Silicon Valley became. Graduates of universities often start businesses near those universities, and those businesses often become the leaders of whatever new industry got started in the research labs of those universities.

OTOH there is one thing that could prevent such a vision from going the expected way. The internet keeps growing and getting faster. People might start moving from cities to lower population areas, because they might have everything they need on the internet, including their jobs, and might want to avoid the problems of big cities. In other words, the leaders of the coming AI revolution might be internet companies with no particular location.

There is no way to predict which way (or which unknown way) things will go, nor when. We can only speculate.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:15 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
The weather isn't bad. Lots of cloudy and rainy days. Humidity can be uncomfortable.
I live in Houston, believe me, you have no idea what humidity is until you experience a Houston summer. Wish I could spend my summers in Pittsburgh and the rest of the year here.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:08 AM

632 posts, read 853,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I live in Houston, believe me, you have no idea what humidity is until you experience a Houston summer. Wish I could spend my summers in Pittsburgh and the rest of the year here.
My dad worked for US Steel in the 1970's. He was involved in the construction of that big 48 inch pipe mill in Baytown, Texas. He commuted back and forth from Houston on almost a weekly basis for over a year. His comment to me about the experience was "do NOT move to the Gulf Coast of Texas unless you actually enjoy the feeling of wet underwear".

Old 05-29-2014, 04:08 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,552,972 times
wow, blast from the past!! I've changed!! Want to live in the burbs near a big city........

Old 05-30-2014, 06:51 AM

11 posts, read 9,471 times
Hey it's my first post, so I may as well type about what I know; Pittsburgh. Lived here for all of my 42 years of life on the planet, grew up on the South Side flats and I lived in Brentwood, Homestead, and Mt. Oliver. I work a lot in the South Hills. I travel a lot, I've seen a lot of places, and I am currently looking to move to South Carolina now that I have the freedom to do so. I'll miss a lot of things and a lot of people. My view of the city is by in large positive but I only speak for myself.

Pittsburgh just feels like home, but my personality doesn't really fit in here anymore. My attitude towards health and nutrition has come to the forefront of my life over the past 5 years, I probably could be described as a Southern Cal kind of guy. I eat right, workout, and really think about the the environment and silly things like air pollution and how much sunlight I get to feel. It's hard to find like minded people, it's a very obese population, it just is. So the few women left that are my age, healthy, and available are very rare. This is frustrating because I want my wife to go run with me once in awhile and fuss over her diet and drink wine once in awhile-not all the time, like I do. It's not shallow, it's just where I am at right now with my life, priorities change.

Some random thoughts:

If you like food and alcohol Pittsburgh is a fun town for the young and old.

The infrastructure is dated, and the road conditions range from a freshly bombed Iraq to a maze of detours. It's getting better, there have been some brilliant new intersections that have really opened things up and sped up the commuting. It's taken a lifetime, but they are really getting things done now, and done right!

Kennywood. Love it, brings out the kid in me.

Great places to hike, it makes me sad that people can live here all their life and never really see the beauty that is right there in their backyard! Join a hiking club, get lost in the woods, trek over a massive hill, it's closer than you think!

Some places I go to, the air seems to be reinvigorating, the air seems heavy with pollutants. I'm only allergic to ragweed and I've built up a stronger tolerance to it. It's just noticeably bad compared to other areas in the country.

Lots of hills.

Not enough sunlight. Clouds linger, a lot of the time.

I work out doors, the winters are tough. I love the changing of the seasons, but the winters are tough. I'm getting too old to work so hard in such a tough climate.

Summers are nice, but there isn't a beach nearby. I like beaches!

People, usually I am the a-hole. And I'm a pretty nice guy. So, based on that most people are nice around here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh