Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 05:24 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times

Advertisements

I'm doing fine, as is my wife. Love the local economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 07:03 PM

51 posts, read 74,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
After looking at this report I like what I see Especially when you compare it to other cities in PA. Pittsburgh is doing better.. Thanks for posting.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:12 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,380 times
Aging America: The Cities That Are Graying The Fastest - Forbes

Old 07-22-2013, 07:17 PM

No. 48: Pittsburgh, PA - In Photos: The Fastest-Growing Cities In The U.S. - Forbes

Old 07-22-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd76539 View Post
After looking at this report I like what I see Especially when you compare it to other cities in PA. Pittsburgh is doing better.. Thanks for posting.
Pennsylvania is doing terrible as a whole. Pittsburgh ranks 72 out of 100 overall and 89 out of 100 for unemployment. Youngstown, ohio is doing better than every city in Pennsylvania

Old 07-22-2013, 09:19 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Pittsburgh added 15,500 jobs between June 2012 and June 2013. Throw the numbers from March in the trash. They were an aberration compared to the prevailing trend since 2Q 2010. Stop dwelling on March and look at the bigger picture.

OnNumbers has Pittsburgh ranked 17th out of 100 in their economic indices. And that MetroMonitor report has Pittsburgh ranked average in employment growth (52nd), GDP growth (42nd) and house appreciation (60th) since the nadir of each. The unemployment rate hasn't decreased much because Pittsburgh (and Pennsylvania) have rapidly-growing labor pools.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:20 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
Pennsylvania is doing terrible as a whole. Pittsburgh ranks 72 out of 100 overall and 89 out of 100 for unemployment. Youngstown, ohio is doing better than every city in Pennsylvania

You should probably move there.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:30 AM

654 posts, read 945,064 times
If I said that Pittsburgh's unemployment wasn't low I'd be lying. Jobs are available. However, in this city, wages are quite low. Okay, and before you go on about how the cost of living is low here to try to justify the poor wages, well, truthfully, it's not, at least when compared with large portions of the country. The cost of living is lower, if not significantly lower, throughout the Southern states. Moreover, wages down there aren't lower; they're comparable, even higher. I should know, since I recently relocated from the South. (I expect the same can be said for large portions of the Midwest and Rocky Mountain states: lower COL than Pittsburgh, yet comparable or higher wages.)

Alright, now you people most likely are going to dish out that "but, but, the price of housing is so low here" nonsense. Okay, the price of housing is low, but only if you want to live amongst public housing projects, Section 8 renters, blight, rampant property crime, drug dealers dealing in the streets, and abandoned houses. (Where I rent, there's rampant drug dealing; I've witnessed them selling little bags of white powder. The Pittsburgh narcotics unit have been called twice. Also, I pick litter up out of my front yard every day. This is what you have to put up with in Spring Hill, one of Pittsburgh's so-called "affordable" and "safe" neighborhoods.) If, however, you want to purchase a decent house in a safe, stable neighborhood, you're going to have to pay $150,000 or more. So, as can be seen, if you want to live a normal existence, away from the chaos of the ghetto, Pittsburgh actually isn't any more affordable than any other city of its size. Don't listen to the housing affordability propaganda.

On a different note, Pittsburgh has potential. This place really could be much more livable. It would be untruthful of me to say that the city doesn't have amazing architecture, for it surely does. Many neighborhoods have great housing stock, very historic housing, yet the people who inhabit them are impeding their redevelopment (slum lords who've chopped up the larger homes, trashy tenants, Section 8 renters, welfare queens, people who just couldn't care less). Pittsburgh is an interesting place with a fascinating history. It's just a shame that so many Pittsburghers have the attitude they have. It's a shame crime and drugs are so rampant. It's a shame there are so many unkempt and abandoned properties. It's a shame there's litter up to your ears everywhere. It's a shame so many people have this apathetic, "I don't give a damn" attitude.

Last edited by The King of Um; 07-23-2013 at 06:45 AM..

Old 07-23-2013, 06:57 AM

733 posts, read 987,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post

Alright, now you people most likely are going to dish out that "but, but, the price of housing is so low here" nonsense. Okay, the price of housing is low, but only if you want to live amongst public housing projects, Section 8 renters, blight, rampant property crime, drug dealers dealing in the streets, and abandoned houses. (Where I rent, there's rampant drug dealing; I've witnessed them selling little bags of white powder. The Pittsburgh narcotics unit have been called twice. Also, I pick litter up out of my front yard every day. This is what you have to put up with in Spring Hill, one of Pittsburgh's so-called "affordable" and "safe" neighborhoods.) If, however, you want to purchase a decent house in a safe, stable neighborhood, you're going to have to pay $150,000 or more. So, as can be seen, if you want to live a normal existence, away from the chaos of the ghetto, Pittsburgh actually isn't any more affordable than any other city of its size. Don't listen to the housing affordability propaganda.
This is flat out wrong, sorry...a bit offensive, as well. You should be more mindful of the way you communicate your opinions.

I know a few people who bought homes in Upper Lawrenceville, one who bought in Brighton Heights, two who bought in Greenfield, another two who bought in West View, one who bought in Penn Hills and another two who bought in Troy Hill. Not a single one of these people paid $100,000 for their home, and all of these neighborhoods are perfectly fine.

You do not know what a ghetto is. You should stop using the term because the way you use it makes you sound like an affluent elitist who is very far removed from a "normal existence."

Old 07-23-2013, 07:01 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPittsburgh View Post
I know a few people who bought homes in Upper Lawrenceville, one who bought in Brighton Heights, two who bought in Greenfield, another two who bought in West View, one who bought in Penn Hills and another two who bought in Troy Hill. Not a single one of these people paid $100,000 for their home, and all of these neighborhoods are perfectly fine.
In my six years and counting of living in Lawrenceville (which still had a rough reputation when I moved here), I have been propositioned for drugs exactly once. We've occasionally had small things stolen out of our backyard, like a metal tin and the lights on my bike. The worst thing that happened was a generator being swiped off our back steps before I could chain it somewhere. Still, that was four years ago, and as far as the travails of urban living go, I consider it pretty minor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh