U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-14-2008, 07:55 PM

9 posts, read 18,122 times
Default Cost of Living in Pgh

I'm new here, but thought I'd share on this thread as well.

I am sad to see so many young people leave the area. I am one of the few raised here that stay. I work a job I didn't expect to as does my husband - also from Pgh. We decided this area was best for our family.

There are things besides costs of living that need to be taken into consideration when looking at an area.

One more thought on a previous thought regarding women earning less than men in this area. Many times highly educated women accept lesser pay because it gives them more flexiblity with family. I am certainly one of those. I made my choices in my career based upon staying in Pgh and having flexibility for my kids. That isn't often noted in statistics...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 12:04 PM

17 posts, read 44,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
"I have no idea where you live, Merge, but if it weren't middle class people would be able to afford the rise in prices."

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you are trying to say with this sentence. On one hand you are telling me that your village is "middle class", but then on the other you are saying that property values are skyrocketing so that middle class people can't live there. Certainly no one in a "middle class" area in Pittsburgh is going to be demanding $800K for their house. You can find great homes in what you defined as your "reasonable" range ($250,000) all over Pittsburgh and its immediate suburbs. And that house would be the equivalent of an upper middle class house in just about any other major US City. I don't know what to tell you if you think the Pittsburgh area is "over-priced". If you need me to recommend a good local real estate agent, then let me know.
What I'm saying is that to a middle class family and the availability of credit (tightening now, but this was just before the crisis hit), $250,000 is not out of line--the average home sells for $268,000 in Sewickley, based on Census data. As I said, middle class or upper middle class. Certainly not wealthy. On the other hand, $800,000 is WAY out of line. This guy was translating West Coast prices into a Pittsburgh market. Only the wealthy here can afford that. But my friends wanted to stay in Sewickley; they are very active in the community here and they want to keep their kids in QV. They don't think they're going to be able to do that, though.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:22 AM
Status: "Go Giants! Enjoying the SF-like weather. Cool and grey." (set 2 days ago)

2,637 posts, read 1,744,930 times
I've been considering moving to pgh in a few years when my kids are grown and investing in real estate. The prices are so incredibly low by CA standards, even with the current slump in the market. The house next door to me is for sale for $493,000. It's a 2 bdr, 1 ba home about 960 sq ft in excellent condition. It sold for $700,000 two years ago. The same house in pgh would be less than half of the lower CA price.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:26 PM

353 posts, read 552,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gswpa View Post
I am writing this because I am a realist. Unfortunately, certain citizens of Pittsburgh believe that their city is great and everything is turning around.
Acctually, it is turning around. Compared to how bad things were in the 70's and 80's the city has really improved.

Quote:
Property taxes and crime are high.
Ummm... no... property taxes are relatively low in the city... as for other taxes, you have to be making 100k a year to pay $1,000 in taxes... pretty light.

As for crime... it is pretty low compared to most other cities its size. Not sure what you are talking about, but except for a few select areas of the city, I never feel unsafe walking around Pittsburgh.

Quote:
The schools are terrible.
How so?

Quote:
Parking fees are the highest in the country.
Or... you could try getting a Residential Parking pass... its only $20/year and you can park pretty much anywhere.

Quote:
The high paying jobs are located in outlying counties.
Again... I would like to seee your proof. There are many high paying jobs in the city.

Quote:
The city is facing a financial bankruptcy within the next few years.
This is true, saddly. Aging infrasturcture and people (like you) who are leaving are the cause for this problem.

Quote:
The population numbers are dwindling. Pittsburgh is still a Rust Belt city.
KIDS SAY BAD WORDS! NO ONE RESPECTS THIER ELDERS!!! PEOPLE DONT TALK RIGHT!!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!

Quote:
(We can't even get family and friends to go to Pittsburgh when they come to visit because they think it's a slum.)
Well... then your family is ignorant, because the vast majority of Pittsburgh is not slummy at all. Nothing wrong with the Downtown, South Side, Shadyside, etc. Would your family happen to just be average, feint hearted white suburbanites who think the sight of more than two black people standing together "means trouble"?

Quote:
Therefore, I plead with you to move to an area outside of Allegheny county. Property taxes and crime are low. It's a quick drive to shopping and work.
Ummmm... no its not. Half of Westmoreland County is a slum... the other half is made up of stuffy, boring soccermoms. Traffic in Westmoreland County is terrible, it takes an hour and a half to drive 30 miles sometimes.

As for the City's driving... did you ever consider... OMG... walking? There aren't too many places around that most of what you need is not, at most, a 30 minute walk away. Plus walking has been proven to be beneficial to your health, and the possibility of reduced medical bills is something we can all look forward to.

I love the city, in part because I can park my car and literally completely forget where I left it, because I only have to use it once a week. The amount of money I save of gas alone is enough to justify all the other living expenses.

Quote:
Again, I suggest a move to Westmoreland, Washington, Beaver, Armstrong, or Butler counties.
Well, I already went through Westmoreland...

Washington Country is like West Virginia, with less of an accent. Beaver is terribly run down in alot of areas. Armstrong is a forrest. Butler... well, just don't live in any of the towns and your fine. Butler the town is a million times worse than Pittsburgh.

Quote:
Please keep the home appreciations rising in the outlying counties! Thanks!
In other words, "move out here and keep the minorities where they are". And I vote Republican (most of the time), BTW... so I'm not some liberal activist trying to run down wealthy whites.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:59 PM

69,138 posts, read 58,222,176 times
Quote:
This is true, saddly. Aging infrasturcture and people (like you) who are leaving are the cause for this problem.
Everyone has to do what is best for them. For some, that means leaving. Do not blame Pittsburgh's problems on the people who left. People left b/c they lost their jobs.

Quote:
then your family is ignorant
Not a very nice thing to say about someone's family.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Everyone has to do what is best for them. For some, that means leaving. Do not blame Pittsburgh's problems on the people who left. People left b/c they lost their jobs.
This was true up to a point. A lot of people left the area due to the collapse of the steel industry. That's fine. But later flight to the suburbs had nothing to do with that. First, people moved out. Then the businesses followed naturally to exploit the new opportunity in the suburbs. This one-two punch killed the tax base in a lot of cities. This is why Pittsburgh (and many cities like it) is struggling now, not because of the steel industry). It hard to save money when you have to pay for aging infrastructure that must be maintained so that fewer and fewer can pay for it.

In the mean time, Americans have devoted themselves to suburbia which is the cause of enumerable problems that I could write a book about. I'm sorry, but the suburban life style is ridiculous... its wasteful, it causes a whole host of social problems, its disgustingly ugly, it is a gigantic mess... I could go on and on.

Quote:
Not a very nice thing to say about someone's family.
Faced with the choice of being nice and being right I will choose right every single time. And I'll never be ashamed for that.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:56 PM

And frankly, I'm tired of hearing people who have no perspective on the issue tear down Pittsburgh. I have brought people from Philadelphia, Erie, New York City, and other places through this city and all they ever talk about is how great it is, and how much they love and it must be nice to live here.

Is it the greatest place on Earth... no. Are there better places for employment... certainly. Does it have problems... yes. But calling Pittsburgh a tax Hell, and a slum, and jobless and this and that and the other thing is just plain wrong and someone would know that if they had any clue what they were talking about.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:08 PM

People are free to move about the country. No one has an obligation to stay anywhere to "make it better".

Quote:
Faced with the choice of being nice and being right I will choose right every single time. And I'll never be ashamed for that.
Calling someone's family ignorant is nothing to be proud of. A little sensitivity and diplomacy goes a long way.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:25 PM

2,902 posts, read 6,899,103 times
Quote:
You can usually be both nice and right. Everything can be said tastefully. Just because you are telling someone the "truth" and it's something they don't want to hear doesn't mean it's RIGHT to do it ignorantly or disrespectfully.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:30 PM

Well put, guylocke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh