U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-11-2007, 12:44 AM
 
77 posts, read 65,998 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

I am writing this because I am a realist. Unfortunately, certain citizens of Pittsburgh believe that their city is great and everything is turning around. It's not. It's actually getting worse. Property taxes and crime are high. The schools are terrible. Parking fees are the highest in the country. The high paying jobs are located in outlying counties. The city is facing a financial [SIZE=2]bankruptcy within the next few years. The population numbers are dwindling. Pittsburgh is still a Rust Belt city. [/SIZE]
(We can't even get family and friends to go to Pittsburgh when they come to visit because they think it's a slum.)

Therefore, I plead with you to move to an area outside of Allegheny county. Property taxes and crime are low. It's a quick drive to shopping and work. The public and private schools are excellent. Great colleges are located in surrounding counties. Even the Catholic church has seen greener pastures and is building new schools in Butler county and closing ones in Pittsburgh. Again, I suggest a move to Westmoreland, Washington, Beaver, Armstrong, or Butler counties. Please keep the home appreciations rising in the outlying counties! Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-11-2007, 02:06 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh Suburbs
26 posts, read 123,006 times
Reputation: 22
Why is it when you post your hateful lies you never cite any legitimate sources for what you are saying?

Last edited by johnycakes; 11-11-2007 at 10:22 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2007, 07:34 AM
 
322 posts, read 242,629 times
Reputation: 24
That's it, I got to slice my wrist now...

I love how everybody on this forum always suggest sprawing out to the burbs.

How are the colleges outside of the city. Last I knew they were inside the city.

How are our parking fees highest in the country? Wow, I know they are high, but gwspa have you ever really been to another town. Do you think these problems are only in Pittsburgh? You seem to be really naive.

Your family and friends must also have never got out either. Personally, I think Pittsburgh is not nearly as bad as many east coast towns. Pittsburgh is very clean actually to say, Philly, Baltimore, Washington, areas of Chicago, LA, Buffalo, etc. I know a few areas of Pittsburgh are bad, bat that is in every city. Tell your family and friends to get out more, and look at the unique things of the burgh instead. Like our inclines, go to the mattrass factory, see the architecture in the War Streets,downtown, shadyside etc. Go to a Carnegie museum, the science center, a theater, there is so much to do. Usually it is hard to get unintelligent negative people to focus on things like this though. SO, I guess I understand.

Last edited by Stagger Lee; 11-11-2007 at 07:47 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2007, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Erie, PA
713 posts, read 1,743,166 times
Reputation: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by gswpa View Post
I am writing this because I am a realist. Unfortunately, certain citizens of Pittsburgh believe that their city is great and everything is turning around. It's not. It's actually getting worse. Property taxes and crime are high. The schools are terrible. Parking fees are the highest in the country. The high paying jobs are located in outlying counties. The city is facing a financial [SIZE=2]bankruptcy within the next few years. The population numbers are dwindling. Pittsburgh is still a Rust Belt city. [/SIZE]
(We can't even get family and friends to go to Pittsburgh when they come to visit because they think it's a slum.)

Therefore, I plead with you to move to an area outside of Allegheny county. Property taxes and crime are low. It's a quick drive to shopping and work. The public and private schools are excellent. Great colleges are located in surrounding counties. Even the Catholic church has seen greener pastures and is building new schools in Butler county and closing ones in Pittsburgh. Again, I suggest a move to Westmoreland, Washington, Beaver, Armstrong, or Butler counties. Please keep the home appreciations rising in the outlying counties! Thanks!
Remember that when many people on this forum refer to "Pittsburgh", they are referring to the entire Pittsburgh metro area, including those counties you mentioned. It's the same thing when people talk about living in "Chicago" or "St. Louis"...they most likely mean somewhere in the suburbs of those cities, not the cities themselves.

I think if you compare the city limits of Chicago and St. Louis to the city limits of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh is quite livable. Ever been to north St. Louis or south Chicago? They are warzones. High-crime areas in Pittsburgh are quite benign by comparison! Pittsburgh also has hills, trees, and natural scenery within the city limits...you won't find much of that in the inner cities elsewhere.

Yes, the city of Pittsburgh itself is bankrupt, and a majority of the citizens refuse to change the leadership, as indicated last Tuesday. This is most unfortunate, I agree.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2007, 10:52 AM
 
2,902 posts, read 9,402,608 times
Reputation: 418
Quote:
Yes, the city of Pittsburgh itself is bankrupt, and a majority of the citizens refuse to change the leadership, as indicated last Tuesday. This is most unfortunate, I agree.
I don't mean to spoil the fun cause I agree with you you guys (Stagger Lee and kpoeppel) but this statement isn't actually true.

In fact, by the end of this year they are anticipating about 100 million dollars worth of surplus in the bank (they already have about 40 million), 60% of which the mayor plans to use for infrastructure.

This will be the third year in a row Pittsburgh has had a surplus and the budget has been balanced.

Now 100 million for a city isn't all that extremely exciting, but that's a pretty darn get start for a city that WAS almost bankrupt (Pittsburgh has never officially declared a state of bankruptcy, it had never came down to that and doesn't seem like it will).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2007, 11:29 AM
 
44 posts, read 121,792 times
Reputation: 18
How about going one better? I suggest folks leave Western Pennsylvania altogether, like I did.

Let's see: I could've stayed in the Pittsburgh area and remained unemployed, or I could've moved someplace where I don't have to beg for a job. I chose the latter.

And really, as a woman, why would I stay in a region where women earn 69 cents for every dollar a man earns?

Why would I stay in an area that talks a good game about having an educated workforce, but according to the Pennsylvania Economy League, has some of the highest college tuition costs in the nation?

Why would I stay in a supposed 'high-tech' region where the educational offerings to keep myself on top of the latest in technology are nonexistent? (Does CMU offer continuing education related to technology? Nope. How about Pitt? Nope. How about any of the other four-year colleges in our region? Nope. How about our community colleges? Ha ha ha...don't make me laugh.)

If you want to have any semblance of a successful future, I urge you to leave Western Pennsylvania. You will not regret it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2007, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Erie, PA
713 posts, read 1,743,166 times
Reputation: 180
I just wish he'd use the money to pay off some of the massive debt. 25% of the budget is interest! Pittsburgh would have an even bigger surplus next year if the debt were paid down. The next year, a bigger surplus still...and so on and so forth. Imagine having 25% more money per year without raising taxes or cutting services!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2007, 11:31 AM
 
2,902 posts, read 9,402,608 times
Reputation: 418
Quote:
I just wish he'd use the money to pay off some of the massive debt. 25% of the budget is interest! Pittsburgh would have an even bigger surplus next year if the debt were paid down. The next year, a bigger surplus still...and so on and so forth. Imagine having 25% more money per year without raising taxes or cutting services!
Maybe we'll see it happen!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2007, 11:32 AM
 
2,902 posts, read 9,402,608 times
Reputation: 418
Quote:
How about going one better? I suggest folks leave Western Pennsylvania altogether, like I did.

Let's see: I could've stayed in the Pittsburgh area and remained unemployed, or I could've moved someplace where I don't have to beg for a job. I chose the latter.

And really, as a woman, why would I stay in a region where women earn 69 cents for every dollar a man earns?

Why would I stay in an area that talks a good game about having an educated workforce, but according to the Pennsylvania Economy League, has some of the highest college tuition costs in the nation?

Why would I stay in a supposed 'high-tech' region where the educational offerings to keep myself on top of the latest in technology are nonexistent? (Does CMU offer continuing education related to technology? Nope. How about Pitt? Nope. How about any of the other four-year colleges in our region? Nope. How about our community colleges? Ha ha ha...don't make me laugh.)

If you want to have any semblance of a successful future, I urge you to leave Western Pennsylvania. You will not regret it.
As vwscottie would say, don't let the door hit ya.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2007, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Erie, PA
713 posts, read 1,743,166 times
Reputation: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragglewaggle View Post

And really, as a woman, why would I stay in a region where women earn 69 cents for every dollar a man earns?
Are they working the same jobs as men? Just because that statistic exists doesn't necessarily mean women are being unfairly paid...it just might mean that more men are going into highly-paid fields.

I do agree that the economy is much better elsewhere, sad to say. I'm actually thinking of moving to Houston since their job market for mechanical engineers is excellent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top