Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 03:45 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,457,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
The only way you would catch that is if the vehicle just happens to be going through an inspection or some other repair that requires it to be on a lift, and what are the chances of that happening?
Well, that's how a PA State Inspection is supposed to be done.

Checking the ball joints, bearings, tie rods, etc is part of the inspection regimen. Brakes should also be checked not visually, but by pulling the wheels and getting a close look.

Posted with TapaTalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 03:57 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,855,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Bigger is always better. Murica'.
Exactly Yinz need big cupholders for your Big Gulps.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Look you don't live in Boulder. You live in an area that is loaded with big box stores and such. Of course you are surrounded by SUVs there. The SUV crowd is all about the big box Chinese import places and new homes. I was looking from my bicycle and there are more SUVs in Pittsburgh by far. No comparison. I should know. I was just there and I live here. Like you said, you haven't been to Pittsburgh in a long time, but that shouldn't matter. It has always been filled with big trucks/suvs. I would imagine in the country in Colorado there are a ton of pickups and SUVs though. Of course there are a ton in PA and all rural areas in the US. It is empty pickup heaven. Many are total show trucks.
Look I have lived five miles from there for 30 years and go there at least once a week. A lot of the people I work with live in Boulder. I should know what's going on there, more than you do from a brief visit. I was last in Pittsburgh in Oct. of 2010; it wasn't that long ago, hasn't even been 3 years yet.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:36 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
SUVs and well-built pickups dangerous to whom? In what way? Compared to what? Are you off your rocker? How well do you drive?

I own a diesel truck, which I freely admit I have no legitimate crying need for at present, but it's paid off, and I own it, and I like owning it. It's a 3/4T HD and it has a very solid frame. And 4WD.

I also own a RWD car that is built on a FRAME. I like frames. They hold up well in collisions.

As at least 2 people on here pointed out, men need a vehicle that's roomy enough and tall enough to seat them comfortably. I'm female so I have freedom to pick and choose, lol.

Many people who are seen driving in Pittsbugh commute there from outside the city. I live in Mercer County and there are people up here who commute daily to PB for work. Many people commute from Cranberry Twp, too. Or from Butler itself. People who live in suburbs or rural areas and commute long distances at Interstate speeds (which are officially 65 MPH but 70 is more the norm out in rural noplace) often have safety and durability in mind when they choose a vehicle. Most won't pick a Neon or a Prius, Curtis. When I evaluate a vehicle, safely and reliability are the 2 things I look at first. Operating costs are third. Fuel is what it is. I buy only larger vehicles that will hold up well in a collision.

Now, if I lived right in town, I would own a smaller car that is fits in tight spaces and is adequate for local commutes. But for long distance and highways, I bought bigger and more durable vehicles. Nobody is making tractor-trailers any smaller or lighter, are they?
Actually, this makes the most sense to me. The vast majority of the vehicles I see daily in and around residential areas of the East End are relatively small. I bought my 2013 Honda Fit primarily to be my "urban sidekick". It's a breeze to parallel park, I can easily maneuver around people in front of me who are turning left, I have limited blind spots, and I can stop on a dime. Since the East End is congested I rarely pick up enough speed to fear serious injury in an accident. I see a lot of other Honda Fits here, along with Ford Fiestas, Nissan Versas, Hyundai Elantras, Chevrolet Sonics, Toyota Corollas, Toyota Yarises, Ford Focuses, Mini Coopers, etc. We city people value ease of maneuverability, fuel efficiency, economy, etc. whereas most of the huge SUVs I see on Route 28, I-279, Route 22, etc. are being driven by suburbanites with longer commutes who prioritize safety and comfort over the environment. I do notice many more Range Rovers and Hummers in places like Fox Chapel and Peters Twp. than in the city.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:57 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,011 times
im curious, for us folks who drive "crossovers" aka not a car but not an suv, but more like a station wagon, are we hated like suv drivers?

Old 07-30-2013, 05:52 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
im curious, for us folks who drive "crossovers" aka not a car but not an suv, but more like a station wagon, are we hated like suv drivers?
By normal people, no, by people on here, yes.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:12 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,032 times
I hate all other drivers equally.

Except for drivers of European sports sedans. I hate them more.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:24 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
I hate all other drivers equally.

Except for drivers of European sports sedans. I hate them more.

I KNOW!
They are the WORST, aren't they?!?!

Old 07-30-2013, 07:08 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
Most people do not make, are not even aware of for that matter, a distinction between SUV and crossover.

So the answer would most likely be yes for those who are prone to such things.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:40 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
It is hilarious driving on a highway and getting off an exit with some moron in an SUV on my tail. They disappear from my mirror because they cannot negotiate the curve in the road, while I am in complete control.

It is a blast for me. Not so much for them of course. People will never understand that handling is the MOST important factor in safety, not how big a vehicle is. That is only good if you hit something else big like a head on. I would rather have a chance to avoid a head on myself, but you don't have much of a chance doing that in some pickup. They aren't meant for driving, they are meant for hauling things. Just rent one when you need it, unless you are in a business that require them. Then just drive slow and leave a lot of room.
Do you think people who drive SUV's/trucks morons because they exit at highway speeds (or just morons for driving something bigger than your A4)? I believe you're supposed to exit at highway speeds when possible so as to not obstruct the highway traffic by slowing down or braking on the highway.

Underlining is mine.

Didn't you just contradict yourself?

Didn't they disappear from your mirror because they're driving slow and leaving room when negotiating a curve?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh