Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 11:47 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times

Advertisements

Since we've all been discussing our rational/irrational hatred of larger vehicles in another thread I thought now might be a relevant time for a tangential thread to discuss:

a.) What type of vehicle you drive;
b.) Why you bought it;
c.) If it works well for Pittsburgh-oriented driving;
d.) If you'd recommend it to others who are considering moving here.

Occasionally we see a thread from an incoming transplant from SoCal or TX or somewhere who is freaked out by the thought of needing a tank to commandeer our hills in the snow, so having one quick and handy thread as a point of reference could be helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 11:55 AM

a.) I drive a blue raspberry 2013 Honda Fit. I bought it in mid-May 2013 at Shadyside Honda, where I endured seven hours of negotiations! My salesman, Charlie Gatewood, was awesome, although I didn't appreciate how rudely another male employee in the finance division there treated me with a lot of unnecessary background vulgarities being yelled out of his office.

b.) I bought the car because my flawed 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid literally died after around 64,000 miles, and Honda offered me a good deal on a new car if I traded it in. The reason I selected the Fit in particular was because I wanted an "urban sidekick". I live, work, and play in one of the most congested parts of the city. I parallel park at least 15 times per day, often times along busy roads such as Murray Avenue or Liberty Avenue, and need to be able to just flip on my turn signal and zoom on in without impeding the flow of cars behind me. With the ease of maneuverability and lack of blind spots I'm able to parallel park in about half the time it takes someone in a typical sedan to. I never liked the aesthetics of hatchbacks, but I must say I do like this one. I have an easier time backing out of parking spaces (even when between mammoth vehicles) than I did with my Civic.

c.) Overall I'm thrilled with most of my car's features, save for the fuel efficiency being woefully underperforming. I average 20 miles per gallon in the city, at best, and I attribute this to our hilly topography, stop-and-go traffic, unsynchronized traffic signals (wasn't CMU supposed to fix this for the city?), and my own personal leadfoot during my delivery job.

d.) I'd highly recommend a Honda Fit to anyone moving into the city proper who wants a car that's really fun to drive, easy to park, looks "hip", and has good cargo space. I don't know how "safe" I'd feel being in a collision at highway speeds, though, so this may not be ideal for suburbanites who regularly fly up and down I-279 or Route 28 or anything.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:00 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,487 times
Notice red pickup and SUV in picture lol

Old 07-30-2013, 12:02 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I bought the car because my flawed 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid literally died after around 64,000 miles...
Bull****. You messed it up on purpose. Hondas are perpetual motion machines hand-crafted by angels from Heaven. They literally have zero parasitic loss from any of their moving parts. On the 12th day, God said, "Let there be Honda," and there was Honda, and Honda was good. You're going to Hell for breaking a Honda, you ungrateful bastard.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
Notice red pickup and SUV in picture lol
There's a Prius parked facing the wrong way behind the BMW SUV behind me, though, so it kinda sorta cancels it out! LOL! The pick-up truck is a work-related one. It seems like my neighbors have all been working on renovating their homes very slowly for the 2.5 years I've lived here.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Bull****. You probably messed it up on purpose. Hondas are perpetual motion machines hand-crafted by angels from Heaven. They literally have zero parasitic loss from any of their moving parts. On the 12th day, God said, "Let there be Honda," and there was Honda, and Honda was good. You're going to Hell for breaking a Honda, you ungrateful bastard.
HA! Well, it seems like the earlier model years of the Civic Hybrid were destined to fail from the start, as many other owners complained online about faulty CVT transmissions and batteries. I did buy another Honda, though, since every other Honda owner I know raves about them in general. If this one also dies prematurely I'm going back to being a Mazda3 owner.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:05 PM

144 posts, read 224,527 times
Quote:
Since we've all been discussing our rational/irrational hatred of larger vehicles in another thread I thought now might be a relevant time for a tangential thread to discuss:

b.) Why you bought it;

Occasionally we see a thread from an incoming transplant from SoCal or TX or somewhere who is freaked out by the thought of needing a tank to commandeer our hills in the snow, so having one quick and handy thread as a point of reference could be helpful!
a.) 2011 Honda Civic.
b.) I actually bought this in northwest Florida in November 2010, not knowing that I would be back in Pittsburgh in July 2011. I wanted something that was fuel efficient, easy to maneuver, and reliable - as I was livid with my 2001 Jetta having stupid problems. The Japanese way of engineering seemed to make more sense than the German way when I looked under the hood, and the spark plugs were right there!
c.) The hills and curves around here (South Negley coming down to Fifth is like a roller coaster) prevent my car from reaching its potential in terms of fuel efficiency. That said, it's not too hard to parallel park, and it handles the ridiculous curves fine.
d.) I might have reservations recommending this to someone living in an ultra-steep area such as Greenfield, where snow and ice might give it some trouble (haven't tried it, but I want to be cautious). That said, I've driven it in snow and ice down some hills in Holiday Park and never had an incident, although I've had to switch to first gear, and I definitely felt it. If you're somewhere that's not outrageously hilly, I would recommend this to you.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:22 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,445 times
1. Make: Jeep Grand Cherokee
2. Reason: Transporting the 90lb dog that resides in my house, for hauling medium sized items for home repairs, and for winter since I live on an extremely steep cobblestone street
3. City Driving: I have never had a problem, but never really thought about it. I guess it works well in the city, as I long ago mastered parallel parking when I lived in Shadyside and South Side. As for gas milage, it is horrible. I average 12 mpg in the city. Being in Brookline, I blame it on the hills. However, I take public transportation 5 days a week so I only drive it on the weekends. Goes well in the snow the times I have had to take it out.
4. Recommend: Sure, why not. I have never had an issues, has nice cargo area, goes well in the snow. If you need a car for commuting, probably not, but outside of mpg I have had no issues.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:54 PM

165 posts, read 262,515 times
Quote:

b.) Why you bought it;
a.) 2004 Honda Civic Coupe

b.) Good gas mileage, easy to park, resonable repair costs, doesn't have giant tires, reliable brand

c.) I've literally had zero problems with this car in the 10 years since I drove it off the dealer lot. But, then again, I've only put 51,000 miles on it in those years. I rely on the T heavily.

d.) I have no reason not to.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:03 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
a. Jeep Grand Cherokee & BMW M6
b. I liked them
c. Sure, one for the winter one for the summer
d. Yes

Last edited by UKyank; 07-30-2013 at 01:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh