Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 10:53 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
He doesn't need a permit to own a gun and registration is expressly forbidden.

Pennsylvania Firearm/Gun Law

And if he was open carrying he's legal.
That open carry is pretty wild. Just saw an old classmate of mine the other day and he had a gun on his belt, just like the old wild west, except it was a modern gun. You don't see that everyday, but I guess you can just have a gun as long as it isn't hidden. Surprised we don't see that more often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
Other reports say he was shot in the neck.

Nothing good happens when you are out at 3:00 am.
Yeah, I read the neck as well. I agree, once about 1:30 and beyond hit, it is all downhill from there. I wonder what the most common time a shooting happens in our region? Probably right around that 2:00AM time, but I don't know.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:58 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's legal to openly carry some pretty intimidating firearms without a permit. The law doesn't translate in real life because people would freak out. It might fly in Texas or other areas where it's commonly done, but walking into a store with a shotgun or a semiautomatic would freak people out. We were discussing this recently and the question was raised about whether the firearm is allowed to be loaded.

Yes.

Look I realize it's going to be location dependent. I've been hassled here by my investor neighbor for taking my shotgun from my truck into the house when I come in from hunting. The "hassling" was her calling 911 and reporting that a man was threatening people with an assault rifle.

It was really funny to see the SWAT guys come tumbling down the street in their urban assault vehicle and figuring out who the "man" was (I know the entire team and liase with them during storm events).

Old 08-04-2013, 10:59 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I think most people can agree that it's not a good idea.

I imagine someone could get shot by a police officer or another person who has a firearm.

This is from the link North Beach provided:

Quote:
With that said, we would like to point out that there is much debate among firearm owners about whether openly carrying firearms is really a good idea. While we will leave that choice to the individual we will state that in many urban areas (namely Philadelphia) doing so will draw unwanted attention from law enforcement that may include (but not be limited to) the following repercussions:
1. Being stopped and questioned by law enforcement.
2. Having your License To Carry Firearms seized and sent back for revocation.
3. Being arrested either improperly or for other charges like disturbing the peace or creating a public nuisance.

Openly Carrying a Firearm/Gun in Pennsylvania

Old 08-04-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
That open carry is pretty wild. Just saw an old classmate of mine the other day and he had a gun on his belt, just like the old wild west, except it was a modern gun. You don't see that everyday, but I guess you can just have a gun as long as it isn't hidden. Surprised we don't see that more often.
You can have a hidden gun if you have a license for a concealed firearm.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:06 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
The 'O' (original hot dog shop) is as bad as any nuisance bar in the city at attracting semi regular violence yet is never called to be shut down? (That's extreme in my opinion but they at least shouldn't be allowed to be open after say 11pm without heavy security as the place becomes ghetto central late at night & this sort of thing is no surprise).

Old 08-04-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Look I realize it's going to be location dependent. I've been hassled here by my investor neighbor for taking my shotgun from my truck into the house when I come in from hunting. The "hassling" was her calling 911 and reporting that a man was threatening people with an assault rifle.
That's outrageous!

Old 08-04-2013, 11:28 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,458,964 times
Quote:
Yes.

It was really funny to see the SWAT guys come tumbling down the street in their urban assault vehicle and figuring out who the "man" was (I know the entire team and liase with them during storm events).
This neighbor ought to be charged with making a false report to the police!

If a SWAT team is sent out for a false report, that costs taxpayers money and wastes their time which hopefully didn't impact the need for them elsewhere.

Makes a false report to police is a pretty serious crime.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-04-2013, 11:34 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
That's outrageous!
Yeah. She's a pain in the ass. Claims she has trouble renting out her house because I have too many trees and flower gardens (her yard is a fescue desert) and the chain link fence is off putting (turned out when I had a survey done that the fence is hers. She's not so hot to have it replaced now as when she thought it was mine. Which is ok, she'd just replace it with vinyl. Like she covered up the original German shiplap siding on the house with plastic. It's a 100+ year old house.).

I made her cry a couple years ago at an election forum. She submitted a question about "neighborliness" and I pointed out that "neighborliness" doesn't mean filing false police reports (the incident had just happened a few weeks earlier).

Although she doesn't live in the Town, just owns property, she's now on a crusade to get rid of backyard horseshoe pits and limit the number of cars people can own and park in town. That's partly because I have somewhat of a "fleet".

Enough thread highjacking.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
That's outrageous!
And not believable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh