Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 07:59 PM

480 posts, read 611,575 times

Advertisements

Better-Maid in Elliott is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 09:28 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,007,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Moio's is an Italian bakery. Read the bottom item: Moio's Italian Pastry Shop :: FAQ Good cannoli though. I dunno if the other stuff is anything truly special or not.
I was just asking generally, not looking for donuts specifically (fresh Krispy Kreme is good enough for me, anything better than stale factory donuts.) Donuts are pretty meh compared to other pastries in the world.

They certainly have personality, judging by their FAQ.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:10 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Oakmont Bakery? Might as well go to Giant Eagle to be honest. It is ALL premixed package stuff. Please stop telling people to go to a place that puts PUDDING in cream puffs and eclairs. PUDDING!!!! That place is the biggest smoke and mirror place I have ever encountered. Go to the French bakery in Millvale or Lawrenceville and stay clear Oakmont Bakery. I really don't get why people think it is good? It is the same stuff as Giant Eagle at an even greater price. Hello?
You rant about this and artificial flavors in ice cream, yet go to bat for Tim Horton's coffee? I'm sorry, that's just really funny.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:59 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
You rant about this and artificial flavors in ice cream, yet go to bat for Tim Horton's coffee? I'm sorry, that's just really funny.
LOL

But no, you're missing the point as usual! Or something....

Old 08-09-2013, 05:23 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
Have you ever been to Moio's in Monroeville? I haven't, but I've seen people talking it up to high heavens elsewhere.
Yes, I have been there. It is a bit of a hit and miss place as far as products go. They have real cream puffs and eclairs, but they have some really odd stuff as well with wild food coloring. It is better than Oakmont Bakery, but I wouldn't go out of my way. I would go out of my way for both French Bakeries mentioned in this thread. Those are bakeries that bake from scratch and aren't just putting some mix in a bowl and adding water and calling themselves a bakery. One thing for sure though, Oakmont Bakery no doubt makes the most money. Pudding in an eclair. I wish they weren't allowed to call that an eclair.

Evergrey, I don't know of a really good donut shop. I don't think our region has great donuts that are still warm and taste great.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:31 AM
gg

Quote:
So you are going to compare grinding beans and throwing some hot water over it to creating ice cream or the art of baking from scratch? I can tell you have never made ice cream and certainly never baked. Sorry, but coffee is about as simple as it gets. I have a french press and good beans. Wow, tough. Tim Hortons has a good price for coffee and it is good enough for me. I would consider going there if it was close because the price point. As far as really good coffee goes, I would say the Coffee Tree's lighter roasts would be my favorite in the area. For every day stuff, I would go with Trader Joe's Breakfast Blend or Wakeup Blend. Fair Trade and good taste. Not a fan of burnt coffee. It has less caffeine and taste burnt to me. Hope you can understand better now that I tried to school you along a bit.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:15 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
So you are going to compare grinding beans and throwing some hot water over it to creating ice cream or the art of baking from scratch? I can tell you have never made ice cream and certainly never baked. Sorry, but coffee is about as simple as it gets. I have a french press and good beans. Wow, tough. Tim Hortons has a good price for coffee and it is good enough for me. I would consider going there if it was close because the price point. As far as really good coffee goes, I would say the Coffee Tree's lighter roasts would be my favorite in the area. For every day stuff, I would go with Trader Joe's Breakfast Blend or Wakeup Blend. Fair Trade and good taste. Not a fan of burnt coffee. It has less caffeine and taste burnt to me. Hope you can understand better now that I tried to school you along a bit.
Wow. I mean, just wow.

You have no clue about coffee, just admit it. You wouldn't know good coffee. Trader Joe's? LOL The reality is you are no different than the people you claim have no clue about good baking or ice cream.

Admitting Tim Horton's is good enough for you is NO DIFFERENT than anyone admitting Oakmont Bakery is good enough for them. None. You just don't have a taste for good coffee.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:23 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Thanks for the schooling on coffee and baking. You made my morning.

I'll give you credit for going for lighter roasts though. It's a start.

FWIW, I personally don't favor air roasting (CoffeeTree, TJs). Although roasting on a Sivetz provides uniformity, IMO, the speed of the process compromises mid-stage roast development (Maillard reaction/Strecker degradation) and does not really allow for controlled prolonging of end stage development, which is key to retarding bitter/grassy flavor components while highlighting acidity/origin flavors. Sivetz/air roasting is fine for mid-level beans where you're not looking to highlight specific origin/varietal characteristics of super-premium greens and it's great for fast roasting in high-volume environments. I much prefer a drum roaster with manual controls. YMMV.

And hey, I bake too :-)

Last edited by sskink; 08-09-2013 at 07:10 AM..

Old 08-09-2013, 06:49 AM
gg

Quote:
Thanks for the schooling on coffee and baking.
You're welcome. To compare the art of baking to making coffee was pretty funny. Goodness, great beans, the correct temperature and time is really all it takes.

Anyway, back on topic. As I stated, Tim Horton's is better than most for the value. I probably won't ever go there, but if I am on a road trip, and see one, I would stop in for a to-go coffee. I think that is the places idea more. Fast food/coffee place. Funny how people are trying to make it out to be some sit down dinning experience. Kind of laughable, but I digress.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:17 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,855,823 times
Yinz need to try civet coffee an get back to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh