Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 06:53 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Do hybrids and/or electric vehicles have a certain maximum speed that they can't exceed? I'm just curious since I was following a Chevy Volt yesterday that was doing literally 20 miles per hour from Shadyside all the way to Highland Park from Bellefonte Street to Ellsworth Avenue and then up Negley. Similarly, whenever I'm stuck behind a line of traffic in the left-hand lane on the Parkway it's usually a Prius driver causing the delay. If these alternative fuel vehicles can't keep up with the pace of traffic due to poor design, then why would anyone want to pay a premium to endanger themselves?
No, it's probably the driver trying to, well, no, not in a Volt, that is always electric up until the battery goes dead and the engine comes on (around 40 mile range without engine). I guess they could be hoping to not have to use any gas and keep the entire trip electric. Slow speed in a Prius I would think they are trying to keep the engine from firing up which it does pretty much no matter what after you exceed about 20-25 mph. I know because I have a current 2013 model as a rental right now. I just drove it several hundred miles on a highway. And I hope everyone went WTF when a Prius blew by them or kept up with them going 85 at times or whatever else. Seriously, I never felt it was underpowered for acceleration and I averaged at least 44-45 mpg (on board computer is telling me 48) with a lead foot. It was helped by some slowdowns but still, impressive. Normally with the same sort of driving I get about 30 mpg in a similar sized car.

Maybe used Prius is what I want to buy next time. Got to give it a better test on a few twisty roads though. It doesn't have to handle like a sports car, just has to handle well enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 09:06 PM

106 posts, read 218,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
Wife and I aren't specifically in the market for a second vehicle yet, but my 2000 pontiac isn't getting any younger. We have an opportunity to get one of the following new at around 13k (half of the listed price) with the intention of strictly using it as day to day around town vehicle. There are a few filling stations around the area (one located directly across the river in the strip district from where we live in Troy Hill) so finding fuel shouldn't be too difficult. Was wondering what the board thought of potentially owning one of these before we make a decision.

2012 Honda Civic Natural Gas: New Car Review - AutoTrader.com
I drive a CNG car from time to time. There's no noticeable difference in performance from gasoline. My understanding is the engines are not really that different, just the fuel injection changes. Still, I'm sure the limited expertise of mechanics would make these vehicles more expensive to repair. Sounds like a pretty good deal if the car is new. It is a little unnerving with the lack of infrastructure to refill, but that problem is currently being remedied. I'd say go for it but keep it local or plan your refuel route carefully.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:51 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong477 View Post
At half price and as a second vehicle with a reasonably nearby filling station, sure.

I wouldn't even think of touching it at around list price though, at least in 2013.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
As for the OPs question, I would def buy one at 13k brand new, but only if I were sufficiently confident that maintenance and repairs would be possible and not prohibitively expensive. An at home fueling solution would make it even more viable, assuming the price of that system was under $5k.

This is all presuming a second vehicle. I would personally not own one as my primary at this time due to refueling limitations.
I'll echo these statements. Only at half price and only as a second vehicle. The repair costs would be too high for it to be a main vehicle. It wouldn't be practical for a main vehicle since there are few places to refuel and I like going on road trips.

I'm not worried about it from a technology standpoint. Equitable Gas's trucks all run on natural gas.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:26 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
No, it's probably the driver trying to, well, no, not in a Volt, that is always electric up until the battery goes dead and the engine comes on (around 40 mile range without engine). I guess they could be hoping to not have to use any gas and keep the entire trip electric.
The Volt is always electric. The gas motor comes on only to recharge the battery; there's no direct mechanical connection from the gas motor to the drive wheels. The gas motor recharges the battery, which powers the electric motor.

Still and all, it could have been a driver trying to see how much range s/he could get before the battery ran down and the gas motor kicked in.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:01 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
I would buy a natural gas car so I could cover it in OBX and Sunoco stickers and then make left turns cutting people off at intersections.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:10 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I would buy a natural gas car so I could cover it in OBX and Sunoco stickers and then make left turns cutting people off at intersections.
Don't forget the little stick figure family stickers on the rear windshield!

Old 08-20-2013, 07:55 PM

8 posts, read 14,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Do hybrids and/or electric vehicles have a certain maximum speed that they can't exceed? I'm just curious since I was following a Chevy Volt yesterday that was doing literally 20 miles per hour from Shadyside all the way to Highland Park from Bellefonte Street to Ellsworth Avenue and then up Negley. Similarly, whenever I'm stuck behind a line of traffic in the left-hand lane on the Parkway it's usually a Prius driver causing the delay. If these alternative fuel vehicles can't keep up with the pace of traffic due to poor design, then why would anyone want to pay a premium to endanger themselves?
I just bought a Prius last week, and caught myself unknowingly going 84 MPH on the way to work this morning. (I confess, I have a lead foot. I drive a Prius the same way I drive a supercharged sports car, ha ha.) So, it's definitely not a car issue. I think a lot of Prius drivers just try to eek out every little extra MPG that they can by driving extra conservatively.

On the subject of natural gas cars, I would have definitely considered one since I have a long commute for work, but I've never seen a natural gas pump in my area of Westmoreland county.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:11 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
You'd have to take a natural gas vehicle to the dealer for any service, I can't see these local guys being able to handle it yet because its so novel.

That really cuts down on both the economy as well as convenience of this car.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:19 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,585,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Yeah what's the deal with the Sunoco stickers? Have never understood the presence of those.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:21 AM

831 posts, read 878,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
Yeah what's the deal with the Sunoco stickers? Have never understood the presence of those.
I think there was (is?) a contest that Sunoco had where you had a chance to win free gas for a year or something if you were spotted with one of those and you were picked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: