Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 07:54 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Nowhere did I say that foreign aid is directly stopping a new New Deal, but to say that isn't a factor in a myriad of government spending that could be used at home is silly.
It's exactly what you said in #3.

Quote:
The only thing that would come close to solving the problem would be a new "New Deal". But that's not going to happen any time soon because countries like Isreal need billions in "aid".
I speak English very well. That said, I don't know what "Willy P" is and I'm afraid to google it because I'm at the office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 07:57 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Just have to raise the gas tax. Considering the base cost of gas, raising it even 25 cents wouldn't be that noticeable.
I don't know why Gov. Corbett is so terrified of raising taxes. His approval numbers are already in the toilet, and those will probably further drop as he continues to speak out against same-sex marriage. Would I rather pay an extra $0.25/gallon of gasoline or die along with hundreds of others as the structurally-deficient Liberty Bridge collapses at rush-hour?

Old 08-08-2013, 07:57 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
It's exactly what you said in #3.

I speak English very well. That said, I don't know what "Willy P" is and I'm afraid to google it because I'm at the office.
Nowhere does that quote say that foreign aid is directly stopping a New Deal. Grasping for straws isn't helping your case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I don't know why Gov. Corbett is so terrified of raising taxes. His approval numbers are already in the toilet, and those will probably further drop as he continues to speak out against same-sex marriage. Would I rather pay an extra $0.25/gallon of gasoline or die along with hundreds of others as the structurally-deficient Liberty Bridge collapses at rush-hour?
People don't want to see raises in taxes for obvious reasons. One of the reasons is that people would be more accepting of government trimming the fat to acquire more funds rather than citizens shelling out even more money to fund corruption. But as we know government is big business, and business is always booming. Cutting the bloat isn't in their agenda.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Just have to raise the gas tax. Considering the base cost of gas, raising it even 25 cents wouldn't be that noticeable.

In addition to fixing up the existing infrastructure...complete the Mon-Fay and even make it into a complete beltway. Pittsburgh has its colored pseudo-beltways but it could use a high speed one.

I agree, except about the Mon-Fay and the beltway (which are too expensive for what benefits they would provide). They could have set the tax so that it kicked in when the price of oil dropped, so the tax increase offset the dropping price of oil leaving the price of gas constant (at least until the price of oil rose again).

Old 08-08-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Nowhere does that quote say that foreign aid is directly stopping a New Deal. Grasping for straws isn't helping your case.
You should maybe look up "because" in the dictionary.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:03 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
People don't want to see raises in taxes for obvious reasons. One of the reasons is that people would be more accepting of government trimming the fat to acquire more funds rather than citizens shelling out even more money to fund corruption. But as we know government is big business, and business is always booming. Cutting the bloat isn't in their agenda.
Great. During this epic stalemate of "don't raise our taxes until more waste is cut" vs. "no more can be cut so we need to raise your taxes" a bridge will collapse. Those shocking images of dozens of vehicles tossed around like Matchbox cars in Downtown Minneapolis several years ago are still burned into my mind.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:14 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
You should maybe look up "because" in the dictionary.

Quote:
Great. During this epic stalemate of "don't raise our taxes until more waste is cut" vs. "no more can be cut so we need to raise your taxes" a bridge will collapse. Those shocking images of dozens of vehicles tossed around like Matchbox cars in Downtown Minneapolis several years ago are still burned into my mind.
You may be right, political division always gets in the way of progress. Unfortunately this time the old budget talks might involve some lives. If people knew they were driving over bridges built in the 20's they might have a different perspective, who knows.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:23 AM

Sometimes people say things differently in their own head than they write out. Maybe that's what happened here? There is literally no other way to read those two sentences.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:32 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,920 times
Quote:
I don't really like Corbett that much and think he has done a terrible job, but he has tried to increase the gas tax and repair the roads/infrastructure several times during his reign. He also proposed to raise the Oil Company Franchise tax, which is an indirect tax increase for consumers because it raises taxes for distributors so in turn they raise the price of gasoline in the state. In reality Corbett has raised taxes on natural gas by taxing the drillers and he has proposed raising the gasoline tax. It is kind of a sneaky way of doing things, because everybody pays more, but he didn't "raise taxes" on Pennsylvanians.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:45 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:

In addition to fixing up the existing infrastructure...complete the Mon-Fay and even make it into a complete beltway. Pittsburgh has its colored pseudo-beltways but it could use a high speed one.
I don't see how wasting precious dollars on senseless projects is going to improve the situation, it's just more of the same. for waht? to be more like atlanta which ranks dead last in social mobility?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh