Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 02:57 PM

4 posts, read 5,644 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I recently got a job in Pittsburgh in July and I'm looking for somewhere to rent for a few years until my fiance and I can save up enough to look into a more permanent residence. I'm looking to stay on the South Side (if possible) and within 20-30 minutes of the city. I'm not a native to the area so I don't have much of an idea of which areas/complexes are good and which to avoid. I'm looking to stay under $700/month for rent.

I've researched a bit the last month and a lot of the places I've seen have had bad reviews (bugs, crime, etc). I take reviews on sites with a grain of salt as it may be just a disgruntled person, and it doesn't accurately reflect the place. If anyone has any input on nice, affordable areas/townships or which areas/complexes to avoid, I would really appreciate it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 04:08 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,217,224 times
$700 is a pretty tight budget for the South Side, although I guess its doable if you don't care about a modern apartment and don't mind struggling for a parking space.

Depends really on where you'll be working as to whether the South Side is the best and most convenient place for you.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:35 PM

14,361 posts, read 16,913,714 times
Do you mean South Side as the city neighborhood, or "South Side" meaning any area to the south of Pittsburgh, including the suburbs?

Old 08-09-2013, 05:01 PM

22,332 posts, read 47,298,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scitron View Post
I'm looking to stay on the South Side (if possible) and within 20-30 minutes of the city.

The OP does need to clarify as that 30 minute commute CAN include the areas south of Pittsburgh.
South Side is much closer!

Old 08-09-2013, 07:08 PM

Sorry to be vague. I'm looking at something south of Pittsburgh including the suburbs. I use the term south side as a general direction in relation to the city itself. I've been looking in the Butler, Bethel Park, Mt. Lebanon, Greentree areas if that helps at all.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
$700 is a pretty tight budget for the South Side, although I guess its doable if you don't care about a modern apartment and don't mind struggling for a parking space.

Depends really on where you'll be working as to whether the South Side is the best and most convenient place for you.
I'm working by PNC park, which doesn't make the south side a necessity, but my fiance works in greentree, which is why we're looking south of Pittsburgh.

I know 700 is a tight budget...damn student loans. I could probably afford 800 as my max, but I'm trying to leave room for utilities. I've found some apartments and houses for rent, but I'm not familiar with the areas as to which neighborhoods are good/bad and if any place has a reputation that I'm not aware of.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:24 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,217,224 times
Quote:
I'm working by PNC park, which doesn't make the south side a necessity, but my fiance works in greentree, which is why we're looking south of Pittsburgh.

I know 700 is a tight budget...damn student loans. I could probably afford 800 as my max, but I'm trying to leave room for utilities. I've found some apartments and houses for rent, but I'm not familiar with the areas as to which neighborhoods are good/bad and if any place has a reputation that I'm not aware of.

To the north side and Greentree, I think the easiest commute would be from points north or northwest.

Bellevue, Avalon and Brighton Heights all have a lot of rentals up that way. It would be real easy for you to make it to the lower North Side and for the fiancé doing the West End Bridge and West End Bypass to Greentree is not that bad at all as it would be counter to most of the traffic a bit of a reverse commute.

Apartment complexes more directly north, Village in the Park and the Cascades would be easy commutes as well. Cascades on Cemetery Lane is real close to I 279. A friend of mine lived in and liked the Village in Park off of Marshall Ave.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:50 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,356,175 times
Dormont sounds ideal. You could ride the "T" (light rail) from Dormont right to the North Shore and then have a 5-minute walk to work. Maybe a half-hour or so altogether. The portion of the "T" between Downtown and the North Shore is free, too. Dormont to Green Tree wouldn't be a bad commute at all. 10-15 minutes, tops, including traffic. You can certainly find rentals there for under $700/month, and you'd avoid paying the city wage tax.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:34 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,739,078 times
Quote:
Sorry to be vague. I'm looking at something south of Pittsburgh including the suburbs. I use the term south side as a general direction in relation to the city itself. I've been looking in the Butler, Bethel Park, Mt. Lebanon, Greentree areas if that helps at all.
You mean South Hills when referring to the southern suburbs.

Butler is north. If you mean the town of Butler, that commute is more than 30 minutes. If you mean the county of Butler, Cranberry is your closest option but will be over 30 minutes half the time.

Does it have to be an apartment complex? Will you consider small buildings owned by independent landlords?

Old 08-10-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You mean South Hills when referring to the southern suburbs.

Butler is north. If you mean the town of Butler, that commute is more than 30 minutes. If you mean the county of Butler, Cranberry is your closest option but will be over 30 minutes half the time.

Does it have to be an apartment complex? Will you consider small buildings owned by independent landlords?
Sorry, I keep confusing Butler and Baldwin. I meant Baldwin. Butler is a bit too far north. It doesn't have to be an apartment. I've come across some townhouses and single houses for rent. I'm just trying to avoid sketchy areas and shady business practices as I've heard those are usually two common problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh