Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 06:24 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times

Advertisements

I doubt most Pittsburghers have ever met a Latino.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:27 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
I am so sorry that happened to you.
Please don't paint the whole area with a broad brush just because of one fool.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:32 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
I doubt most Pittsburghers have ever met a Latino.

Probably not in person, you're right.

But the common people here in Pittsburgh always gave a lot of love to the Great One, Roberto Clemente, back in the day.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:34 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
i realized i was the only smoker outside today at social at bakery square. i overheard a white woman say im hispanic and basically say im an inferior human being. aftr 15 mins of hearing, and done smoking away from families with kids, i walked up and asked her why she felt hispanics wee inferior human beings.

needless to say she proved my point about pittsburgh: white people and black people dont accept latinos. we're an inferior race, which shocked me. i told her i accept her view, however i asked what masters degree she held. none, which im not surprised. i told her i busted my f'n ass t get into pitt, paying my own damn way and would be getting my bs at pitt.

im saddened by the racism displayed in pgh for latinos. never EVER in my life have i felt such discontent, i assumed it would be something to expect in the deep south, but in the north?!?!?!

i let it slide but goodluck gtting more latinos in here. blacks and white hate us, for no god given reason. those who like me i appreciate, like the employees of social, but the patrons, or at least some, make me question how latinos in pittsburgh are treated.
I'm not surprized you had this happen to you... If I went around repeating all the rasict things I've overheard Yinzers and affluent whites say about blacks I'd probably get a brick thrown at my window; however, it still doesn't reflect the majority of whites in this county. Though could you please share your negative experience(s) with blacks...

I will tell you right now... Blacks and Hispanics got no beef in this city; it's not Los Angeles County where Hispanic and African-American street gangs shoot random youth of the opposite race. As a result of peace in the streets, there truely is no reason for animosity or prejudice between the average black and Hispanic person. If anything the Pittsburgh African-American & Hispanic/Latino race relation is like New York (just with a ratio of more Blacks and far fewer Hispanics).
Blacks here have no reason not to respect the struggle/prejudice that the average Hispanic person has to also face. Check city data's interactive Census data map, and you will find that a fair percentage of our area's low income-working class Hispanic population live along side African-Anericans in neighborhoods such as Central Wilkinsburg/the East End hoods, Clairton, and Southern Knoxville.

I've literally seen what looks like Hispanic children playing with black and white children from McKees Rocks/Beechview to Monroeville/Pitcairn... Most whites in this city aren't rasict, and are very respectful to people of color. Don't let a few rasict/ignorant people ruin your few of Pittsburgh. I'm black and the black verson of your scenerio replays itself in my life at least 10 times a year, but that doesn't mean I hold the white population of Allegheny County responsible for a few's ignorant views and actions. Pittsburgh is notably old fasioned, and relatively segregated, but Blacks & Hispanics face the same problems in every other major city in America. Racism isn't a Pittsburgh thing, its an America thing...

What your dealing with is a city where Hispanics are less than 3% of the population. In most neighborhoods the average non-Hispanic person doesn't have the opertunity to get to know or even expect to have a visual encounter with a Hispanic person on the street. Shoot, half of the Mad Mex's/Chipolte's don't even have Mexican employees.

I've been in your shoes before, admittedly to a lesser degree (as in for a week in Iowa). You gotta seek out an outlet... My advise if your feeling any type of loneliness- is that you should seek out the Mexican/Puerto Rican community, as there is one. I can't tell you where to go, but I lnow for a fact that there are Hispanic/Latino (mainly Mexican or Puerto Rican) organized barber shops, events, social groups, and other niches out there.

Last edited by Uptown kid; 08-10-2013 at 07:05 AM..

Old 08-10-2013, 06:40 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Quote:
i realized i was the only smoker outside today at social at bakery square. i overheard a white woman say im hispanic and basically say im an inferior human being. aftr 15 mins of hearing, and done smoking away from families with kids, i walked up and asked her why she felt hispanics wee inferior human beings.

needless to say she proved my point about pittsburgh: white people and black people dont accept latinos. we're an inferior race, which shocked me. i told her i accept her view, however i asked what masters degree she held. none, which im not surprised. i told her i busted my f'n ass t get into pitt, paying my own damn way and would be getting my bs at pitt.

im saddened by the racism displayed in pgh for latinos. never EVER in my life have i felt such discontent, i assumed it would be something to expect in the deep south, but in the north?!?!?!

i let it slide but goodluck gtting more latinos in here. blacks and white hate us, for no god given reason. those who like me i appreciate, like the employees of social, but the patrons, or at least some, make me question how latinos in pittsburgh are treated.
Your first mistake was approaching this fool and attempting to educate them...You can't- some people are what they are- You had better realize that the average IQ of the average person on earth is about 100 points..we are NOT all equal as we have been taught in this liberal democracy.

NEVER - interact with stupidity - stupid and evil are kin. I don't have a problem with intelligent people...as for those who are less intelligent- You have to use your good judgement and realize that you can not get through to them...be polite - be kind - and shut your mouth. When I was younger I made the mistake of speaking my mind with everybody- Everybody will NOT understand. YOU are an individual who is unique. Forget about race- do not let race drag you down- You are wasting valuable real estate in your mind even thinking of it.........be with your own tribe - the bright.

\A racial chip on a human beings shoulder will weight them down and have them walk in circles- move forward.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:59 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:

Did you consider that this incident was probably because you were smoking and not because you are Latino? I'll bet the comment about being Hispanic incidental to her being critical of your smoking. People are becoming less and less tolerant of smokers. On the other hand, I am seeing more Mexican farm workers at the local Walmart and have never heard a negative comment about them. And this is an area where there are much fewer Hispanics than the City of Pittsburgh.

The best thing to do is not let it bother you and never get confrontational. It doesn't solve anything.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:20 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,348,360 times
Quote:

Don't let her ignorance bother you. You are making something of yourself which I would have a hard time believing she is doing the same. Ignorance like that is not really prevalent outside of a few individuals. Anyways I wish you the best of luck and hope that this type of incident doesn't occur again

Old 08-10-2013, 08:55 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,423 times
I love the hypocritical reactions on this thread. Of few days ago I was lambasted for expressing my disgust at yet another black on white crime that continues to plague this region. Most reactions were "how dare you judge a people by the actions of a few". Well, tell me what is different in this case? This woman trashed the entire white population based on what she allegedly overhead.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:09 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,665 times
Quote:

Ya know where else has a lot of apparent racist tendencies...parts of Boston. And it's supposed to be a big liberal northeast mecca. Point is, it doesn't matter where you go, it can happen anywhere.

That doesn't excuse what happened to you. If it played out the way you say it did, she was an uneducated moron. Time will weed those folks out. As a gay man, I applaud you for confronting her. I have a big mouth, so anyone who dares throw a comment in my direction will get called out on the carpet as well. Maybe it's on a case by case basis but I can safely say the only time I have had to confront someone because they were making obvious comments in regards to my sexuality was not even in Pittsburgh. It was in Natrona Heights (shocker). I then proceeded to embarrass the gentleman and his "bro" in front of the entire "bar" section of Eat 'N Park. I talked VERY loudly and made sure EVERYONE knew what was going on. People like that are FAR too insecure to accept attention from a group. They're "cool" with their "buddy" but once they're exposed, they clam up like the coward they are.

Hang in there and don't let this sour you. I hate to say it, 2013 or not, it can and will happen anywhere. It's just luck of the draw.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:30 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,799,509 times
Quote:

Quote:
No but I noticed how locals treat me vs folks who come from other places where latinos are a larger number. I feel there's a hole in communications between the races here but I feel from what I've dealt with, a more discontent with latinos.
It's not you Pittsburghers are just sort of prejudice in general. They don't even like a lot of other white people if they're not from Pittsburgh. Some don't even like people in a different neighborhood across one of the rivers. In the rural areas racism against blacks is prevalent but many Pittsburghers also hate people from WV and OH too even though those areas are extremely close. It's honestly not just a race thing it's just more noticeable and easy to pinpoint when it's related to that. Also yes you have to realize many Pittsburghers have never been out of the neighborhood they grew up in. I know one guy that lives in the North Hills that only goes to work and then drives back to his small neighborhood...that's all he has done pretty much his whole life he's never even been on a plane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh