Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 06:34 PM

419 posts, read 551,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
I wonder if zman63 and pghdude28 are the same person? There so much commonality in their miserable comments and themes.

And dude, real men and women run in the rain. I just did .... and saw at least 10 others in Schenley Park. It was fun. And muddy.
Lol you can't stomach someone else's opinions backed up by FACTS, so you resort to condescending remarks. Real men and women? I run in all types of weather conditions, but the rain is getting old. I've ran on days that were very hot and humid, very windy, below freezing temps, and rain (summertime and freezing rain). Here's another fact.... Pittsburgh is very overcast and very damp the majority of the year. Stats back it up. Pittsburgh hasnt expanded as much as other cities in terms of job growth, another fact. Of course you can't control the climate (which absolutely sucks IMO), but you can do something about jobs. And infrastructure. Yeah, jobs and infrastructure are problems in every city... But this is the PITTSBURGH forum. I don't care about Detroit. People on here keep advertising Pgh as some sort of Mecca.... It's not a bad place to live, but my God it ain't heaven!

Btw, I think gortonator and gnutella are the same person with his/her complete and utter blindness to any flaws about Pittsburgh. There's nothing wrong with this city at all. They cannot fanthom anyone finding the burgh as anything less than stellar. They are not open to opinions. If you disagree, you are a troll!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 06:57 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
One of the biggest disadvantages Pittsburgh has is the lack of transportation out of PIT. If you are in the NYC area, the world is your oyster. PIT? OUCH! These are big international companies and really have no business in Pittsburgh anymore. People need to move around and get places. It is really hard to do because our airport is a dead zone. It is what it is. I don't think it is some huge deal though. We have U of Pitt and.... well the U of Pitt. Hope we can keep PNC, but time will tell. Heinz has been sold off, so that is a question mark for our future. I still think little companies can do well here though.
I am in favor of encouraging college grads and young people to start new businesses here and diversify the economy. This is what will save Pittsburgh and turn it around. IMO it would work much better for Pittsburgh if it had hundreds of small companies that employ 10-20 people each rather than one big corporate headquarters.

On that note I think it is very important to retain the corporate headquarters we currently have. The unfortunately reality with that is what you mentioned. Pit airport is a dead zone.

What worries me is how long UPMC is going to be able to sustain 58,000 employees and keep all of their hospitals open with the new health care law and Highmark purchasing West Penn AGH.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:09 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post

Btw, I think gortonator and gnutella are the same person with his/her complete and utter blindness to any flaws about Pittsburgh. There's nothing wrong with this city at all. They cannot fanthom anyone finding the burgh as anything less than stellar. They are not open to opinions. If you disagree, you are a troll!!!
Everywhere has strengths and weaknesses. Pittsburgh is no different. You'll find out when you leave the region for the first time

Still next year you're moving? Jan 1st is next year, I believe ... but why wait that long???

Old 08-11-2013, 07:14 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
I am in favor of encouraging college grads and young people to start new businesses here and diversify the economy. This is what will save Pittsburgh and turn it around. IMO it would work much better for Pittsburgh if it had hundreds of small companies that employ 10-20 people each rather than one big corporate headquarters.

On that note I think it is very important to retain the corporate headquarters we currently have. The unfortunately reality with that is what you mentioned. Pit airport is a dead zone.

What worries me is how long UPMC is going to be able to sustain 58,000 employees and keep all of their hospitals open with the new health care law and Highmark purchasing West Penn AGH.
ok - I take it back. This is far too reasonable to be pghdude28.

In the hi-tech area, there's quite a few startups locally that are building a good reputation. I also know quite a few local Googlers, and they love working here. There's lots of innovation which is promising for the future.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:

In the hi-tech area, there's quite a few startups locally that are building a good reputation. I also know quite a few local Googlers, and they love working here. There's lots of innovation which is promising for the future.
Aquion Energy is a good example of what you mention. We need a few hundred more like it to turn this region around.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:39 PM

419 posts, read 551,839 times
Quote:
I agree with him. I never said I wanted Pittsburgh to fail.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:17 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
The lack of investment here is troubling. They cut 300 jobs from the workforce. They don't even think Pittsburgh is wonderful enough to make a stop here during their 150 year anniversary tour. By them not stopping here speaks volumes about what they think of the region and the possible long term future in Pittsburgh.

Lets just bury our head in the sand and tell ourselves how great Pittsburgh is. Pittsburgh is becoming more irrelevant outside of western pa.

I can't wait to see what Heinz and US Steel do next...... Stay tuned.....
Bayer is a German and an international company, and Pittsburgh doesn't have flights to Germany.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Bayer is a German and an international company, and Pittsburgh doesn't have flights to Germany.
Pittsburgh had direct flights until 2004 to Frankfurt Germany. USAirways cut the flight.

US Airways cuts more Pittsburgh flights - Greensboro - The Business Journal

Pittsburgh once had 500 daily flights 110 direct destinations that USAirways served on its own. USAirways in 2013 now has 43 flights a day. The airport with all airlines combined has 38 direct destinations served.

Dismantling Pittsburgh: Death of an airline hub - USATODAY.com

Old 08-11-2013, 09:59 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,803 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh had direct flights until 2004 to Frankfurt Germany. USAirways cut the flight.

US Airways cuts more Pittsburgh flights - Greensboro - The Business Journal

Pittsburgh once had 500 daily flights 110 direct destinations that USAirways served on its own. USAirways in 2013 now has 43 flights a day. The airport with all airlines combined has 38 direct destinations served.

Dismantling Pittsburgh: Death of an airline hub - USATODAY.com
Your threads and post have just gotten to be obnoxious. You're posting articles, sure, but they're ALL negative. Like energy attracts like energy. You do nothing but focus on ALL negative, therefore, that's all you see. For every 5 negative bits of information you post, post one positive one.

If I viewed Pittsburgh or my life as you do, I'd be absolutely screwed. All I see coming out of you is complete doom and gloom. You take an article and sensationalize it to mean, "Oh my goodness, it's all over, SHUT THIS CITY DOWN." You mean there's a negative aspect to Pittsburgh? Companies DO in fact leave from time to time? Transportation isn't perfect? My goodness...I'm SELLING MY HOUSE TOMORROW and moving to the promise land because I'm SURE other American cities do NOT have these problems!

Old 08-11-2013, 10:00 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
I agree with him. I never said I wanted Pittsburgh to fail.
That's because you're his twin or the same person. Wherever you go, he goes. Get creative--have the two accounts get into an argument or something cute!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh