U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 02:20 PM

12,390 posts, read 6,559,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
Interesting link - thx. I've ridden that trail many times. The extracted quote below is illuminating and exactly what virtually every cyclist i know does (except the idiots who don't slow down):

"Poor bicyclist compliance with STOP
signs at path‐roadway intersections is well documented. Bicyclists tend to operate as though there are
YIELD signs at these locations: they slow down as they approach the intersection, look for oncoming
traffic, and proceed with the crossing if it is safe to do so. Yield control (either for vehicular traffic on
the roadway or for users on the pathway) can therefore be an effective solution at some midblock
crossings, as it encourages caution without being overly restrictive"

I never thought I'd type this, but Idaho has laws everyone should adopt
I agree, this kind of law should be adopted here. I also agree, that the layout of the bike trail at the Waterfront is quite poor.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 02:41 PM

102 posts, read 186,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveKendall View Post
Don't forget the pedestrians. They don't follow traffic laws either.
Those driving a car and bicyclists are pedastrians as well, just using different forms.

I'm not against stuff like this happening, obviously people should obey traffic stops.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:44 PM

4,359 posts, read 6,965,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grep View Post
Right.

I think we're getting carried away into a general discussion about stop signs, when this issue is really about a specific set of extremely idiosyncratic trail stop signs. Consider the trail stop signs that pepper the GAP from Boston, PA heading towards Washington DC: I've never seen anyone come to a full stop at any of these in the absence of a car in the vicinity, yet I've never heard a single complaint about this behavior-- because (to me at least), they're not "real" stop signs: they're diminutive in size; they don't apply to a road; and they're usually placed where the trail is crossing a driveway or some manner of private or extremely low use, non-through road.

I think one very interesting question that no one seems to know the answer to is: are those actually legal stop signs that point towards bicyclists on the trail/sidewalk hybrid along W Waterfront Dr? Here's an interesting post about trail stop signs in Seattle.
From the picture the stop signs in question appear to the correct size.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:38 PM

2,461 posts, read 3,966,984 times
Quote:

You don't want to kill your momentum, get back up to speed, stop,
get your momentum back up, stop, again and again.
It's annoying as a pickup truck driver too.

It's really annoying when driving a loaded dump truck, where it takes shifting through 5 gears to get up to 15 mph. I'm sure if I squash a bicyclist while running a stop sign they'll totally understand.

Quote:

It is quite annoying as a biker to always stop when there is obviously
no police car there.
Fixed.

They talked to the Mayor of West Homestead on the afternoon news on KDKA radio today, and he said the genesis of this proposed enforcement action is that last weekend, one of their officers observed that there was so much bike traffic running the stop signs that it was an impediment to the vehicular traffic in and out of the mall. He said that while his officer threatened to issue citations to a number of bicyclists who ran the stop signs, (some of whom became argumentative), none have yet been issued.

He also discussed the fact that it's not yet been clarified whether the stop signs on the trail carry any actual legal authority, because, among other reasons, the council has not yet passed an ordinance specifying them as such. He was also awaiting a legal opinion as to whether, once the council passes such an ordinance, they will actually be binding under the state Motor Vehicle Code.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 103,241,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
He was also awaiting a legal opinion as to whether, once the council passes such an ordinance, they will actually be binding under the state Motor Vehicle Code.
If bikes can't be bound to motor vehicle code, they have no business on the streets whatsoever.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:31 PM

2,461 posts, read 3,966,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If bikes can't be bound to motor vehicle code, they have no business on the streets whatsoever.
The issue wasn't whether bikes are bound by the code, but whether the code extends to a "bikes only" trail.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 103,241,455 times
Quote:
The issue wasn't whether bikes are bound by the code, but whether the code extends to a "bikes only" trail.
If the trail is crossing a motor vehicle road, that stop sign darn well apply.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:19 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,269 posts, read 3,521,676 times
Tickets for what? Failing to stop on a sidewalk? This is BS. The bikes are riding on a sidewalk, so how do you defend that in court? Yes it is important that the bikes look both ways to keep from being hit by a car, but they are still just bikes riding on a sidewalk. Not sure how this is a traffic violation - if you are too dumb to look for cars when crossing a hotel entrance then perhaps a conflict with an oncoming car is a proper wake up call. Bikes are fun but never offer a safe feeling when mixed with cars.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:11 AM

831 posts, read 809,576 times
Quote:
He said that while his officer threatened to issue citations to a number of bicyclists who ran the stop signs, (some of whom became argumentative), none have yet been issued
Really? Argumentative bicyclists?? What's next, dogs and cats living together??

Old 08-14-2013, 06:19 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,108,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
Really? Argumentative bicyclists?? What's next, dogs and cats living together??
I'm afraid every group has its not so good apples. I was riding with a group last night over one of the bridges, and 25-ish of us were in single file on the right, letting traffic past. Suddenly one of the group pulled out from the back to start overtaking, and cut off a car that was very responsibly passing us all. The car honked - rightly - and the dude turned around and abused him. I was embarrassed. Sure I wasn't the only one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh