Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 01:05 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times

Advertisements

Hi, moving back to the Pitts this winter.

I'm looking for information on internet services and cell phone reception in the Highland Park area of the east end.

Looking for price, quality and reception.
Not necessarily in that order.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 01:11 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,198 times
There's fios in most of hp and east lib.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:47 PM

172 posts, read 333,034 times
I live in Highland Park and have Verizon FIOS internet and a Verizon wireless cell phone.

The cell phone reception is fine - I can make and take calls throughout my house and throughout the neighborhood. I have a smartphone and have enjoyed internet and email access through the phone in the neighborhood, too.

I think the two main internet providers in Highland Park are Verizon and Comcast. I think the price depends on whether or not you bundle internet with phone and cable TV (which Verizon calls FIOS TV), so I would suggest looking up prices online. I have not heard great things about Comcast internet or Comcast home phone - the internet can be slow and the phone service can cut out, or so I'm told. Our internet is fast and our home phone is clear, so I'm satisfied. We pay about $80/month for home phone and home internet through Verizon.

Note that FIOS is Verizon's fast internet, and I think it has multiple speeds. You can also get non-FIOS internet, but I think it's much slower than FIOS.

In exchange for this information, I would ask you to please never, ever, EVER refer to Pittsburgh as "Pitts" or "the Pitts" ever, EVER again. The city is either Pittsburgh or the Burgh. The local state school is either the University of Pittsburgh or Pitt. The abbreviation for the city is PGH.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:52 PM

Thanks.
I can't believe internet is that expensive!
Since I left Pittsburgh, I've lived in Asia and Europe.
I pay 29€/month for phone, cable and very fast internet in Germany.

This will be a rude awakening.

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:38 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Cable/Internet/Phone is extremely expensive. We pay almost $200/month for all three services through Comcast. We'd switch to Verizon FiOS if and when it becomes available in our neighborhood.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:50 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I can't believe internet is that expensive!
Since I left Pittsburgh, I've lived in Asia and Europe.
I pay 29€/month for phone, cable and very fast internet in Germany.

This will be a rude awakening.
Welcome back to capitalism.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Magarac View Post
In exchange for this information, I would ask you to please never, ever, EVER refer to Pittsburgh as "Pitts" or "the Pitts" ever, EVER again. The city is either Pittsburgh or the Burgh. The local state school is either the University of Pittsburgh or Pitt. The abbreviation for the city is PGH.
Sorry, but you're not going to get that from me.
In fact, this incites me to use it more.
The fact that you're bolding and scolding is absurd.

I was born and raised in HP and I get to choose what I call where I live, not you.
When my property receives petty vandalism constantly, and I get to pay again and again to repair it, at a high cost to me, I choose what I call the city I live in.
Not you.

Don't want me to call it the Pitts?
Fine, clean up all of the litter and filth, and get rid of the gratuitous petty (and expensive) vandalism.
And the violence.
Then we'll talk.

Thanks for the information, but you can keep your holier than thou attitude.

Last edited by chielgirl; 08-13-2013 at 10:53 PM..

Old 08-13-2013, 10:45 PM

I saw your post prior to your edit. Why do you have constant vandalism? Are you living in the ghetto or something?

I sure hope the high cost of internet, litter, filth, vandalism and violence sends you running back to Europe or Asia soon.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I saw your post prior to your edit. Why do you have constant vandalism? Are you living in the ghetto or something?

I sure hope the high cost of internet, litter, filth, vandalism and violence sends you running back to Europe or Asia soon.
I didn't edit anything.
Joe edited his post to scold me and I responded (in a new post) to his unnecessary comments.

I live in Highland Park by Fulton school.
Same address and phone number for about 60 years.

If I had enough money for retirement, I would leave.
If you want to fund me, I'll be happy to leave. $1M should do it.
You could take up a collection.

I've always had to laugh at "Pittsburgh Pride" and the other hopeful, albeit detached from reality, slogans of the city.
Ever look at the filth in the rivers?
I was disgusted at the filth of the Pitts when I visited in July.

There's a lot less gratuitous violence and vandalism in both Asia and Germany.

Last edited by chielgirl; 08-13-2013 at 11:00 PM..

Old 08-13-2013, 11:23 PM

Good luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh